Cacher's Favorite Foods.

I know from the topic this seems like it's off topic and silly, well I assure you it's only the latter.

I'm planning on going to go to an event in my area that is being presented as a pot-luck. Everyone's supposed to bring things if they can, but I'm pretty stumped on what to bring. Chips and drinks have been covered, and I wouldn't mind actually doing some cooking.

So, after a long day of caching what would you guys want to eat? Thanks in advance for ideas. <_<

I know from the topic this seems like it's off topic and silly, well I assure you it's only the latter.

I'm planning on going to go to an event in my area that is being presented as a pot-luck. Everyone's supposed to bring things if they can, but I'm pretty stumped on what to bring. Chips and drinks have been covered, and I wouldn't mind actually doing some cooking.

So, after a long day of caching what would you guys want to eat? Thanks in advance for ideas. <_<

Meaty lasagna is always good. At least that's my opinion. And since you asked for it, there you have it! :lol:

Katerbug, anything sweet and finger-foody would be great! I've seen a lot of geocachers talking about the HUGE tree they had to climb (complete with hand movements) or describing the tiny nano they found (again needing the hand.) As long as you keep food in one hand, that's all that's necessary!

What about chocolate-covered pretzels? Yummy!

Last event I went to, I made chocolate bread and brought a jar of peanut butter for chocolate-peanut-butter sandwiches (although next time I'm thinking of adding marshmallow fluff too!) It went over well and isn't in any danger by sitting out at the picnic table.

I agree, finger food is key!!!

Katerbug, anything sweet and finger-foody would be great! I've seen a lot of geocachers talking about the HUGE tree they had to climb (complete with hand movements) or describing the tiny nano they found (again needing the hand.) As long as you keep food in one hand, that's all that's necessary!

What about chocolate-covered pretzels? Yummy!

<_< Good ideas, I certainly wouldn't want anyone falling out of a tree on my account. And as for the pretzels, I'll bring some just for you if you plan on being in attendance this weekend :lol:

It's not an off topic or silly topic at all, besides…

(Why don't we have a recipe book already? And yes, donate the proceeds to charity. <_< )

Okay got that out of the way.

If you have to provide a meat dish to feed 40 cachers you could cook burgers, brats, and dogs on the grill. Or fry up some loose burger meat a couple days before, make Sloppy Joes and then freeze it. On cache day thaw it out on heat it up in a crock-pot.

I say aim to bring something that won't be overly duplicated. Usually many people will bring chips, veggies and dip, fried chicken, pre-made deli salads or pre-made desserts etc. because they are easy.

If you have a good tossed salad recipe or casserole recipe, that will go over welll and not likely be duplicated. I tend to like to bring taco salad or some sort of casserole. Mini sandwiches or rolls go over well too. If you look at allrecipes.com it has some good ideas. Also, sometimes people are expected to bring their own drinks and someone stepping up and offering to bring a few cases of pop or something in a cooler is appreciated. Easy for you to bring and then others don't all have to lug coolers there. Just promentently post a note that you are doing so there, so they know!

So, after a long day of caching what would you guys want to eat? Thanks in advance for ideas. :lol:

Well the outings and gatherings I always went to I brought a variety of things.

Pulled meat (pork or beef) with unsliced hawiian rolls for sandwiches.

Sliced polish sausages baked in bar-b-q sauce (in a crock pot, using mild or hot B-B-Q sauce. Mark which is which).

Baked beans with bacon. (Crock pot served hot)

Potatoe salad (on ice).

A cooler of assorted wine coolers or soft drinks.

(If children are present, then have chilled juicy juice boxes handy). :D

A few pies (apple or cherry)

Not to mention chocolate frosted brownies, (No, not the 'special' ones) or frosted cupcakes.

Then there's B-B-Q legs & wings. Mild and/or hot.

Assorted deli sliced shaved meat platter (Rolled for finger food)

Assorted cheese dish platter

Vegetable platter (Baby carrots, red redishes, green & black olives, pickles, green onions)

Don't forget the salt and pepper shakers. And plastic silverware, paper plates, plastic glasses and napkins. *everyone does*

Fruit bowl (apple slices, orange slices, grapes, strawberry slices, pineapple slices) Stir it all together with Cool Whip and chill for 2 hours before serving.

And let's not forget ice cold watermelon and cantalope. *Bring a big knife* Hockey mask optional.

And plenty of ice and an assortment of coolers.

Because we all know a group of geocachers coming back from a great hunt are going to be hungry, and their sugar level's going to be low.

I hope this helps. If you need any recipies, let me know. <_<

My favorite things to take that I never have to bring leftovers home.... Hash brown casserole (very easy and is always a bit hit) and Rice Krispies treats - who doesn't love those?????

If you make Rice Krispies treats, be sure to add mini chocolate chips to the mix.

For all us chocolate, geocaching lovers. <_<

My favorite things to take that I never have to bring leftovers home.... Hash brown casserole (very easy and is always a bit hit) and Rice Krispies treats - who doesn't love those?????

If you make Rice Krispies treats, be sure to add mini chocolate chips to the mix.

For all us chocolate, geocaching lovers. <_<

If you're going to do that, might as well just go all out and make them with Cocoa Krispies too.

It's not an off topic or silly topic at all, besides…

(Why don't we have a recipe book already? And yes, donate the proceeds to charity. <_< )

Okay got that out of the way.

If you have to provide a meat dish to feed 40 cachers you could cook burgers, brats, and dogs on the grill. Or fry up some loose burger meat a couple days before, make Sloppy Joes and then freeze it. On cache day thaw it out on heat it up in a crock-pot.

Best idea i've seen in the past few days

Thanks very much, guys. I've got some pretty good ideas now, all that's left is the finding the recipes and cooking them part. <_<

Grilled Buffalo Wings

4 lbs wings severed at joint with tips removed

1 1/2 cups Franks Lousiana Hot Sauce

1 stick butter

1/2 tbsp molasses

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp yellow mustard

cayenne pepper to taste (the more, the hotter)

Blue cheese dressing

1. Grill chicken wings until done.

2. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients (except dressing) in sauce pan and heat until butter is melted.

3. Toss wings with sauce and serve with dressing on the side.

Faux Barbecue Pulled Pork

Smoky brine

1 pork shoulder

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup salt

1 gallon water (or enough to cover shoulder)

2 2 oz. bottles liquid smoke

Rub

6 tbsps brown sugar

1 tbsp powdered garlic

1 tbsp powered onion

1 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp powdered mustard

1 tbsp salt

1/2 tbsp black pepper

1/2 dried oregano

1/2 tbsp dried thyme

1/2 tbsp rubbed sage

BBQ sauce (NC style)

2 cups cider vinegar

1 tbsp ketchup

1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp molasses

Combine all brine ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the pork shoulder. Stir to dissolve.

Add pork shoulder and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.

Meanwhile combine all rub ingredients in a bowl.

Set oven to 250 degrees. Remove shoulder from brine and rinse well. Discard brine.

Let shoulder drain for a half hour and dry with a towel.

Rub shoulder liberally with rub, pressing it into the meat. Place in oven and cook at low heat for 7-12 hours (depending on size) until meat falls easily off the bone, but before it gets dried out.

Remove shoulder from oven, let cool a bit, then pull meat from bone with fingers. Serve with BBQ sauce.

Edited by briansnat

If you're looking for something fast and sweet, this recipe is the BEST! You may need to make several batches if you're headed to a large gathering, as these won't last long. :rolleyes:

Paradise Bars

-------------------

saltine crackers

1 C. margarine

1 C. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1-12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pecans, chopped

Line a cookie sheet with foil, edges up. Line foil with saltine crackers, salt side up.

In saucepan, melt the margarine and sugar. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Take off heat and stir in vanilla. Pour batter over saltines; spread evenly. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Cover with chocolate chips. Let them melt for a minute, then spread evenly. Top with chopped nuts. Refrigerate. Break into pieces when cool.

Patti