Best Excuse For Not Finding A Cache.

Keith Watson

Best excuse: Not worth risking my life over.

Latest excuse (on the weekend): Too dadgum hot to walk the 500 meters.

Most memorable excuse for ending the caching day (still found the cache afterwards though before heading home), fell into the frozen stream.

I always thought death by misadventure would be the best way to die, until confronted by the very real possibility. :)

Heh, that's one of the reasons people have stopped following me to caches! Was it the 12 foot drop while snowshow caching, or the scaling the cliff along the Bruce that brough you to this conclusion?

My best excuse for not finding the cache was when another cacher had it and was making their log as I searched.... that was an interesting meeting! :)

TOMTEC

A slightly humerous excuse for a DNF! It went something like this...

One day last summer I was hunting down a cache in the bushes near the beach. The canine was getting impatient waiting for me and decided to go explore the beach nearby. She re-calls well and is usually caching off-leash when we're in the wilds. On this day a group of children came across my friendly social pup and I could hear them having fun throwing sticks for her and playing with her. I called her back to me a couple of times, discrete whistles so not to give away my position, but she kept running back to the kids on the beach (go figure). About 10 minutes later, I heard them decided collectively that this must be a stray doggie and they were going to take her home and ask if they could keep her! I decided to give up the hunt for the cache, make my presence known and claim back the Canine Landshark. I finally made it back to find the cache last weekend!

Best excuses for not finding a cache?

Ambulance driver didn't want to detour on the way to the hospital.

GC2C1E Feb 9/03 (not logged)

Cache solidly frozen in place.

GC8BCD Jan 15/06

Cacher solidly frozen in place.

just about any cache at the end of a night caching session in the wintertime.

Last week I had the pleasure of caching in Mexico. While looking for a cache just outside the gates at Chichen Itza, we got to the posted co-ordinates and looked down as the cache page suggested we do. Now I want you to picture this:

Two Canadians holding a GPS, looking down at a pound or so of cocaine, with the Policia Federale car pulling into the parking lot, in the middle of the jungle.

We decided our Spanish really wasn't good enough to fully explain geocaching and we high-tailed it to the tour bus before we got in some serious hot water. For all I know, the cache is under that other cache with the white powder in it....

2 GPS units literally 6 inches apart showing the cache 5m and 43m away... and that was the most accurate it got that day. Back to the same spot ten mintes later.... 23m away.

That was over a year ago, we return for attempt #2 on Jun 5th..... then maybe my poker hand will be finished (though I doubt I can even dream of beating Keith Watson's FLUSH :laughing: )

:) The Blue Quasar

(though I doubt I can even dream of beating Keith Watson's FLUSH :) )

:) The Blue Quasar

Someone actually has a full house now...I just haven't updated the standing in a long time. :(

If you're stuck, just resort to the hints...I try to make them as accurate as possible.

Well, it was dark and there was a lot of critter activity by the cache. I couldn't see the rats, but I sure could hear them!

...This weekend, RCMP boxed in my car as it was parked in a pull-out. I sheepishly returned as my search was visible from the pull-out. They informed me there was no parking there. I made an excuse that 'I thought there was a trail to the park here.'

One mountie shook my hand and let me go. I thought that was strange (the handshake). Anyone police officers know why they did that?

One mountie shook my hand and let me go. I thought that was strange (the handshake). Anyone police officers know why they did that?

Of course there is only one logical explanation... tinfoilhat.gif he was collecting a DNA sample from you! tinfoilhat.gif

But what would I know? (Yes, that is a tin foil hat... not a pot) :unsure:

TOMTEC

It was his polite way of saying "I think your story is bollocks, but it's late and I can't be bothered to write you a ticket and you look duly sheepish already"

A friend from Ottawa mentioned this story to me online - From Ottawa, GAG7 - Rally Cache

I hope I don't get banished from this web-site for saying this, but, I had to make a second attempt at this one. Not because it was difficult or I couldn't find it, but because the first attempt I walked around some trees off the trail and came face to face (?) with a woman on her knees performing "favours" on her boyfriend. When I ran into them, she screamed and he started to laugh. After a few seconds of shock, all I could say was "Oh. Sorry, man", then quickly turned around and hurried away. Good thing I wasn't introducing my neighbor's kids to the sport of geocaching at that particular moment.

So, on a perhaps completely unrelated note... Anyone know what GAG stands for? :o

Edited by Juicepig

A friend from Ottawa mentioned this story to me online - From Ottawa, GAG7 - Rally Cache

WOW. That's pretty crazy, I'd say you take the gold. Our best excuse is that the fake rock the micro was hidden in was the exact same colour as all the other rocks, making it impossible to pick out in the gigantic beach of same coloured rocks. Sigh.

Edited by the_brundages

We've had the crying cranky baby not letting us look any longer, and the deer standing practically on top the cache excuses, but this has to be our best dnf excuse!

Um, I've had a deer jump over me while I was logging GCJFW3. That kind of thing tends to wake you up, but it doesn't really count for this thread: I found the cache.

Then there was Short Hills --- the time that I came across the same group of deer about four times. The males in the group had me a little nervous as they were getting ready to drive me off, but fortunately they just stood their ground and the GPSr finally decided I should go another direction.

GC3C4F - Critters living in the cache hiding spot:

c425880b-dcbf-4158-8c0a-ebd0fdc54b82.jpg

Ouch! I am thinking of the way I poke sticks into such hiding spots. I think I'll start poking more gently from now on.

If you look carefully on the lower right, you can see the stick I was poking in there (and eventually dropped)

Here is an excuse for not finding a cache... I could not make it!

GCY72P : Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now!

Holy - are you the anonomous one? That cache is just insane!

Our excuse doesn't compare with most of you, however, our more unusual excuse was that the tree was chopped down where the cache was hiding in. It was not in a forest mind you, but a manicured area outside a shopping plaza.

Here is an excuse for not finding a cache... I could not make it!

GCY72P : Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now!

Holy - are you the anonomous one? That cache is just insane!

Our excuse doesn't compare with most of you, however, our more unusual excuse was that the tree was chopped down where the cache was hiding in. It was not in a forest mind you, but a manicured area outside a shopping plaza.

No I'm not the one who tried, I was just pointing it out.

As for a good reason for not finding a cache, back in 2004 we had an event cache in a park and a few went after Malak's CITO cache in the woods (GCGJ1D), turns out the tree was hit by lightning and nothing was left but a burned down tree stump. Lucky for the majority that the owner was on hand to confirm the location so everybody that was at the event got to log the cache anyways.

Edited by AV Dezign