Geocache/treasure Hunt Plans...

Hi. We are newish to this and enjoy it alot. Weve set a few caches now but would want to set some thing bigger. Does anyone remember the old treasure hunts done in your car? You would drive from location to location getting clues or answers to questions on the way. We would like to do some thing like that. It would mean getting people together in one place at a set time. Rather than answering questions you would need to work out coordinates to the final location of the cache.

Befor we we get to far into the planning, we would like to know IF we are ok to organise such a gathering. Would we be breaking any Groundspeak/Geocaching/GAGB rules? It would NOT we a road race. No timing involved! It would be in the Crawley/Gatwick Airport area.

What do you think?

Matt (1/3rd of the) GeoCornettos

Are there any guidelines on hosting an event multi?

Cheers

Do you know, I've never considered it!! From what you are describing I reckon we should be able to work out something I can publish. When you have some more details why not drop me an e-mail and we can go through them and sort out any potential problems.

Cheers, Lactodorum

UK Admin

Without wanting to be a damp squib I think if you are using cars the police will want to know about it

Especially if it turns into some form of race and there are lots of participants

I was involved in organising a traditional (non-GPS!) hunt a few years ago in Hampshire

I suppose it might be regarded as some sort of road-run or 'rally' event, in which case I think the RAC have to be informed of its course... Something like that anyway. I know when my dad ran classic car events (after which my Ridgeway Run caches are named, incidentally) there had to be event insurance and all sorts of fun 'n' games with various bodies to get it ok'd. I hope your event doesn't end up so complicated as it sounds like a fun idea.

Without wanting to be a damp squib I think if you are using cars the police will want to know about it

Especially if it turns into some form of race and there are lots of participants

Could you say that for ALL caches? When a cache goes live with a FTF in it and 2 or more people set off to find it (by car to start off with) are they not 'racing' to be the first to find? As far as the police and the RAC are concerened "more than 2 people make a race/rally". Does this need looking into OR do we all need to keep quiet? Hmmm...