Metal Detectors On Sale

PFF

After reading this thread and locating several benchmarks lately I stopped by the local Radio Shack to see if they still have the Bounty's on sale. Was surprised to that they had all 3 models still on the floor, so I grabbed the 3300 for the sale price of $111, great buy! Still have a question about headphones, if anyone can suggest what type and where to buy, I would sure appreciate it.

Stereo phones

try and get good ones, and what ever feels comfortable for you, some people like the lighter ones, some like heavier ones.

I use the heavier ones because it seems to deaden the outside noise a little more, of course I use mine for more then benchmark hunting :rolleyes:<_<

Be careful while wearing them!

I won't use them, only so I can hear if any rattlers are nearby...

Good point.

Add.....

*Trains,

*18-wheelers,

*Landowner yelling, "Timber!"........ :anicute:

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

While reading the thread I made a call to the local Rad-Shack and they are out of 3300's but still has one 2200. Problem is, they're asking $149.97!! I asked about the clearance sale in June and he said that IS the clearance price! Hummm... wonder if I can make an offer? I might call around to other stores as well.

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. I've been thinking about one of these since last year when I couldn't locate a benchmark I presume is buried.

Update: Went to the Rad-Shack to find the only unit they had was knocked another $100 off the clearance price! So I picked up the 2200 for basically $50!! :anicute: I really wanted to be part of Club 33 though, maybe in the future. For now, it's Club 22! :laughing: Also purchased a couple of rechargeable batteries, ouch! :anicute: But they will pay for themselves in the long run.

Alas, I too will read the owner's manual before playing with the detector! Might as well make good use of the time needed for the batteries to charge. :anicute:

Edited by STurgisSTeele

I joined the 3300 club, with the last one in town (3 RS stores). It is definitely much more sensitive than my old one. The discrimination is good, I think, but I'm still learning about that.

I would not like it without the "Pinpoint" feature. That seems essential, and works pretty much like I'm used to on the old one. I like the trick of re-punching Pinpoint while holding it just off of the place where it is gets maximum signal, to reset the sensitivity and allow better localization.

I visited 4 different Radio Shacks in Northwest Arkansas today. None of them had any of last year's metal detectors left. The ones they did have, have the same model names/numbers as last year (e.g. Bounty Hunter 3300 for $299.99). One of the store managers told me that Radio Shack does this every year.....heavily discounts the previous year's models before the new ones come out....so to expect another clearance in about 10 months. The interesting thing he added was that he didn't see any differences in the new models compared to the old models.

I may have scored a 3300 as well. The local store didn't have one in stock, but they ordered me one. $111 with no shipping charges!

Now, if I actually get it...

edit to add: The kid that ordered it said his boss had ordered 4 of them yesterday! Sounds like some people in this area (Hutchinson, KS) have been reading this thread ;)

Edited by gandolf565

Well I finally found one remaining 3300 for the clearance price at a Radio Shack within driving distance. So naturally I snagged it.

I had absolutely zero luck in getting any stores to order one at the clearance price. The stores I talked to said it couldn't be done. Maybe they just didn't know the secret code.

Edited by tosborn

I apparently now have 3 in my name--two shipping to my local RS, and one on hold within driving distance. I was confused that these were only available from RSs that were closing but BDT set me in order on that point.

Any one want one of the 2 that I don't need, if and when they arrive?

...as of Noon EDT, I am now a 3300 owner - the Shack® 5 minutes away knew of no 3300's in the area, but a quick call to the one 25 min. away said "you mean the $111 one? - we have 1 left" ...so you know where I spent lunch! Who has the Club logo caps - PFF ?

Well I finally found one remaining 3300 for the clearance price at a Radio Shack within driving distance. So naturally I snagged it.

I had absolutely zero luck in getting any stores to order one at the clearance price. The stores I talked to said it couldn't be done. Maybe they just didn't know the secret code.

Did you receive them? Would you still like to part with one?

I have had considerably success with the 3300. One disk was 8 inches down in damp soil and I had to keep pushing the pinpoint button to reset the sensitivity down so I could localize it. That depth was about the limit of my old detector, which I did not have along to compare that day.

The discrimination is great. The old detector barely had any. With the 3300 I can ignore about everything except pop cans, and disks, and other large nonferrous objects, and occasionally multiple objects together that trip the high tone.

I need to play with mine a LOT more to get rid of false positives. So far I feel much more comfortable with my old cheapie which, although much less discriminating, serves me well when looking for disks less than 6 inches deep. It is also lighter and smaller. Still, it won't find bolts or rivets at all, so I can only use it for disks. Wish I had had it with me looking for Ellendale last weekend!