Category Proposal: Labyrinths

There is already a category for mazes, but as I have recently learned, labyrinths are different. While a maze involves a puzzle and has multiple choices along the route, a labyrinth has a single route to the center and the purpose is spiritual and psychological. The Outdoor Mazes category is in Sports and Recreation, but I feel that Labyrinths belongs in Structures because it isn't a game... Some labyrinths are located at hospitals and churches.

For more information check out the Labyrinth Society:

http://www.labyrinthsociety.org/html/about_labyrinths.html

Some possible variables that I see an immediate need for are whether the labyrinth is public or private, indoor or outdoor, mobile or permanent, material it is made out of..

I've created a group:

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.a...de-b7296a20acde

Is anyone interested in this? Feel free to join up! I'm new here and could definitely use help and ideas :(

Edited by gwendy

There is already a category for mazes, but as I have recently learned, labyrinths are different. While a maze involves a puzzle and has multiple choices along the route, a labyrinth has a single route to the center and the purpose is spiritual and psychological.

I understand the difference between the two, however I think you will find most people will not take the time to determine if it it is a labyrinth or if its maze. It will be difficult to tell from the pictures people submit to determine if they have incorrectly submitted a maze to your category.

There is already a category for mazes, but as I have recently learned, labyrinths are different. While a maze involves a puzzle and has multiple choices along the route, a labyrinth has a single route to the center and the purpose is spiritual and psychological.

I understand the difference between the two, however I think you will find most people will not take the time to determine if it it is a labyrinth or if its maze. It will be difficult to tell from the pictures people submit to determine if they have incorrectly submitted a maze to your category.

I disagree. It's quite clear that a labrynth has only one path to the center, and they (in my experience) all take on the same characteristic shape so most people could tell the difference. I do agree that pictures need to be required just to be sure, though.

I like this category idea, but am already a member of more than I can fairly manage. Keep promoting and you'll get some officers, gwendy.

After reading more about labyrinths and visiting a couple in the area, I really like this for a category. I have joined the group. I also found out one of the largest "commercial" labyrinth companies is located in St. Louis, though their labyrinths are located across the country. One thing that needs to be considered is how to handle "non-permanent" labyrinths. There are several in this area owned by churches and hospitals that are made of canvas which are only out during scheduled times.

Fantastic! Thanks for your help :) I'm definitely planning a road trip to check out some more labyrinths. I visited my first one at a nearby hospital a month or so ago. I find them really intriguing and definitely want a detailed description.

I've created a draft for the category.. Can members see it or do I need to call a vote for everyone to view what I've done so far?

A couple (additional) potential variables: Material & Type

Should we have a list of materials? Canvas, concrete, brick, grass etc? Or just have people mention it in their long description if they choose?

Same with type, but type requires a little more knowledge.. Classical, Medieval, Contemporary, etc..

What do you think?

Edited by gwendy

I would be happy to extend the category to overtly include labyrinths. The maze category was already created to accept any maze. I'm not sure what the benefit would be for creating a separate category.

Edited to note that you are welcome to become a group member. I'd even be happy to make you an officer :laughing:

Edited by Jeremy
I'm not sure what the benefit would be for creating a separate category.

The way I see it, mazes and labyrinths have very different purposes. Mazes are meant to be a challenge and entertain, whereas labyrinths can be theraputic and enlightening. By creating a different category, more attention will be drawn to the differences between the two that might never have been known if they were all placed together .. I find the ideas behind labyrinths fascinating and want other people to be able to experience that.

I am also fully aware that when it comes to vote the populous may agree with you :)

It seems that Gwendy would like Labyrinths to stand alone from Mazes because they are not the same as, but have some characteristics in common.

Perhaps the PEER REVIEW would be a better method to determine if there is a general opinion.

Based upon this thread alone, I am guessing it like the difference between Alligator and Crocodile, or Toad and Frog. Most people (generalizing here) can't tell them apart... but there are differences to those people that are interested in them.

Jeremy... are you suggesting that you would update the name of your "Outdoor Mazes" Category to be "Outdoor Mazes and Labyrinths"? What if Gwendy still wants to form a "Labyrinth Group" and go ahead attempting to make the specific Category?

<_< The Blue Quasar

I too have a labyrinth in the Outdoor Maze Category. I love the new drop down addition for labyrinth's, and I have joined the group as I love labyrinths & mazes. IIf the labyrinth category has indeed failed peer review I for one would like to see some slight changes to the current category. I have several waymarks that are indoor labyrinths for meditation that are open to the public, one is located inside a hospital as this particular Labyrinth is there to get well. I think somehow the current category could address this in some manner. Labyrinths do usually differ from mazes in the purpose. ( And usually labyrinths do not have an admission charge. as they are religious in nature. I actually proposed Labyrinths as a category on Nov 5 before I knew how to work the search button , soon I came to realize that it was originally proposed back in Sept and requested in Jan to make some deserving changes to the current category.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=109034&hl=labyrinths

Sorry I can not find the guided mode at the moment to make the link to the other proposals.

Edited by chstress53

I agree, there are a lot of differences and considerations between mazes and labyrinths. Unfortunately, Groundspeak doesn't.

The final vote had 27 Approves and 9 Denies.

From Groundspeak Inc.:

Unfortunately, there is already a dropdown variable for Labrynth under the "Outdoor Mazes" category called "Maze Type". An addition category would be redundant.

I find the wording ironic since the dropdown was added in response to my category creation :)

I'm not sure why Groundspeak was deadset against this category. As the site grows there will be more and more categories which will become larger and larger. I think I've demonstrated the different motivations behind the two and a need for different variables. The only thing I can think of is that Groundspeak isn't interested in figuring out how to move the existing labyrinth entries to a new category.

Unless Jeremy can provide some other insight?

So then the section in the Peer Review that asks us if the proposed Category is redundant can be ignored, since Groundspeak is checking for redundancy anyway?

One would think that if 75% of the people agreed that the Category was unique enough that would be sufficient, unless Groundspeak thinks everyone just click "Yup.. sounds groovy" without actually thinking about it. That also makes me wonder why we vote if Groundspeak decides anyway. Naturally if there was questionable content it would make sense, but there appears to be no other evidence beyond the items in this thread.

From Groundspeak Inc.:

Unfortunately, there is already a dropdown variable for Labrynth under the "Outdoor Mazes" category called "Maze Type". An addition category would be redundant.

I find the wording ironic since the dropdown was added in response to my category creation

That is an interesting way of expressing it. :anicute:

I agree, there are a lot of differences and considerations between mazes and labyrinths. Unfortunately, Groundspeak doesn't.

Strange, I thought Groundspeak was a listing service. Storage space must be at a premium. :blink:

It's too bad that Groundspeak used 'veto' power, but they must have had their reasons. Maybe it lacked the WOW factor... oh wait.. that's another thing all together.

Oh well. Not much you can do about it.

:anicute: The Blue Quasar