Cursed Cache

I placed my first cache in Ute Valley here in Colorado Springs last week, and it's beginning to look cursed.

The day before the cache approval there was a grass fire that burned to within 20 yards of the cache site. The first day of the listing there was a second fire just north of the cache area. The second finder abandoned the hunt on her first attempt because there was a rattler on the site, and even though the cache itself is on high ground, there was a flash flood warning today while the third cacher was hunting it.

Has anyone else seen a cache where nature and the elements conspired against it being found?

I thought about that, but honestly, as long as the valley isn't flooding or on fire this is an easy hike.

LMAO!

We'll be there in 2 weeks maybe we'll get lucky enough to find it on a good day. I have been worried about lions and tigers and bears. Now I need to add water and fire to my list. :rolleyes:

Here in the East, the heavy rains and flooding have managed to wash away several caches in my area.

Just this weekend, I came upon 4 caches that had gone missing. Thankfully, 3 of these had been quickly replaced by a good samaritan and I was able to make the finds. :rolleyes:

One of my own caches WOULD have been underwater, if it had not been muggled just a week or two prior to the monsoon. I replaced this cache this weekend.

I placed my first cache in Ute Valley here in Colorado Springs last week, and it's beginning to look cursed.

The day before the cache approval there was a grass fire that burned to within 20 yards of the cache site. The first day of the listing there was a second fire just north of the cache area. The second finder abandoned the hunt on her first attempt because there was a rattler on the site, and even though the cache itself is on high ground, there was a flash flood warning today while the third cacher was hunting it.

Has anyone else seen a cache where nature and the elements conspired against it being found?

Have you ever thought that you may have placed the cache over sacred grounds, and the Geo-gods are telling everyone to "Back off!"

Are there any burial mounds near the cache? Any animal skins with bleached bones hanging in the trees nearby?

Maybe the gods are just enjoying a good laugh at your expense.

"Hey look, here comes another one of those crazy geo nuts..."

"Geocachers. They're called that because...*scratches chin* It has something to do with a million dollar satelites and a GPS."

"Great People Skills?"

"No! That funny looking do-hicky thing that seems to be glued to their hand. What did you think it was, a cell phone?"

"No! So... what should we do this time?"

"Well we tried fire and floods and they still come. The snake wasn't much help, but it was fun watching that one Geo nut running away screaming like a girl.

"I thought it was a girl?"

"One can never tell from this distance. Now lets see... We could do the locust thing. That will really scare the sh** out of them. What say we throw the snake in too. For good measure. We'll have him sitting near the cache, just out of sight until they reach down for it. Between the rattling and buzzing, they won't know if their coming or going."

'Yeah... do the Locust thing. And tell that stupid snake its rattle and strike, not rattle and look stupid."

"Shhh! Here they come..."

So if you hear a loud rattling by the cache and an even louder buzzing sound behind, and the skies suddenly turn dark, don't look back, just run like he** back to the car.

But try to sign the log book first. :)

Colorado is haunted.

Have you ever thought that you may have placed the cache over sacred grounds, and the Geo-gods are telling everyone to "Back off!"

Are there any burial mounds near the cache? Any animal skins with bleached bones hanging in the trees nearby?

Maybe the gods are just enjoying a good laugh at your expense.

"Hey look, here comes another one of those crazy geo nuts..."

"Geocachers. They're called that because...*scratches chin* It has something to do with a million dollar satelites and a GPS."

"Great People Skills?"

"No! That funny looking do-hicky thing that seems to be glued to their hand. What did you think it was, a cell phone?"

"No! So... what should we do this time?"

"Well we tried fire and floods and they still come. The snake wasn't much help, but it was fun watching that one Geo nut running away screaming like a girl.

"I thought it was a girl?"

"One can never tell from this distance. Now lets see... We could do the locust thing. That will really scare the sh** out of them. What say we throw the snake in too. For good measure. We'll have him sitting near the cache, just out of sight until they reach down for it. Between the rattling and buzzing, they won't know if their coming or going."

'Yeah... do the Locust thing. And tell that stupid snake its rattle and strike, not rattle and look stupid."

"Shhh! Here they come..."

So if you hear a loud rattling by the cache and an even louder buzzing sound behind, and the skies suddenly turn dark, don't look back, just run like he** back to the car.

But try to sign the log book first. :)

Actually, there was a half eaten deer haunch about 1/4 mile from the site when I placed it. I guess the laughter I'm always hearing isn't the TV, but the gods laughing at me. Well, if it's locusts tomorrow we'll know you're right.

Sorry, I was out of town last week, then moved to a new house over the weekend. Now I'm stuck at jbex through Saturday evening then I'm going out of town again for a week. I'll get to your cache eventually though. Ute Valley Park is on my way home if I take the long way. :laughing:

I placed 7 caches up a nearby hill/mountain last January. I smelled smoke yesterday and ran out of my office to look because that area was devastated by the So California fires 2 years ago. All were safe.

Then I get pictures my son took of the fires you are referring to, along with news updates. I will be visiting them at the end of this month if our plans work out. I expect this mess to be cleared up and to have an uneventful caching experience.

I really do wish you the best and I am looking forward to caching in the area. I hope I get a chance to see that your "curse" has been broken.

Sorry, I was out of town last week, then moved to a new house over the weekend. Now I'm stuck at jbex through Saturday evening then I'm going out of town again for a week. I'll get to your cache eventually though. Ute Valley Park is on my way home if I take the long way. :laughing:

I wondered where you were, usually you jump on the new ones pretty quick.

Anyway, based on the last week, when you go for this bring a fire extinguisher, hip waders, snake repellent and a motorcycle helmet.

If all that special equipment is required maybe I should raise the terrain difficulty.

:laughing: Did you leave the required offering when you placed the cache? A crisp $20 bill would be an acceptable offering and do wonders for having your cache found quickly.

The FTF prize in that cache was a 1st year Gateway balloon Pilot's pin from the Albuquerque balloon Festival, worth around $20, but you'd have to find the right buyer to get that for it.

Anyway, I'm exempt from having to leave offerings to the gods. I was directed to place this by the voices in my head. You see, when viewed from space, if you draw interconnecting lines between all caches in Colorado Springs they spell out "Help is on the way" in Golgafrinchan, a message to a fellow traveler stranded on one of Saturn's lesser moons. I suspect the Tralfamadorans are trying to sabotage the message, and that's the ultimate explanation behind these attacks.

"Blue's Blue View" isn't exactly cursed, but the cache container disappeared twice, and the new container makes the cache name mean nothing . . . :rolleyes:

The first time the container moved from its hiding place, a cacher found it and returned it to the hiding spot, which had a view of the ocean. ;)

When it went missing again, I had to replace the container with a boring small tin because I didn't have another plastic Blue Whale. :unsure: