My Cache Has Been Muggled On The First Day!

I don't want to provide spoilers here, but I placed a cache in my back yard yesterday and found it muggled upon returning from work today. Fortunately, the cache is 7'X11"x11" and weighs about a hundred pounds. At least they couldn't walk away with it. I feel so violated.

Question #1 How was it muggled, exactly?

Question #2 Are you really sure you want a cache in your back yard?

Question #3 It's not archived or disabled, is it still there and with a log book? See Question #1.

I don't want to provide spoilers here, but I placed a cache in my back yard yesterday and found it muggled upon returning from work today. Fortunately, the cache is 7'X11"x11" and weighs about a hundred pounds. At least they couldn't walk away with it. I feel so violated.

Question #1 How was it muggled, exactly?

Question #2 Are you really sure you want a cache in your back yard?

Question #3 It's not archived or disabled, is it still there and with a log book? See Question #1.

The cache is a large object that is to be signed with a Sharpie marker. It sits in the alley behind the house at the end of the driveway. I found the pen maliciously destroyed and one of the pieces put back in place. We don't have a problem with placing this cache since we live in a small, quiet community. Nobody is going to walk off with this cache since it's seven feet long. Anyway, I replaced the pen. I'm just assuming they were mischievous kids making bad decisions. Granted, they weren't shooting ducks or seeking to destroy caches like Cachepolice. It still irks me though. Perhaps I'll hide the pen better.

For what it's worth I have found that quite a few cachers are a bit little leary about private property caches particularly in a residential neighborhood. I am always wondering if I am on the property I am suppose to be on. On the other hand, one of my favorite micros in on an adjoining lot of a house owned by a fellow cacher.

Like everything in caching, I think they just need to be judged on a case by case basis.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

You'd be better to change the Sharpie to a pencil.

Kids won't want to touch the pencil as they will associate it with school, and therefore avoid it at all costs.

They will, however, whiff the Sharpie and get brain damage.

edit: don't forget to add a piece of paper, your cache should have a logsheet to sign. It is somewhat frowned upon to sign a container *wink*

Edited by MountainMudbug

Interesting idea (by the way, the first time I read your post I didn't notice that it was 7 feet).

Of course, the mean and nasty part of me is saying I could go out there, find the cache, but move the Sharpie to the back of your house and see how many folks log your house. :laughing:

Edited by RichardMoore

Are you married to a non-cacher and have non-caching kids? Something to think about when hiding a cache so near your home.

Actually my entire family caches together. Today we went out with four generations. It's a very small, close community where everyone watches out for each other. If this were a large city I would never have thought of doing such a thing.