Poll: Do You Use Waas ( In Other Words, Is It Enabled Or Disabled)?

I usually leave it enabled (60CSx) - I can usually get corrections from 47 and sometimes 35. One of these days I'll do a systematic test to see if enabling and disabling really makes much of a difference. If I were anticipating a trip that involved tunnels, I would disable it to avoid the "tunnel lockup" problem.

I normally have WAAS enabled over here in the south of the UK.

The Legend Cx is usually quoting +-4-5m before EGNOS kicks in, but then quotes down to +-1-2m once its got a lock on an EGNOS bird.

I only turn it off when the batteries are getting low to save some juice and give a bit more runtime.

Adrian

Edited by UKGeoCyclist

I always have turned it off on my CSX.

Not only that I mostly can't see a WAAS satellite while mountaineering, I also didn't see a better track for a MTB tour with access to the WAAS satellite.

I did the tour twice, with and without WAAS turned on, and didn't see a difference of track accuracy on the map (and both tracks were VERY accurate).

Therefore I don't use it to save some battery life.

I leave WAAS on if it's available on whatever unit I'm using.

For the iFinder GO, there's no noticeable difference in speed whether WAAS is enabled or not. There are other features (like track smoothing) that has more affect on performance. Battery life is not an issue on this unit, as I get ~30 hours on rechargeable NiMH battery with WAAS enabled.

May I suggest ALWAYS using WAAS when hiding a cache?

No Waas joy here on the East Coast til fall. :)

I leave Waas turned on anyway.

Not true, I was in northeastern PA last weekend and my IFinder GO had WAAS some of the time. I even occasionally get it here in the NY metro area (I had read that the further north and east you go the less likely you'll get the signal until the fall).

As you can guess, I leave mine turned on. There's even an option where you will only get a reading if WAAS is locked, but then I'd almost never get a fix :)

Of course I have WAAS enabled. This is because there is no rational reason to do otherwise. :(:D:(

I have heard people say it is an additional drain on the batteries. If this is so, then that would be a rational reason.

And exactly how much battery drain would that be for which some make a rational decision to disable an accuracy improving feature? :(B):)

Of course I have WAAS enabled. This is because there is no rational reason to do otherwise. :laughing::):huh:

I have heard people say it is an additional drain on the batteries. If this is so, then that would be a rational reason.

The signal has a higher data rate than GPS and a more processor intensive error correcting scheme.

Of course I have WAAS enabled. This is because there is no rational reason to do otherwise. :laughing::D:)

And exactly how much battery drain would that be for which some make a rational decision to disable an accuracy improving feature? :):D:huh:
Hmm, I don't care about that.

To me it is irrelevant, if I have a theoretical accuracy improvement from 15 feet to 6 feet, which does not mirror the reality.

At rationality: :)

Fact 1 is, that my tracks are more than exact there where I have been (without WAAS), when I look at them on the maps.

Fact 2 is, I use the GPSr mainly in the mountains, where I don't see a WAAS satellite very often.

Fact 3 is, WAAS consumes more battery power.

Fact 4 is, WAAS does not improve the accuracy of my tracks in a way I can recognize on a map.

Resulting fact 5 is, that I always have WAAS disabled.

Is that rational enough ? :D

Edited by NewZealand