Our First Ftf!

A personal opinion is that people who rush out in their cars for a FTF are not considering there green profile. I know several Cachers who will travel tens of miles everyday, just to get an FTF. I hate to think how much Carbon Dioxide emission they cause. I have done FTF's but I never make a special trip; they are usually done on a caching day out.

Saying that I ma guilty of increasing emissions also Xmas being one case :rolleyes:

A personal opinion is that people who rush out in their cars for a FTF are not considering there green profile. I know several Cachers who will travel tens of miles everyday, just to get an FTF. I hate to think how much Carbon Dioxide emission they cause. I have done FTF's but I never make a special trip; they are usually done on a caching day out.

Saying that I ma guilty of increasing emissions also Xmas being one case :(

Hmmm. And I suppose you live in a house built from reclaimed materials, use renewable energy sources, grow your own food, and cycle everywhere to go caching? :rolleyes:

If everybody considered their green profile I doubt we'd even get out of bed in the morning, let alone enjoy a healthy pasttime such as geocaching and getting FTF's!!! :(

Does it get addictive doing FTFs?

No, I've not found them addictive at all, only stumbled across a few on my travel. Actually found one yesterday :(

Saying that I ma guilty of increasing emissions also Xmas being one case :(

However, saying that, I have only gone out of my way once by more than about 10 miles for one, and the nearest to home I went by bike. :rolleyes:

Some good points above.

In our case this particular cache was en route to work so we left earlier than normal, stopped on the way before continuing.

If we'd gone out last night in the excitement of "Oooo, Oooo, a potential FTF" then this would certainly have been the case. However, as we're not big FTFers (obviously!) we kind of assumed someone would have been out last night beating us to it. It was only by having a look first thing this morning and seeing no found logs that we stopped en route.

Does it get addictive doing FTFs?

No, I've not found them addictive at all, only stumbled across a few on my travel. Actually found one yesterday :(

Not addicted at all:

May 30 by The Bongtwashes (319 found)

FTF #67

Yoy must have read that this is on my way home from work! Although I saw last night that this had been published, I waited until this evening before venturing to find it. Certainly never knew that this place existed, amazing how much more of the local countryside I get to see nowadays. Parked as recommended, and just followed the footpaths, although I did have to wait for a jogger who was tip-toeing along the edge of a particularly muddy stretch. If he turned round I wonder what he thought as I just marched straight through. Found quite quickly, once I had negotiated the climb. Toot TB and torch keyring, left keyring. TFTC

Bob

:rolleyes::P:(:):D

We love going after FTF's when we get the opportunity. We logged 12 FTF's over last weekend and loved being the FTF on every one :rolleyes::P:(

Did we use the car - you bet we did - the caches were all over our local area and it would not have been possible to get to them all any other way.

Were we responsible for extra pollution of the environment - I guess so, but I work from home so no car journey to work for me so I think we're still probably polluting it less than a lot of others.

As has been said on here so many times, everyone plays the game differently - this is one of the ways we play it and enjoy the buzz of the FTF chase. It's not for everyone but that's ok too :(.

Well done on your FTF Bozza :)

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

We love going after FTF's when we get the opportunity. We logged 12 FTF's over last weekend and loved being the FTF on every one :rolleyes::( :(

Blimey - 12 FTFs in one hit. How long had they been there for? My impression is that the new caches tend to get hit almost immediately - to get round 12 before anyone else is quite an achievement...

I got the first one started (it was a multi involving 2-3 miles driving between each of the 3 stages) within 1/2 an hour of the cache being published as it starts not far from home (but ends up a lot further from home). By the time I'd done it, it was mid-evening and I had an urgent appointment with a few bottles of ice cold beer :rolleyes:

The rest were then done over the following day and finishing off the following morning :(

Blimey - 12 FTFs in one hit. How long had they been there for? My impression is that the new caches tend to get hit almost immediately - to get round 12 before anyone else is quite an achievement...

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Of course it's addictive!

Only last night I found what will be number 200 on my GeocacheUK FTF stats... Which means that I'm currently on a shade over 50% FTFs as far as that site is concerned.

However, it only counts caching in the UK, and I also have FTFs in USA and Turkey...

However, I simply haven't had as much time for caching as I would like recently, so chasing FTFs is my way of regulating it!

Bob Aldridge

Different people like different aspects of the game.

To begin with we didn't really worry about FTFs, but once we had our first we were hooked. There's quite a lot of competition here in Bucks so you have to be fast! You do get a bit paranoid though - worrying that someone else is going to beat you to it.

Also - we've met other cachers through trying to get a FTF. You go through that whole are they/aren't they thing (before you spot the GPSr in their hand!)

Seeing as you don't live anywhere near us, good luck! :)

Geoff

[edited for speeling]

Edited by housefamily

I love FTF's we only have three to our name but I love been the first, you get to see what type of hider the cache owner really is plus sometimes you find kewl FTF prizes. We drove 35 miles round trip for one the other day, and we only beat the 2nd to find by about 30 mins. Most of all I love the rush of finding the cache and opening it to see if the log is empty...