Help! I Don't Know What I'm Doing.

b1rdbrain

Hello my name is Jay aka B1rdbrain. i just got into this and went out last monday for the holliday looking for 3 caches in my area. i didn't find a single one. i got real dirty looking and i just need some help to see how it is done. the first one was Northrige 1994 this was a cool thought find the fake rock and look at stuff from an earthquake that i lived through. the 2nd was a del taco down the street i thought it would be quick being it was down the street but this one was listed as a light pole hide i opened all the light poles but one and i didn't have the tools to open it. (i just know it's in the one i didn't open. i'll be back for that one) so i think if i could be told about a group meeting then i could go and get some pointers. email me at b1rdbrain@yahoo.com or go to http://www.myspace.com/b1rdbrain

thank you for you're time

<_<:lol::o:o:D

Hello my name is Jay aka B1rdbrain. i just got into this and went out last monday for the holliday looking for 3 caches in my area. i didn't find a single one. i got real dirty looking and i just need some help to see how it is done. the first one was Northrige 1994 this was a cool thought find the fake rock and look at stuff from an earthquake that i lived through. the 2nd was a del taco down the street i thought it would be quick being it was down the street but this one was listed as a light pole hide i opened all the light poles but one and i didn't have the tools to open it. (i just know it's in the one i didn't open. i'll be back for that one) so i think if i could be told about a group meeting then i could go and get some pointers. email me at b1rdbrain@yahoo.com or go to http://www.myspace.com/b1rdbrain

thank you for you're time

<_<:lol::o;):D

First off welcome............ :o

Next dont give up, you will find I would start off with a one star diff. that will help you get the hang of things and see how its done also hunt larger caches regular or small size, as for taking the lamp apart I would make sure you are in the right spot before you do somthing like that you want to be 100% sure you are not going to damage private property. Also how well do you know you gps, I know that was my issues at first.

Have fun

Jake

Team Jsam

Edited by Team Jsam

looks like maybe you are hunting for micros. they are difficult for first finds. the light pole cache you described did you undo the 'electrical access cover' (not recomended!), or did you lift the 'lamp skirt' (sheetmetal covering the bolts that hold up the lamp pole)? no tools are needed.

try some regular sized caches first. they will be somewhat easier to find.

cqedens137

Hi and welcome to the world of geocaching!

The first cache you looked for is the Welcome to Northridge: 1994 cache. That's a multi-cache. This means that the actual cache is NOT at the coords listed. According to the web page the first waypoint has 4 numbers on a pole you must find and write down. There is no physical cache at that location. Go to the second waypoint and do a bunch of math. This will give you the final waypoint where the real cache is located.

That being said, this owner gives a spoiler with the exact location listed on the page. I noticed the two previous cachers also could not find the fake rock with the cache so it may very well be missing. This cache is a level 3 cache which means it may be hard for a beginner. Try some level 1 or 1.5 caches first.

Oh yes, one cacher who did not find the fake rock listed this as a find anyway. Most owners and geocachers find that to be in poor taste. A "find" usually means physically signing a log book. Being in the area or looking at where the hide might be doesn't count.

Hang in there. You'll get the hang of things pretty quick. It is fun to do.

Aviod micros. Do a few 1/1's until you get the hang of things. Then move up the scale when you feel confident. If you have a friend who is an experienced cacher, ask him to go along on a few finds, this will help tremendously. Since your Reseda is the LA area's Reseda, you have more non-micro caches available than you are ever likely to be able to find in an entire life time. Avoid mircos. :(:(:rolleyes:

Edited by Team Cotati

:(:rolleyes::P:(:)

thank you very much for the advice. i just found my first 7 micros and i think they were kinda hard the first one was "I Wish I Had One Of These In My Yard" and the 2nd was "You Would Be Smart Not To Make This You're Final" i'm going back to Del Taco to get the light pole now i know about the skert. also found 5 more today

Edited by b1rdbrain