Would This Cache Idea Be Accepted?

I need an opinion regarding a cache idea and it's acceptability. I would like to hide 6 microcaches that would be normal in every way. They would also include a single digit number. These numbers would be the last three digits of the Northing and Westing coordinates of a 7th and Regular cache. All 7 would be logable. The 7th cache however could not be found without finding the 6 micros. The position of this 7th cache would be given to the aprover of course. Any comments?

We have a Solar System series here that's sort of like what you describe ... 9 individual unrelated caches (or than that they are named after each of the planets) which each contain a number and a log sheet.

After retrieving all 9 caches, you use the numbers to calculate the coordinates for a 10th cache listed as a "puzzle" cache.

I would think you'd have a better chance of succeeding if you had some kind of theme tying them all together vs just putting out six micros for the sake of completely covering an area. In the case of the planets cache, the hider actually used relative distances between the planets in determining placement ... which made fetching Pluto a two hour drive from the Sun!

You describe a fairly common setup for a "series" of caches. Go for it. But be sure that each cache stands on its own merits. Put them at independent locations you want people to visit. If you plunk down the six micros spaced 600 feet apart along the same trail, then that's a multicache and your cache reviewer may ask you to combine them into a single multicache.

You describe a fairly common setup for a "series" of caches. Go for it. But be sure that each cache stands on its own merits. Put them at independent locations you want people to visit. If you plunk down the six micros spaced 600 feet apart along the same trail, then that's a multicache and your cache reviewer may ask you to combine them into a single multicache.

Why does Groundspeak dictate what kind of caches owners need to hide? A multi cache is a specific set up requring specific work to be done by the owner which is different than a cache series that happens to be linear. Forcing the cache to be of a certain type, and style of hide is not the business this site should be in. Groundspeak is not the cache owner. They only review caches and publish listings. If they want to take over owner responsiblities and the associated liabilities they could I guess stay in the business of dictating hide types.

To the OP.

The 7th cache could be a multi, or it could be a puzzle cache depending on how you set up the cache. The other 6 could stand alone.

We have a Solar System series here that's sort of like what you describe ... 9 individual unrelated caches (or than that they are named after each of the planets) which each contain a number and a log sheet.

After retrieving all 9 caches, you use the numbers to calculate the coordinates for a 10th cache listed as a "puzzle" cache.

I would think you'd have a better chance of succeeding if you had some kind of theme tying them all together vs just putting out six micros for the sake of completely covering an area. In the case of the planets cache, the hider actually used relative distances between the planets in determining placement ... which made fetching Pluto a two hour drive from the Sun!

Ditto. A theme might make it more interesting.

(We have a Solar System series out here, too!)

Yep it sounds like a series.I have had one set up along a 30 mile section of hwy.Its called Tiger Clue.Tiger is the name of the hwy.You have to find 11 reg. caches and each has a letter=number.After finding all you have the coords to a final puzzle cache.I have just started another on called Cabin Fever.1 cache for each letter of the alphabet.Each cache is a reg. cache and each has a number to keep track of.After finding all the caches you have to add all the numbers to get the coords to a final puzzle cache.All 27 are at old remanents of cabins in the forest.

been done many times. Nothing wrong with it as long as all the micros meet guidelines.

I even considered doing it with already existing caches and nothing in the existing caches that would tip off anyone what the number is for. it would be known only to the people looking for the master (puzzle) cache.

I got permission from the owners of the existing caches, but in my case, I reconsidered because the potential driving distance would be too great IMO for many cahers to want to do it (about 100 miles or more depending on route).

On the same note, one of my early FTF's was on a 4 part micro in the woods where I went back and forth between two parks 4 times. The zigzagging was a little disconcerting. the owner changed the order after my find so people wouldn't need to drive so much.

Might be a REAL concern with current gas prices.

Yep it sounds like a series.I have had one set up along a 30 mile section of hwy.Its called Tiger Clue.Tiger is the name of the hwy.You have to find 11 reg. caches and each has a letter=number.After finding all you have the coords to a final puzzle cache.I have just started another on called Cabin Fever.1 cache for each letter of the alphabet.Each cache is a reg. cache and each has a number to keep track of.After finding all the caches you have to add all the numbers to get the coords to a final puzzle cache.All 27 are at old remanents of cabins in the forest.

I'm planning to do that series when I get up to that corner of the state! Don't know if I'll have time for the cabins.