Metal Detectors On Sale

PFF

This is not a commercial; just a "head's up" for those who have been considering the purchase of a metal detector. This might be the week to act.....

I was in a Radio Shack in Raleigh NC this afternoon and saw two models on clearance. One has a normal list price of $200, and is on sale for $70. The other is a $129 unit, going for about $40. The search coils on both are good sized, suggesting they will penetrate the ground to six or eight inches, or more. These are sold on the basis of "while supplies last", so you might need to call around or have your local store run a regional inventory check.

I've been using an older Radio Shack model for several years with excellent success.

Disclaimer: I've got no ties to "The Shack". I'm just a consumer who spotted what looks like a good deal. I'm assuming this sale is nationwide and not unique to my local area.

Paul

Now, wishful thinking, if someone could tell us where to buy a magnetometer type (ferrous metal only) detector for cheap. I have some non-benchmark things to find, and one benchmark data sheet mixup that I suspect involves a re-rod too deep for my Radio Shack unit to find. I just can't talk myself into the $300+ typical price for a used Schonstedt.

Bill:

Have you tried some of the commercial Military Surplus places? You might be surprized what Uncle tosses out the back door. I've also gotten some unbelievable stuff from the DRMS folks, even if they are a bit more difficult to deal with. Their website takes a little poking around. My computer tells me a magnetometer would fall in the 1500 FSC (Federal Supply Code) group. Also says it would NOT generally require de-militarization, though I suppose some might.

Just just ordered the $299 one for $111. That's about 63% off. There is a 30 day return for full credit at the local store, if I don't like it. No shipping if you order it at the store. I would have to pay sales tax either way in CA. Wharehouse computer giving out the word to the store that only "a few" remain, whatever that means. Should be here in 3 - 5 days. That is a pretty darn good deal! Thanks PFF!

Have used my little Velleman handheld metal detector a few times. Bronze disc, 6.5" in air, about 3" in dry stoney dirt. I'm guessing an Aluminum disc would be about the same. I'll keep it also, use it when a walk of 1/4 mile or more needed. OK tradeoff - lighter, smaller, but not as good a detection distance (I hope!), no discrimination. Battery switch could use a guard. Still, if you want one you can carry comfortably in a backpack (pull the battery!), I would recommend it.

Thanks for everyone's kind remarks.

It looks like at least three of us went with the Model 3300. I picked up mine this afternoon. No instruction book in the box, but that was a minor inconvenience, since it can be printed from the RS web site.

In a brief test, the 3300 did a good job of "zapping" a pull tab while still detecting a benchmark--which in this case was an actual disk, courtesy of NCGS. I'll be doing more practicing during the coming week.

As we get experienced using these new tools, let's exchange E-mails with tips and observations. And if there are others who want to join in, send me an E-mail and we'll keep you in the loop.

I got one of the last 3300's in my area. The regional inventory showed quite a few 2200's and 1100's left in stock. The main difference seems to be the sophistication of the discrimination circuits. All are impressive, and I suspect that even the $49 model will perform considerably better than the older model that I have been using for two years.

-Paul-

well my 3300 has claimed 2 finds this weekend for the contest :( and used it on three others that just turned up not being there :anitongue:

it is going to take a little practice to get used to the unit as i did dig up several cans and one hubcap in a ditch. :ph34r:

one thing I have noticed is the tones and screen readings are all over the place when I sweep across an actual benchmark set in a concrete monument. :(

has anyone else had time to try this out yet? :(

the sales guys told me I had the only 3300 that was in this area also. :D

Edited by Intermountain Angler

Intermountain Angler wrote:

One thing I have noticed is the tones and screen readings are all over the place when I sweep across an actual benchmark set in a concrete monument.

I noticed the same thing during my 10-minute initial test of the unit. This is where practice with known objects will be important! According to Page 13 of the manual:

*The 4-tone audio target identification functions only in the motion mode.

*The detector must be in the DISCRIMINATION, NOTCH, or ALL-METAL MODE.

From Page 14:

*If the target identification on the LCD reads inconsistently, the target probably is a trash item, or oxidized metal. (My test disk has been exposed to weather for 25 years, and has not been cleaned up.)

*The greater the distance between the target and the coil, the less accurate the target identification.

There is this encouraging note at the bottom of Page 14:

"With practice, you will learn the difference between accurate readings, multiple targets, and highly erratic readings (which evidence trash or irregularly shaped objects)."

So, we may not know for certain until we dig and recover the #@^* railroad spike! :)

One thing I discovered very quickly is that when powered on, the unit is in its most sensitive position. Immediately lower the sensitivity, using the minus key on the left side. The readings become much more consistent. Plus, you will avoid damage to the unit from nearby electric fields, such as overhead power lines. (I got the impression from the instruction book that this unit should never be turned on inside a house, for that reason.)

After I play with it a bit more, I'll send you and our other known user an E-mail outlining my results. That way, we won't annoy Forum readers with limited-interest information. But, before we take this private, I want to make the standard "Guy" disclosure that, although I obviously have been consulting the instruction book, I did so ONLY AFTER INSERTING THE BATTERIES AND MAKING SOME PRACTICE SWEEPS.

I would not want to ruin our gender's reputation about not stopping to ask directions, reading instruction manuals, etc. :D

-Paul-

CONFIDENTIAL TO GARMIN INTERNATIONAL. Your units would be more interesting if, after the fourth directive to "make a U-Turn" is ignored, the woman-in-the-box was programmed to say (in a sarcastic voice), "If you're a male who won't take navigation advice, why did you purchase a GPS receiver?"

Intermountain Angler wrote:

One thing I have noticed is the tones and screen readings are all over the place when I sweep across an actual benchmark set in a concrete monument.

I noticed the same thing during my 10-minute initial test of the unit. This is where practice with known objects will be important! According to Page 13 of the manual:

*The 4-tone audio target identification functions only in the motion mode.

*The detector must be in the DISCRIMINATION, NOTCH, or ALL-METAL MODE.

From Page 14:

*If the target identification on the LCD reads inconsistently, the target probably is a trash item, or oxidized metal. (My test disk has been exposed to weather for 25 years, and has not been cleaned up.)

*The greater the distance between the target and the coil, the less accurate the target identification.

There is this encouraging note at the bottom of Page 14:

"With practice, you will learn the difference between accurate readings, multiple targets, and highly erratic readings (which evidence trash or irregularly shaped objects)."

So, we may not know for certain until we dig and recover the #@^* railroad spike! :)

One thing I discovered very quickly is that when powered on, the unit is in its most sensitive position. Immediately lower the sensitivity, using the minus key on the left side. The readings become much more consistent. Plus, you will avoid damage to the unit from nearby electric fields, such as overhead power lines. (I got the impression from the instruction book that this unit should never be turned on inside a house, for that reason.)

After I play with it a bit more, I'll send you and our other known user an E-mail outlining my results. That way, we won't annoy Forum readers with limited-interest information. But, before we take this private, I want to make the standard "Guy" disclosure that, although I obviously have been consulting the instruction book, I did so ONLY AFTER INSERTING THE BATTERIES AND MAKING SOME PRACTICE SWEEPS.

I would not want to ruin our gender's reputation about not stopping to ask directions, reading instruction manuals, etc. :D

-Paul-

CONFIDENTIAL TO GARMIN INTERNATIONAL. Your units would be more interesting if, after the fourth directive to "make a U-Turn" is ignored, the woman-in-the-box was programmed to say (in a sarcastic voice), "If you're a male who won't take navigation advice, why did you purchase a GPS receiver?"

:antenna::antenna::antenna::D

CLUB 33 I like it :antenna:

Well on a sad note I did read the directions first, BUT and I really like this, ONLY after my NiMH Radio shack batteries needed to be charged as they were DEAD on arrival. This took about 18 hours :antenna: so left me PLENTY of time to read the puny little manual. On A positive note my Accupower charger also conditions batteries and I suspect this is what was going on. :antenna:

Interesting thread...I immediately called the local Shack and they have both the 2200 and the 3300 in stock, but honestly, I just can't see the big differences...as long as it squeals when it detects something, that's all I need it to do...

I have always wanted to get one and see if I can find anything out there...

Does anyone have any feedback on the performance of the 2200? They are holding one for me until tomorrow...decision time...

After searching the Internet for a while, I have found the Radio Shack 'Bounty Hunter' brand of the 2200 and the 3300 metal detectors are made by First Texas...which also makes the 'Titan XD' series...the Titan XD 2000 and the XD 3000 are both LISTED HERE, (scroll down near the bottom to see the Titan series) and are selling for $299.00 and $399.00, respectively...everything about them is pretty much identical to the Radio Shack 2200 and 3300 models, right down to the button and screen configurations, so I would expect the same performance...

Sounds like a great deal...I will be picking up my 2200 tomorrow for sure... :lol:

Edited by TEAM 360

I bought the 1100 unit a year or so ago. It seems to work OK but the depth is limited. Also the detector must be in motion to detect anything. That makes it a little difficult to determine exactly where the metal object is.

I was having a hard time trying to find marks in tall grass because of the motion requirement. While watching a documentary on the removal of unexploded ordnance on Kahoolawe I saw them using their metal detector by swinging it vertically. Kind of like tamping down the grass. That works.

Now with the 3300 that has the larger coil (works to a greater depth) on sale, I have to think about upgrading.

I wonder if the shack is going to bring in a new line of detectors?

I bought the 1100 unit a year or so ago. It seems to work OK but the depth is limited. Also the detector must be in motion to detect anything. That makes it a little difficult to determine exactly where the metal object is.

Thanks for your comments on the 1100 model. The 3300 claims to have solved the problem concerning motion. [see below.]

This might be the ideal time for an upgrade, 68-eldo. The units are on sale, and Father's Day is upon us. Drop some hints around the house! <_<

-Paul-

FROM THE 3300 INSTRUCTION BOOK, Page 9:

"In the PINPOINT mode of operation, metal is detected with the coil motionless over the ground. This no-motion operation helps to locate the exact location of buried objects, and is very useful in understanding the size and shape of buried metal objects. The PINPOINT mode offers deeper ground penetration, but cannot classify targets, nor indicate their depths. It is often useful to search for targets in a motion mode, and when identified, pinpoint their location with the PINPOINT control."

Thanks for your comments on the 1100 model. The 3300 claims to have solved the problem concerning motion. [see below.]

This might be the ideal time for an upgrade, 68-eldo. The units are on sale, and Father's Day is upon us. Drop some hints around the house! :laughing:

-Paul-

FROM THE 3300 INSTRUCTION BOOK, Page 9:

"In the PINPOINT mode of operation, metal is detected with the coil motionless over the ground. This no-motion operation helps to locate the exact location of buried objects, and is very useful in understanding the size and shape of buried metal objects. The PINPOINT mode offers deeper ground penetration, but cannot classify targets, nor indicate their depths. It is often useful to search for targets in a motion mode, and when identified, pinpoint their location with the PINPOINT control."

That’s it, I'm getting the 3300. Dropping hints around the house is of no use, the wife makes me new shirts and the daughter can't afford it. So it's up to Santa Clause. (He’s branching out to other holidays you know) B)

Thanks for the information Paul.

Just got back from the Shack with my 3300 and 9 volt batteries. The box is laying next to where I'm working, unopened. It's Christmas! horay!

My wife said "Will they let you in to those places with that thing?" Good question actually. This is, after all, New York City. Mostly this baby is for the outlying areas and parks. You wouldn't much need it in Times Square!

I had to go the store on the upper (actually upper upper) West Side at 181st and Broadway, since the local store had nothing, but they were good enough to check their computer to find inventory and call the other store.

There was actually a feature in the New York Times last month about a guy who prospects for buried stuff in city parks. He finds lots of stuff, including old (as in 19th century) coins. But it seems you need a license to prospect in city parks. Guess I'll have to check that out. Don't want to be ticketed for benchmarking without a license :laughing:

OK, here's a couple of questions from a newby metal detector owner:

1) Should I leave the plastic protective packing sleeve on the coil?

2) Can I do away with the heavy rod the thing mounts on, and just somehow clip the gizmo to my belt, and use the end of the rod for the coil?

3) What kind of headphones does it use? It has a big screw type connector that my TV headphones don't engage with?

Thanks

PAPABEAR:

The local Radio Shack told me that it is a stereo headset jack. It accepts a 1/4" stereo plug. Do not use a mono connector.

Rather than clipping the unit on your belt, I'd recommend keeping it together as one unit so you do not get tangled in wires. I dressed my wire in a spiral up the rod and secured it at several points with cable ties, for extra strength. (Any color cable tie will work, but Martha Stewart called to say they really, really should be BLACK.)

Keeping the plastic is not necessary. The coil is rugged and is submersible in water.

68-Eldo:

Check your E-mail for some suggested coordinates for station GILBERT's two reference marks (TU0625). These should be a good test of your new metal detector! Aloha.

-Paul-

68-Eldo:

Check your E-mail for some suggested coordinates for station GILBERT's two reference marks (TU0625). These should be a good test of your new metal detector! Aloha.

-Paul-

Thanks Paul,

I'll give those a try, hopefully in the next week or so.

Glen

3300 Update

I had a chance to "test drive" the Model 3300, today. The results were outstanding. The first challenge was finding a deep-woods mark which eluded me (and my old detector) on Jun 4th. This was my first opportunity to use the PINPOINT mode, and is it amazing!!! It really penetrates the ground...and it actually DOES pinpoint the mark for you.

I had additional successes this afternoon, but it was the last stop of the day that really convinced me that I had made the correct decision to upgrade. I went after EZ1171. The coordinates were no good. In fact, they pointed to a different station! But with the physical description, I found the gate post and its reference tag.

The mark was described as being flush with the ground. Been there, done that. The detector was giving an indication at a particular spot, but the ice pick wasn't hitting anything. I spotted an aluminum beverage can nearby and used it to "null" its metallic signature.

Back to the spot. The detector still gave me an indication, so I felt confident enough to start digging. Ten inches down, I found the disk. I was only 23 feet away from a railroad track, and with the old detector, I might have elected to skip this one. After all, I've found plenty of railroad spikes, during the past couple of years.

Needless to say, I am pleased with the first-day results. I expect it to get even better with practice. One thing that struck me was that the PINPOINT mode, being so powerful, might have an application for "sweeping" in difficult areas--despite what the instruction book says to the contrary.

-Paul-

Due to this thread Fathers Day came early with a 3300 following me home. Haven't tinkered yet with it but everyones comments sound encouraging. Please include me on e-mailings of hints tips and experiences with this (or other) model detectors if this thread drops from updates. I figured I was doing pretty good with my handy dandy probe, but this might give new meaning to some previous NF's. Thanks for the incentive to finally obtain a metal detector.

I snagged the last 3300 at my local RS this morning. I wasn't really in the market for one right now, but through a series of decent luck I couldn't pass it up. Yesterday my girlfiend and I were talking about getting one to play around with. I logged in here last night, and came across this thread. This morning I went out to look at the detectors, just to see 'em, but I wasn't expecting to buy one right now. When I got there I discovered that they're offering an additional 25% off all clearance items, so it ended up being about $84 before tax.

I don't know for sure if it's a nationwide promotion, with the add'l 25% off, but if you are thinking about getting one of these, it's worth checking. They said that it's only a 3 day sale (started 6/9, and runs through Sunday 6/11).

Now, I wonder if it's possible to set up a cache for us 'Detectors' only? Maybe the coords to get you to a starting point, then you have to use your detector to 'follow the underground markers' to the actual cache?

Wouldn't THAT just blow someones mind, if they showed up with just a GPS and the coords were in the middle of an empty field? Without a detector to follow the markers, they would be lost....hehehehe...

Or the final coords to the cache could be buried in a bison tube at the first stage, out in the field...

Edited by TEAM 360

I like it! Wouldn't the cache be an automatic "5" terrain as special equipment would be required? Have be careful not to bury the cache, however, and an approver might balk at a burried "waypoint" as well. Might be worth a shot, though!

P.S. My 3300 came in late yesterday, used it today, love it. More later.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Someone asked if Radio Shack is coming out with a new line of detectors. Excellent question! I have been snooping around on their web site, and I spotted a new detector called the FORTUNE. (The ones we've been discussing as being on sale are in the BOUNTY series.)

There's only one FORTUNE model listed, and the owner's manual is not on-line, yet. Also, it is available only via the web. My theory is that they are switching to a single, mid-priced model, rather than carrying three versions. This helps with inventory control. Also, I suspect that the market for metal detectors is primarily for "coin shooting" (looking for money) and relic hunting. One single model could serve both purposes. The good news is that it will work for finding benchmark disks, as well.

Inventory control, via the introduction of a new model, is the best explanation I can come up with for why Radio Shack is "giving away the farm". Meanwhile, dumping the current line at fire-sale prices is a great opportunity for us. I don't see any advantage in waiting for the new model. Any one of the current BOUNTY series has the features we need to pinpoint disks while nulling undesireable objects.

Experiments over the past week have shown that benchmark disks register as "silver" on the BOUNTY series. Any detector which pick out silver objects, while rejecting iron and aluminum, will do the job.

The instruction book for the 1100 model indicates that it will perform this function very well. As one moves up to the 2200, he gains a numeric readout and some refined discrimination.

The 3300 model is the same as the 2200, but adds a "ground balance" feature, plus the ability to PINPOINT objects without having to sweep the coil. This can be useful if you arrive at a location and find a hole. The first impression might be that the station has been pulled from the ground. However, as I recently discovered at a site in Durham, NC, there was a disk 18 inches down, at the bottom of the hole. It's difficult to "sweep" a coil inside a hole. The 3300's stationary mode would be useful in such situations.

SUMMARY: Any model in the BOUNTY series will be a valuable addition to your benchmarking tool box. If you miss the sale, the FORTUNE model will work, also. You'll just pay more to get it.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Thanks to TEAM 360 on our state website, I found out about this great deal.

I picked up one of each... and not sure if I'll get rid of any of them!

Yet to really try them out, but for less than 200 bucks I picked up 730 dollars worth of equipment!

I guess I'm in club 33 too, and 22, and 11?

Anyways, I'll read along to see what other neat detector tricks others find.

Thanks for the heads up!

john

Edited by TheDenvernators

You are VERY welcome, Denvernators!

Well, I went out yesterday and tried the 2200 and was very pleased with the performance...I was usually able to scan things at depths around 8" or so, one object was at 13", believe it or not... :drama:

However... :ninja:

After reading about the 'pinpoint' ability of the 3300, I returned to Radio Shack today and exchanged my 2200. They gave me the same deal as this past weekend, with the 25% off. :D

Trying to guess the exact location of a scanned object during sweeping is a bit difficult and takes some practice and patience, which I don't have...I ended up moving quite a bit of dirt to find objects. :ninja:

Hopefully this 3300 model will narrow things down a bit for me. :)

A lot of the hardcore MDers think the Bounty Hunter line is junk or a toy because they are usually so much cheaper then the big names.

The biggest thing about a MD is learning how to use it and use it well.

Those Bounty Hunters should do a good job for you, just get familiar with them.

And get a good set of earphones, not only will you hear the tones better it also saves battery life.

Now a ? from me.Is there a way to mass load the waypoints for benchmarks yet, to your gps.

I'm going to be in the Yuma area for a couple of months this summer and there aren't a lot of caches to do so I thought I'd do a bit of benchmarking.

Plus I don't plan on doing anything except early mornings..

PS yes I own a Bounty Hunter also.

Edited by vagabond

vagabond -

Groundspeak does not provide a way of mass loading benchmark waypoints to a GPS.

What most of us do is use the NGS to get files to download. Check out the various parts of the NGS Datasheet page. One thing to do is click on Archived Datasheets and then Yearly Archives and download a whole county.

Here is an explanation from a while back of a step by step example of this.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to find benchmarks with only GPS data! You MUST use the verbal description from the datasheet.

Geocaching never imported the 'box score' from the NGS datasheets and in many cases it is crucial information. The 'box score' is an ascii box in an NGS datasheet that shows the distance and azimuth to the reference marks (if any).

By the way, I bought a 3300 a week ago and it's a great machine.

I have an old one from the '70s that had a steel case for the electronics and used 8 D cells and was about heavy enough to break your arm off after a while. It is going in the trash. :anibad:

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

A lot of the hardcore MDers think the Bounty Hunter line is junk or a toy because they are usually so much cheaper then the big names.

The biggest thing about a MD is learning how to use it and use it well.

Those Bounty Hunters should do a good job for you, just get familiar with them.

And get a good set of earphones, not only will you hear the tones better it also saves battery life.

Now a ? from me.Is there a way to mass load the waypoints for benchmarks yet, to your gps.

I'm going to be in the Yuma area for a couple of months this summer and there aren't a lot of caches to do so I thought I'd do a bit of benchmarking.

Plus I don't plan on doing anything except early mornings..

PS yes I own a Bounty Hunter also.

Hi vegabond, Welcome to Benchmarking! go to THIS site you can download info in MASS :anibad: go HERE for info on how to use the noaa site convert info for use from the site etc. I put my downloads into GSAK under their own data base for each county then cut and dice and throw them into my GPSr. I also make a copy for my PDA so I have the complete description, you will NEED these even if you just print them out, enjoy!! :)

Groundspeak does not provide a way of mass loading benchmark waypoints to a GPS.

Well, that isn't exactly true. It's just that you don't have nearly as much control over which waypoints you download as you do on the NGS site.

But if you do a "Nearest Benchmarks" query, you can either select specific results or click the "Download all results to *.loc" button and get a LOC file containing your desired waypoints.

If one were energetic, one could even edit the LOC file (it's just a text file) to remove the stations you don't want before sending the LOC file to your GPS receiver.

I assume that the "Nearest Benchmarks" search does a radial search, and it goes out several miles. On the NGS site, however, you have many more options. You can also download the necessary information to make GPX files instead of merely LOC files.

Patty

Black Dog Trackers wrote:

I have an old one from the '70s that had a steel case for the electronics and used 8 D cells and was about heavy enough to break your arm off after a while. It is going in the trash.

Wait! I'm sure there is a museum somewhere that would like it! [grin]

While searching for benchmarks last year, I encountered a Civil War relic hunter. His metal detector was a large metal box with a search coil attached. He showed me the controls but I didn't follow all the explanations. The fellow had an impressive collection of buttons, belt buckles, etc., so that boat-anchor must have worked!

Up until 15 years ago, I used to pass by a store in Angier, NC which sold metal detectors. I believe they built them from scratch.

I love the new technology and light-weight detectors. Last week, I was at a location where the USPSQD reported a mark as Not Found. The 3300 picked up the unique signature of a disk, and I found it, five inches down.

-Paul-

Unique Signatures of Disks

On my 3300, the older disks give a numeric reading of 145 to 155. Newer ones (which in my area are those which have been placed by the 30th Engineers or the NC Geodetic Survey) register about 165.

I have found the readings to be very consistent, regardless of depth or oxidation.

-Paul-

[Editing a pesky typo]

Edited by PFF

After reading this thread and locating several benchmarks lately I stopped by the local Radio Shack to see if they still have the Bounty's on sale. Was surprised to that they had all 3 models still on the floor, so I grabbed the 3300 for the sale price of $111, great buy! Still have a question about headphones, if anyone can suggest what type and where to buy, I would sure appreciate it.

Hi, Tin-Ear:

Glad you snagged a 3300! You will enjoy it.

My local Radio Shack says that connector is for stereo headphones. I've not tried it, because the speaker has been adequate, so far. Also, I find I use the numeric display more than the audio indicator. It is a very precise indication of what the detector is sweeping across. In contrast, there are only 4 audio tones to cover the entire spectrum of metals. So a high "beep" might be a disk, or it might be an aluminum can.

Looking at the display, meanwhile, you will see that cans give a reading of about 95--well below what you see when sweeping across a benchmark disk. So, the audio portion tells me I've found something. The readout tells me what it is likely to be.

-Paul-

Looking at the display, meanwhile, you will see that cans give a reading of about 95--well below what you see when sweeping across a benchmark disk. So, the audio portion tells me I've found something. The readout tells me what it is likely to be.

-Paul-

Hi Paul

I'd be interested in what you get from copper bolts and monel rivets. The bolts tend to be 1/2 - 3/4 inch in diameter and you know what the rivets are like. Since they are both copper alloys, I would hope they could be distinguished from random trash. But they are much smaller than the typical disk, so I wonder what they would read.

Pb

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC