are the best? Personally I have tested Magellan Meridian Gold,

which seems to work perfectly under dense foliage but also

inside a small house, where my own Garmin eTrex looses the

signal immediately.

But how about such models as Garmin GPSMAP60 CSx or

Garmin Rino 520/530? Comments on any other models

are also appreciated.

Regards, Olli

I just tried out my new Lowarance Ifinder Expedition C yesterday and was really impressed with it. Performance under a dense forest canopy was even better than my Magellan Meridian. Don't think it's going to be as durable as the Meridan, which is very rugged but it should be ok for most uses.

The problem with getting a "real" answer here is that I doubt you will find anyone who has used all of the newest models and on top of that really done a proper comparison.

It is all "the unit I own is great", which is nice but does not prove much.

I used a Lowrance H20 alongside a MeriGold under trees and the Lowrance blew the MeriGold away. I hear the new Lowrance C units are even better.

Also the new Garmin 60C(S)x and 76C(S)x have received raves for reception. The one I saw had far, far better reception than any other unit there. I've seen stories here of people getting solid sat locks in their basements with the 60 and 76 X Garmins.

The problem with getting a "real" answer here is that I doubt you will find anyone who has used all of the newest models and on top of that really done a proper comparison.

A very good point.

I recently got my new Garmin GPSMap 76 Cx, and have been really impreessed with it's performance.

I can take it inside and still retain lock on sats, and have even been able to get a lock in my basement (one story ranch)

I have owned an eTrex, a garmin GPS12 (wife still uses it),a Mag SportTrak, a recently stolen Garmin GPS V and GPS Map 76, so can compare the 76 Cx to those at least

The 76 Cx by far has better reception than any of those others. I know that many Mag owners swear by them, but I could not get used to the lag time that mine had. (I have been told that it is common with most Mags)

I have been in heavy cover where other units are losing their locks, and my 76 Cx keeps it.

That is my experience, and I hope it can help

Garmin 60csx works good in my living room on the couch, while I upload/download maps/waypoints from my laptop.

Conditions:

the blinds are closed on the windows which are about 10' away

there's 2 3'x4' skylights at about 4' and 12' away (and 12' up on vaulted ceilings)

there's more windows behind my about 20' away, but behind the couch and no direct line of site

FYI: stucco exterior with clay tile roof and 5/8" type X sheet rock interior

Reception:

gps just turned on 3 min ago

10 good satellite locks (03,07,09,14,15,18,19,21,22,47)

9 of the 10 have "D" in them (all but 47)

1 more satellite is on/off/hollow bar (01)

location accuracy +/- 18 feet

I have been using the Lowrance ifinder expedition C extensively in the last few days and have been amazed. I dont own any external antenna

1. Inside the airplane, next to the small window, got the reception most of the times. But since the field of view is so small, it would loose sight if the plane changed direction suddenly. Also if you are away from the wing it helps(dont know why)

2. Inside the VTA(San Jose) buses it works. Need not keep it close to windows. Ditto for the light rail. Guess the large windows help here.

3. Inside the car works when on my lap, but for best results keep it on the dash

4. Works indoors. Yes! If there are no floors above you, ie you just got the wooden roof. We are talking about double layerd roof. flat false roof and the V shaped upper roof.

Yes even the GO series. Even though they're cheap entry level machines, they're new models, so they also have the latest technologies builtin. And the batteries last over 2 continuous days!

They're awesome entry-level GPSr's

Edited by IVxIV

All newer GPSs get better reception than their predecessors.

The Garmin Cx GPSs have good receptoin. I'd trust the new Explorist and other new magellans to have good receptoin.

Older Magellans (Sport track etc.) had good reception on a par with the Garmins with a Quad Helix antanea. (The eTrex had a patch that wasn't as good as the Quad Helix then.) The new eTrex colors are better than the old ones...

The early magellans had two things that worked to artificially make their reception seem better. First they lied about losing lock in that they didn't tell you and kept on averaging your position. Then the moving average itself did help to reduce issues under heavy tree cover. (you would wander around less. Your reported position was more stable than an equil Garmin.)

Bottom line. Garmin X series with the funky chip is best. Everthing else is better than it used to be.

I think individual units have a lot to do with it. I had a Meridian Gold when I first

started out and it worked fine for a while but then it could not keep a lock even if it

was glued to the side of a satellite. But I know people with the same unit that were

much older than mine and they are still running strong.

I now have a GpsMap 60 CX and so far so Great I receive and maintain a strong lock

every were under all conditions.

From what I can tell from reading the reviews and comments, the newer generation GPSrs have very good reception. This includes the Lowrances, the Magellan Explorists, and the Garmin 60 and 76 x series. The Lowrances may be the best, but not by much. For GPSr reception, consider the antenna, the radio receiver, and the processor. The recevier and the processors get better and better. I would choose by which interface and features you need or like the best.

My Meridian is about equal to my eXplorist (sometimes better, sometimes not.) The Meridian is an amazing rig, and I never had the problems reported above by R Knight.

Some sites with more scientific testing (as opposed to the opinions posted here):

Meridians vs others

60cx vs. eX600

While out caching last night, we did a cache that took us into a storm drain.

It was a very large corrugated steel drain, and we were a good 250 feet into the tunnel. I looked down at my 60CSx, and the darn thing had maintained a lock all the way in the tunnel! It lost signal for a second when I had everything tucked in my arm for signing the log, but it re-aquired the signal quickly, and accurately tracked us back out.

I was pretty amazed to say the least!

How many people will admit they bought a turkey? Outside of trolls, who exist only to complain and make our lives miserable, very few. Most of us did our homework before we bought, so we got the performance we expected. Result: we're happy cachers.

Case in point: I did not have the opportunity to test a 60CSx before I decided on my Vista Cx. From a spec only standpoint, I could not justify the difference in price. Bottom line is, right now, I would not swap. If I lose or otherwise terminally damage the Vista Cx, then yeah, I'm tempted to consider the upgrade.

The most sensitive GPS on the markets use the Sirf Star III chipset. These are available in dedicated hand held GPS's like Garmin 60csx. I don't have a list of the mfr models - maybe someone else could post it.

The x means that garmin is using that chipset. They are also available in CF and SD PPC slot models. I have one of these and can pull in 8-10 sats sitting in diners and have no problem pulling them in dense foliage.

Google Sirf Star III.

The most sensitive GPS on the markets use the Sirf Star III chipset. These are available in dedicated hand held GPS's like Garmin 60csx. I don't have a list of the mfr models - maybe someone else could post it.

The x means that garmin is using that chipset. They are also available in CF and SD PPC slot models. I have one of these and can pull in 8-10 sats sitting in diners and have no problem pulling them in dense foliage.

Google Sirf Star III.

When people discuss the new model Magellans, I assume they are talking of the 100/200/210/300 series? I have a 300 and was wondering how likely I would get reception on an airplane.

In terms of Sirf Star III, does the x mean it has the chip set for sure? The new Garmin Venture Cx doesn't appear to use this chipset from what I can tell.

Thanks

Edited by aranjit
In terms of Sirf Star III, does the x mean it has the chip set for sure? The new Garmin Venture Cx doesn't appear to use this chipset from what I can tell.

No, above is a falacy. Only the 60c(s)x, and 76c(s)x have the sirf III, the others have the x for expandable memory.