Cache Series Along Hiking Trails

misfyred

The Burr Oak State Park 36-cache series (BSOP01: GCTNG2) in Glouster, Ohio, by fishingohio, is great for cachers who like to combine their hobby with long, scenic hikes and backpacking. Obviously, it is a lot of work to create such a series on 23 miles of trails in a state park and I give a lot of credit to fishingohio for his efforts and for being responsible for one of my all-time favorite days of caching. My question: are there other cache series along hiking/backpacking trails in the Midwest (or elsewhere)? :laughing:

There are several in southern Indiana, some areas for you to check would be ...

1. Morgan Monroe State Forest - Rock Shelter Trail series (GCQZTX) this will take you to the first cache, there is a bookmark list on that page showing about 20 caches in this area. Hiking wise you are looking at about 15 caches along about 8-10 miles of trails.

2. Pate Hollow Trail area of Lake Monroe - Pate Hollow...what?? (GCPVHD) Pate Hollow is a new trail in the Hoosier National Forest are around Lake Monroe. Start with this cache then search nearby caches for plenty more in that area. There are also quite a few around the Terrill Ridge/Sycamore Trail area south of the Lake.

3. Further south along I-65 around the Clark State Forest Area you will find all sorts of caches along the Knobstone Trail - the KT is approx 58 miles (I think). Start by checking Indy Diver's cache series starting here (GC5D1D) Round Knob KT Cache #1 - Indy Diver has about 9-10 KT caches, by finding those you should be able to do a nearest to cache search and find others along the KT. Shaw Lake Trailhead (GCNAD1) is also in this area, and was featured on our Indigo TRAIL MIX II (GCTHGF) hike in March.

Okay so these are just my personal favorites, but there are others...McCormicks Creek State Park, Brown County State Park, Owen Putnam State Forest (site of TRAIL MIX III), on one of these pages is a bookmark list for Deermarks Favorites and Deermark Toughest either list is sure to involve Trails and "wicked" hikes. <_<

This should get you started :lol: lol

There is also a nice group of caches in north central Illinois,set up along the I&M Canal Between Peru, and Joliet done up by mostly RetiredDNR&R2. Great for a long bike ride, most of them right off the trail. Went out 1 day for a few hours and found about 8-9 caches, great historic trail, with lots to see and do.

Edited by ILBandit

Okay so these are just my personal favorites, but there are others...McCormicks Creek State Park, Brown County State Park, Owen Putnam State Forest (site of TRAIL MIX III), on one of these pages is a bookmark list for Deermarks Favorites and Deermark Toughest either list is sure to involve Trails and "wicked" hikes. :P

Um, I'd be very afriad of anything on "deermark's toughest" list! His idea of a nice stroll = my idea of a grueling hike. <_< I can't imagine what it would take for him to list it as difficult! :ph34r:

However, from the trailmixes, I've learned that Deermark seems to know of all of the caching trails in the area, so any of his bookmark lists would likely be a great place to start.