Photos Of Geocoins

I acquired a lovely geocoin to commemorate the 2006 Scottish cache bash (thanks marmal!) and I was going to send it out on it's travels as I don't collect geocoins myself. However, having thought about it, I've decided that I do want to keep it as a memento of a great weekend. I read somewhere about people taking a photograph of their coin with the tracking number showing, laminating it and sending it out. I would be happy to do this but is it OK to do something like this or do most people think that that this is not an acceptable way to send out a trackable?

I might go out of my way a bit to collect an unusual geocoin from a cache, and add the icon to my collection. I may or may not be in a position to check the coin's web page and be warned about the nature of the trackable.

If I opened the cache and found that the actual coin was not there but only a laminated photo, I'd be rather disappointed. I'd also feel obliged to leave the "coin" in situ as I wouldn't want the icon adding to my profile without actually finding the genuine coin. All in all, not a great experience!

I'd advise that you simply keep the coin.

HH

I'm sorry I can't agree with gichina on this and do agree with HH. :(

If all I saw in the cache was a photo I would not feel I had discovered the coin - yes its number could be logged but that is about as good as seeing a coin at an event and being given its number to log as part of a list. Do it your way but it is not mine! :(

I have to say that I was gutted when I slogged my way up the Lungbuster in the Isle of Wight for This One only to find that it was a very poorly made replica.

I know it says replica in the title, but at the time I only looked at the cache page and saw that there was a coin there, so its my own fault I suppose.

Adrian

You may do as you please. It's your coin and so you are not responsible for the hopes and wishes of icon hunters.

This was recently discussed in the geocoins area of the main forums. I would say that you should put 'Replica' or 'Dup' in the coin's title and then if they dont bother to read the cache/coin page properly it's not your fault.

Personally, I would like to see the coin tracking number attached to something witty and with a scottish flavour, and possibly give it a related mission too, as laminated coins are not very exciting, but nice TBs always are. This is just my own take on it, you may do as you please, of course.

I'd recommend making as a good a replica as possible and using that. It's fine for icon hunters, (it's still a genuine find of a unique TB code) and it's stops the thieving bustards in our geocaching 'community' from stealing it.

I've seen Machu Pichu on the telly so I don't need to go now. NOT :(

I likewise would be well miffed if I found a copy of a coin in a cache and wouldn't consider it worth logging....

Logging a copy of a geocoin is just as pointless as logging 20 TB's at an Event.

I keep reading "play the game as you want" in these forums so I think that should apply to geocoins also.

If it's a coin that you wouldn't want to loose due to sentimental reasons then sending it out is awfully risky as it seems that they have a habit of disappearing.

If it's clearly marked on it's own page as a replica then no-one can complain (unless they're that way inclined and they'll whinge about it whatever) and if they do stuff them for not reading the page properly.

If the replicas out in the wild the tag slags can get the icon & you keep the coin and everyones a winner. :(

I think that Alibags types a lot of sense, but keep in mind if you go this route, then you can't then take your coin along to meets to be admired and logged, as this will virtually pull your virtual* coin out of its physical cache and muck up mileage.

I have a coin I take and show at events as I don't want to be parted from it. I don't think any coin has a very long life expectancy in the wild - even drilled or inscribed - and while I can lose a TB and feel only a small pang (although my Pink Thing vanishing up the bottom of a US cacher at an event there has pee'd me off no end!) I don't think I'd enjoy reading a 'Took real purdy coin, left used bus ticket' log from a newbie who's never heard of again... :laughing:

*I use the word virtual in this situation as 'fake' doesn't sound right. I do mean a physical item though - just not the real, original coin.

Edit to add this link to my Pink Thing in case my comments above are confusing!

Edited by Simply Paul

Ideally coins would come in identically-numbered pairs, one for the owner to keep and one to send off on travels. It would, of course, do nasty things to the prices... :laughing:

Ah - how obvious it is now though! This is what happens when you have never owned a geocoin before! What I should have done was bought two - one to keep and one to send out! Don't know why I never thought of that at the time!

Will email to see whether there are any coins left and hopefully I can get one to send out!

It's your coin, you can do as you wish! Adam & I only own 1 coin each, which we wanted to keep as momentos of the CITO event we went to.

We then had two options:

1) Do nothing

2) Make a replica and send out

We chose option 2 because at least it gives those people interested in the icon a chance to get it!

I did want to make the best replicas I could though, and they show all the detail of the originals.

Lisa

Actually, unlike most of the other responses, I think this is a good idea.

I have a policy not to log any coin we haven't moved, so although we've seen loads at events, we have never logged them (hence the lack of icons). As others have said, you play the game in your own way and so long as we can move it, we would log yours whether it's a replica or simply a laminated photo or other TB type attachment.

Ideally coins would come in identically-numbered pairs, one for the owner to keep and one to send off on travels. It would, of course, do nasty things to the prices... :laughing:

Ah - how obvious it is now though! This is what happens when you have never owned a geocoin before! What I should have done was bought two - one to keep and one to send out! Don't know why I never thought of that at the time!

Will email to see whether there are any coins left and hopefully I can get one to send out!

I am glad that you can afford that, so more power to you. I cannot, alas.

AB

I have three of these coins - you are welcome to have one of these - then you can keep one and release the other.

That leaves me with two, and that's what I am going to do with mine.

I'm also going to drill a hole and attach a keyring / laminated card with it's mission statement on it. Prevents or discourages those aforementioned bustards??

Edited by HighlandNick

Your trackables are always at risk from muggles though, and at least if two TB tags vanish, you still 'own' the number and can send further TBs out with it on a laminated tag. Once a coin's gone, it's gone. <_<

That makes sense, and demonstrates the perceived difference between a TB and a coin (i.e. the TB tag isn't regarded as the "trackable", it's just a convenient (physical) label). But perhaps it's better to accept that leaving a valued coin in a random bit of woodland and advertising its location isn't the best way to keep it safe, and its inevitable disappearance is part of the process (you just hope that it has a good innings first).

To the "play the game your own way" people: OK, there's nothing to stop you taking that attitude, but the variant of the game using simulated coins will disappoint finders. Is that enjoyable?

I somehow feel that "I play the game this way" infers "I'll do it how I want and I don't care if others don't like it" which sounds a bit arrogant. Although probably not meant, it does have that selfish edge.

The last word (of this post!) is from someone who has experimented with the "replica" approach and recently posted this log (thanks to UKGeoCyclist, whose efforts were perhaps not totally in vain!).

HH

It's your coin, you can do as you wish! Adam & I only own 1 coin each, which we wanted to keep as momentos of the CITO event we went to.

We then had two options:

1) Do nothing

We chose option 2 because at least it gives those people interested in the icon a chance to get it!

I did want to make the best replicas I could though, and they show all the detail of the originals.

Lisa

And very good replicas thay are too! I know cos it's sitting here by my keyboard as I type.

Thanks for not doing option 1, Lisa.

Qichina

7644885c-e017-4919-9578-36a441efaf4c.jpg

We then had two options:

1) Do nothing

Lisa

And very good replicas thay are too! I know cos it's sitting here by my keyboard as I type.

Qichina

7644885c-e017-4919-9578-36a441efaf4c.jpg

Now those are NICE!

Someone else had the idea of laminating a photo of a coin here,

Appeared in the cache, a week or so after we visited, so never saw it. It (the laminated bit) seemed to hang around in the cache despite several cachers visiting, and still seems to have gone MIA...

Qichina

Thanks! It helps to have a good camera and a good printer, and use proper photo paper.

Lisa

Edited by minstrelcat

If you own a Geocoin and are not intending to release it, do you activate it so it shows on your profile?

I ask because we have just purchased two Yorkshire Geocoins. We were intending to keep one and release one but we'd be very disappointed if we released one and it went missing. :)

I am glad that you can afford that, so more power to you. I cannot, alas.

Oh, but I can only do this because the occasions where I would wish to buy a coin are so few and far between. I have deliberately not become involved in collecting other geocoins because I know that I would become obsessed and want them ALL! This is the first time that I have ever bought a coin and I'm unlikely to buy any more unless they commemorate an event that I've attended.

Some of the geocoins are soooo pretty though ....and shiny....oooh precious, my precious.......

No! MUST NOT be tempted to start collecting them!

AB

I have three of these coins - you are welcome to have one of these - then you can keep one and release the other.

That leaves me with two, and that's what I am going to do with mine.

I'm also going to drill a hole and attach a keyring / laminated card with it's mission statement on it. Prevents or discourages those aforementioned bustards??

Oh thankyou so much for that offer Nick - that's really kind of you. I had emailed marmal though and he was going to keep me one from the coins he has left. If there is a problem can I get back to you about your offer? It's just that I wouldn't like to let marmal down now that he sees more ££££ signs in front of his eyes! He is a financial whizz-kid after all! :)

A laminated photo of a coin is just not the thing that I would want to find after tracking down a cache. If the coin is that nice do not put it out, just keep it at home. Put out a normal TB instead. A coin is a coin, not a piece of photo stuck into a keyring. :(:(:(