Cheating The Rankings - Faux Pas

GlobalRat

:rolleyes::) The thread no-one wants to start but everyone is talking about it, so here it is..... :):D

There has been plenty of off-line grumbling across the country about this over the last 3 months. It reportedly started in the Western Cape and has spread to Mpumalanga and probably beyond.

For all those that say… well each to his own… indeed…but then don’t be unhappy about how folks play the game. It’s like not voting but complaining about the outcome. And yes yes, the rankings are all for fun and all that… the bottom line is plenty of cachers don’t like what is going on…..

There’s no denying the contribution the ranking system has made to the growth of caching in South Africa. However the competitive drive has made some cachers behave in the strangest ways. Logging “Finds” for caches they think have gone missing etc….. hey if that floats your boat buddy!! :D

Reports have increasingly been filtering in over the last 3 months that a number of cachers have been logging virtual caches in the naughtiest of ways.

There are well known virtual caches which do not require one to go to a physical location and are “affectionately” known as armchair caches, and they clearly state that it can be logged by performing pure research or controlling a virtual cacher through virtual cache land etc. Whether one wants to do these or not is up to each person and there are no objections.

But the vast majority of virtual caches still require one to physically visit a location and either take a photo of yourself at the location or answer a question about the location to prove that you have been there as is requested by the cache owners.

It would appear that some cachers are frantically logging the latter without ever being near the location, just because the answers can be found on the internet or the fact that Google Earth provides the answer.

While I was aware of a few cachers that have done this, I tend to have friendly competition with a handful of fellow cachers that play the same way I do and therefore we scrutinize each others finds and there are jibes a plenty. All part of the fun.

There are few rules in this sport of ours (fortunately), so each to his own indeed.

However the question must be asked of these cachers, they know who they are, why log a virtual and make as if you were there in order to trick the cache owner into believing you have actually visited the location he/she wishes you to visit through the sport of Geocaching?

I’ve read some of these logs and unfortunately it makes very sad reading :P

Who are you trying to kid? Is this purely to climb up the rankings? What is the point?

Was under the impression that virtuals have been moved to Waymarking.com since 01.01.06. Anyhow, logging a find without having been there is not ethical in my opinion, would suggest that cachers cancel these logs.

Ever thought how a person could be the same day in Virginia US and in France? :(

Very well said, Global Rat - after all, this is only a game and is meant to be enjoyable!

If we cheat, we are only cheating ourselves and surely that must make for difficult sleeping at night! THE STATS PAGE IS WONDERFUL (we check it as often as we can make it up the stairs to the study!) and has brought an amazing spirit to the game in South Africa, but there really is no reason to try and cheat to just climb that ladder.

Play the game as it is meant to be played and have fun doing so. :(:(

If it is any consolation, I checked the UK forum site recently while in Scotland, and guess what one of the topics was on their forum - exactly this! So this unfortunately happens else where too, but the reaction was the same!

I just can't keep up with the rankings. There are heavy-weights climbing fast in seek of my position. :(

I have seen and done so myself, when a cacher is in seek of 10+ caches in a day, your ability to relax and enjoy the spot that the cache brought you to is under pressure to race off and find the next one on the list.

I am trying to slow down and be a more casual cacher, enjoying the steps to and from the cache. even if I only get to 5 instead of 10 for the day! :(

But each to their own. We all have different reasons to participate in this activity. I liked virtuals before they were banned. but I think this kind of activity is exactly why they were moved to Waymarking.com. I have noticed the activity, and even thought to mention it but decided that friendships are better to have then create annimosity within the community.

Let's all play nicely! :ph34r:

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with logging a DNF. If you don't find it, say so, then the cache owner knows there might be problem with it and should check. It also helps other cachers know not to kill themselves searching if the last person also didn't find it.

Sadly, I log a DNF about once a week. I know, I'm pathetic at caching, but I just keep torturing myself! :(

Well said, Globalrat!

Waymarking / armchair caching is a cheat's way out, and is a cheap alternative to the wonderful experience that is geocaching! Somehow armchair caches are in direct opposition to what geocaching is all about - getting you out to enjoy our great outdoors and take you to places you've never been before.

Personally I think armchair caches should be on a separate ranking system so that you don't have any negativity related to people cheating their way up the ranking system.

That said, this is just a fun hobby and not a kill-yourself-to-get-to-the-top pasttime! It's meant to be fun and the ranking system is there to ensure that geocaching continues to grow. In other words, those who take this too seriously need to lighten up and take time to enjoy the places geocaching takes you, and not simply fly through geocaches to clock up the numbers!

Edited by John-Gill

Cheating, like its been said, the Rankings page has really added another dimension to this game, and as this is a sort of a self regulating sport, I think we have two choices, firstly give the people who have done these virtuals a month to remove their listings, and then if they do not, make them remove the listings. We all want to enjoy the rankings and we all want to enjoy caching as a community. I think that if you want to do the “couch caches” so be it, some of them seem really tough and they are great. But to cheat is not just “lying to yourself” you are lying to the community and it takes away the spirit of the game and the fun.

Edited by ZAlandyman & Susieq

Grumble, grumble, grumble. Off-line we have been talking about this quite a bit, and I must say, I admire GR for starting this thread. Certainly a brave puppy to cry foul.

A while back GR and I were engaged in a friendly battle about the, then, Locationless caches. We talked about it a lot, saying that it was actually a stupid idea, but it got the numbers up. Somehow in there a few anomalies crept in, where people were logging the same location twice. In a friendly way I let some of them know. Some cachers went 'oh sorry, did not see it' and deleted their log. Others went 'Ah the owner did not pick it up, so my log stays.' Again, that's how we play the game. So each to his own. On the virtuals, the thought has crossed my mind many times to try and find the answers some other way, but somehow, the one I did do, just did not feel right. Even though the owner said that you did not need to visit the location, somehow it just did not feel right. It's like when you play golf and your ball lands somewhere behind a bush. You walk there, no-one around. How easy is it to just move the ball to a better spot. For some, this is easy and they can live with themselves. Me....I dunno.

Be that as it may, the Rankings brought about by QFC has certainly breathed new life into the caching in SA, and the guys really need a pat on the back for that. But for some it has turned into an all out assault on the top spot, finding all sorts of devious ways of clocking up the numbers. (like moving the ball just a bit to get a better shot) And if you look at the logs of some of these caches, it really is a shame. Just a bit different, because unlike the golf ball, you logs are out in the open for everyone to scrutinize

BUT. I still cache because I enjoy it. And thanks to the QFC initiative there are a lot more caches to do. So I will keep on doing it my way, ang grumble with my friends who also play the game I do. :(

So it's GFC's fault! :(

Just kidding. Great site, great service and great appreciation for its existence.

I have found it quite funny to read logs where cachers claim to have been there. The only people who care are those fellow cachers who know them, and they know enough to know the claims are not true. It makes for a nice hollow victory. It also seems that some of the armchair caches are armchair caches because it is possible to Google the answers, whereas only some specifically state that you can log a virtual find.

Nice challenge for GFC - build a lie detector into the ranking system! What about urine samples?

ooooohhh, it takes the guts of a Globalrat to start such a contentious topic. Well done sir!!

(although speaking of contentious topics, how come you constantly visit Cape town and never have a drink with any of us :(

Way back in the day, I was very opposed to locationless caches, but after seeing everyone overtake me, I had to lower my morals and start doing locationless. Once I had got my place back from Brick, I was happy to stop then. i was very glad though when they were moved to Waymarking :ph34r:

With regards Vespas comment on rushing the caches, i feel that I have been doing that a bit too much recently, driving here and there picking up lots of easy caches, and am looking forward to enjoying some of the more leisurely hikes up table mountain and such - when my non-geocacher permits it :ph34r:

With regards the underhanded tactics to increase ones rating on the sites, I think nothing has been more underhanded and disgraceful than TV&Ms deliberate attempt to make the no1 position unattaintable, by going to Scotland for a month and caching all day there. This sort of behaviour is unacceptable, and must be stopped immediately :(

Oh, and I think Vespa has a ruddy cheek being born in America, and then coming to our country, under the guise that he is married to a South African, and then conveniently leaving his American cache finds on his profile. I think this was a pre-meditated tactic to be in the top 10, as he knew he did not have what it takes to go up against those American cache machines :wub:

Yes!!! It is all GFC's? fault, when we find them we will let them know :( Will also have to tell part one that he has mutated into a G.... :ph34r:

But, seriously guys the ranking site was built for fun (in the days when Part 3 and I had time). We unfortunately can not monitor the site continually, and truthfully the site has taken on a life of its own…. We currently have: 264 cachers, 513 caches and 3051 updates to cacher positions.

As for checking on false cache logs, we would be able to do this if we had more information (all cache finds, cache types… … …) , but without abusing GC.com's web site (WHICH WE DO NOT WANT TO DO :ph34r:) we will not be able to get enough information.

We are currently working on the much anticipated??? version 2, but work has yet to start and it is still a mere twinkle in our gprs’ cpu’s capacitor. Will keep you posted as time goes on.

Hmmm, urine samples, last time I checked (liquid + electricity = bad stuff happening). Maybe DNA rather, much less liquid that way. :wub:

We would like to say thanks to GR for starting this topic and giving us more work. :(

While on the topic of the ranking site helping grow geocacher numbers, it seems like there is a technology divide on the borders of KZN. Maybe the last mile on that side is a LOOONG one :(

Thanks for the appreciation of the site! We aim to please: Some. :(

I honestly enjoyed the locationless caches, although I only did four (I think), they were great fun. The research into the subject and going to the site and taking your picture with your GPSr. I also quite liked the virtual caches. (pity they're only in Cape Town)

What about reporting the matter to QFC (judge, jury and executioner???) and letting it be his decision as to whether the log is legitimate.

A the same time we dont want to create a monster out of QFC :(:ph34r::(:ph34r:

Alternatively create a hall of shame lmao

Check out this link :

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8ea056...1ee000342a6.jpg

bawahahahahahaha

Edited by tramper

Every game (sport!!) has its cheaters ...

In rugby for instance players are not allowed to hit each other with the fist or trample each other with the boots (it is against the rules), cricketers are not supposed to sledge each other, tennisplayers are supposed to accept the ruling of the linejudges ... and so on and on and on ... All of these sports have strict and thick rulebooks, and still players do not obey ... :( The moment you get competition in anything people will start seeking for places to bend the rules and start cheating.

As with geocaching: There are no rulebook with hard and fast rules, there are no officials and referees ... everyone must be his/her own judge ... And let their own conscience be their judge, we know that everybody is not the same, thinks the same, plays the same ... Let them play by their rules and we all know they're a cheat... :ph34r:

All I think that is happening with a thread like this one (although I fully agree with what is said) is only bringing suspicion and animosity between players :( ... and harsh words being said ... and ... and :(

If they are such a threat to you on the ranking list, start your own and set the rules for your list and kick off everybody that is a threat to you or do not play by your set of rules ... and start policing the game :wub: ... Prohibition in the USA did not work ... :ph34r:

Thanks QFC for all your efforts to make our sport more interesting :( Why blame them!!!

On a different note: Some virtual caches are created to be armchair caches ... most of the time you have to ask permission from the owner to log a find. If you clearly state in your request for permission to the owner that you've researched the cache on GOOGLE or where-ever, and the owner is satisfied that youve done your bit and gives permission, then to me it seems kosher to log a find!!

You gotta feel sorry for those folk who think they have to cheat to get anywhere in life! It's kinda like eating a chocolate in the kitchen when the rest of the family think you're on a diet! In the end you're only defeating the object and cheating yourself. But hey, if it makes them happy and they can live with themselves.......

Well this issue (cheating the rankings) has been alluded to before in the forums here.

Nevertheless, it obviously is still a contentious issue, so herewith my 2c.

I have been caching for quite some time and love stats, on top of that I am very competative. I could quite possibly have gone the "cheating" route had it not been for the fact that I like travelling the road less travelled - a practice I did all my life and which Geocaching is now giving me an additional reason to do. I have done a locationless cache just for the heck, but it does not have any great appeal for me.

I simply won't claim a cache or plant a cache if the only purpose is to score some more points - hey the fun is in getting there.

Personaly I dont like micros or other caches without any content - the irony of claiming that getting there is all the fun is not lost on me - but bear with me here. I think that micros have a good purpose in multi's or taking you to nice spots where a bigger cache could not safely be hidden at.

Do I stop trying to find them? No, the rankings are still in my mind. I am, however, reaching the point where I am asking myself whether I could not have gone to a nicer place, rather than invested the time to find an empty cache or micro.

But, and here is the catch 22....placing more caches (empty or micro) may just increase the sport and hopefulle the number of decent caches. So for me, I take the good with the bad and strive to place only wortwhile caches myself. I am not trying to be unkind to anyone here, just stating personal prefference.

I think the rankings help both causes (good and bad), and for the sake of cosmic balance....I can accept it.

Bravo for trying to limit the negative practices though! This topic, should give newbie cachers a good idea of what practices are accepted and which are frowned upon by the older lads / ethical (there is that word again) cachers out there.

Edited by perdix

Every game (sport!!) has its cheaters ...

In rugby for instance players are not allowed to hit each other with the fist or trample each other with the boots (it is against the rules), cricketers are not supposed to sledge each other, tennisplayers are supposed to accept the ruling of the linejudges ... and so on and on and on ... All of these sports have strict and thick rulebooks, and still players do not obey ... :laughing: The moment you get competition in anything people will start seeking for places to bend the rules and start cheating.

As with geocaching: There are no rulebook with hard and fast rules, there are no officials and referees ... everyone must be his/her own judge ... And let their own conscience be their judge, we know that everybody is not the same, thinks the same, plays the same ... Let them play by their rules and we all know they're a cheat... :laughing:

Thanks QFC for all your efforts to make our sport more interesting ;) Why blame them!!!

On a different note: Some virtual caches are created to be armchair caches ... most of the time you have to ask permission from the owner to log a find. If you clearly state in your request for permission to the owner that you've researched the cache on GOOGLE or where-ever, and the owner is satisfied that youve done your bit and gives permission, then to me it seems kosher to log a find!!

Nobody is blaming QFC Wolkyno. They are doin this as a labour of love. Nobody is pointing fingers at them. The fingers are being pointed at people who cache in Tennesee, Antartica and Germany on the same day, logging virtual caches as if they were there, thereby influincing their ranking in South Africa.

As for rules in all kinds of sport...well, in rugby if I walk up to the scrum-half and punch him in the face, I am breaking the rules, right ? Well, I feel it was justified so I can continue playing, right? WRONG. I get sent off. AS for Virtuals, Groundspeak also have little rules.

I quote : 'Because of the nature of these geocaches, you must actually visit the location and acquire the coordinates there before you can post.'

Yes. I do admit that some caches are really 'armchair' ones, where the owner allows it (and I admit, I have one of these in my logs), but some have gone a bit far. Some cache owners expect you to actually go there, but the owner can be tricked into thinking that you were there, when you clearly were not. It's like our taxi-drivers that believe it is only illegal if you get caught.

Still, QFC's site is a great effort, and as I said before, has sparked interest in the sport again, but has also led to 'dubious' practices to get to the top spot.

Take Michael Schumacher's little prank on Saturday in the Monte Carlo GP. He is good enough as a racer not to HAVE to resort to cheating to win, yet for some reason he did. And got punished for it. But in the race he proved that he is worthy of the titles he has 7 of. All he did was irk the other competitors. This thread is there to draw attention to something that irks a lot of us. So the THREAD is not what spreads the animosity. It is the ACTIONS of fellow cachers that spreads that.

Nuff said.

In defence of armchair caches, we must say that there are some really fantastic ones, which you would never ever be able to visit, even if you wanted to. The one in Antartica took us at least a week to do, if not longer, and there are a few others that we've been busy trying to solve for months - maybe we are just thick and not as tricky as we thought, but difficult they are! Armchair caches must surely be very welcome alternatives to not being able to get out and about after an operation or illness or even in really horrible weather.

Initially we weren't happy with loctionless caches, but DID get a great deal of enjoyment rushing here, there and everywhere trying to find our very own special something. The whole family got involved and we would get phone calls from all and sundry telling us they had found just what we were looking for. So locationless caches also had their place in geocaching and we were quite sad to see them move to Waymarking - something we've never actually got our teeth into.

Then there are also those virtual travel bugs ..... ! Can anyone enlighten us on what purpose they serve? Do they also not just get one's trackable numbers up and not much else?!

And then, as for Scotland ........ ! Can't wait to go back, there are plenty more there for us to enjoy, too! :laughing::laughing::D But we promise to warn you in advance, Discombob, of our travel plans!

But, there are also a lot of really super one's in our very own country too, which we look forward to doing as soon as we can - WHETHER IT'S TO GET OUR NUMBERS UP OR NOT!!!! :angry:;)

But, there are also a lot of really super one's in our very own country too, which we look forward to doing as soon as we can - WHETHER IT'S TO GET OUR NUMBERS UP OR NOT!!!! :angry:;)

That's the spirit ... the people that's into caching only for the rankings are missing the point :D ... we do it for the sake of the outdoors ... the spirit of the game ... etc.

If I want to go out to cache I must drive at least 400km to the nearest cache as all that are left in my vicinity are the ones that I've hidden. :laughing::laughing:

That's the spirit ... the people that's into caching only for the rankings are missing the point :laughing: ... we do it for the sake of the outdoors ... the spirit of the game ... etc.

Can only but agree with Wolkynou's statement. But then what is the point of logging a virtual and duping the cache owner by making as if you were actually there? ........ so much for the outdoors and is this truly in the spirit of the game.....?

This is the question on many peoples lips, WHY do this, seems pointless if the cacher weren't purely in it for the numbers? Can someone explain this?

The debate here is not about "Armchair" caches. There are some good ones, and whether one chooses to do them or not is a cachers own choice.

The debate here is around the traditional virtual which requires a cacher to physically visit a location and provide an answer/photo.

So the THREAD is not what spreads the animosity. It is the ACTIONS of fellow cachers that spreads that.

Bravo for trying to limit the negative practices though! This topic, should give newbie cachers a good idea of what practices are accepted and which are frowned upon by the older lads / ethical (there is that word again) cachers out there.

On the money. This is NOT about rules or policing or creating animosity. This is about caching etiquette. As TVM mentioned, this is debated on just about each countries forums, and the practice is unanimously frowned upon.

Don't want this thread to be clouded with the FOUND=DNF debate, but it has been alluded to, so read this forum for some interesting reading :laughing:

Edited by GlobalRat

SusieQ here - Yes, I agree that there shouldn't be cheating and all the rest, but when it comes to caching to climb up the ranking or just enjoying the sport...I have to say I enjoy both. Thanks to the caches that lead us up the mountain, I easily climbed six flights of stairs today!! :laughing: I also appreciate our city so much more than before Geocaching! On the other hand, running around to find as many caches as possible in a day can be exciting too and some great memories have come from our late night caching :laughing: with our geocaching friends. Variety is key to our enjoyment of this sport. I think that cheating should be monitored somehow, but whether you enjoy geocaching by flying up the ranking, being outdoors, or both - then just enjoy it!

Redirect Your Honour

Perhaps I should have named the thread “VirtualGate”…..or “The Scandal that rocked…..” :(

Perhaps we should have just threaded something on Caching Etiquette.

Oh well. The debate is not to discover what drives people to cache, be it for the numbers or for fun or both. It's not to debate ranking systems or cache types.... rules and policing etc.....as fun as this all can be :(

It was really to discover what motivates cachers to do something which is considered as unacceptable by the geocaching community worldwide.

What makes a cacher log a virtual which requires them to dupe the cache owner? By definition it's dishonest.

A conclusion was reached offline, but that what the thread is really about.

We probably will not get a direct answer to this question, and indeed does an answer matter? This is a forum afterall.

Anyway, this just serves to highlight an activity which is frowned upon by a community....

:) if you didn't know... now you do...

:rolleyes: if you don't care... well now you know how most people feel about it... oh yeah I forgot... you don't care :P

Happy caching!

ooooohhh, it takes the guts of a Globalrat to start such a contentious topic. Well done sir!!

(although speaking of contentious topics, how come you constantly visit Cape town and never have a drink with any of us :rolleyes:

Oh, and I think Vespa has a ruddy cheek being born in America, and then coming to our country, under the guise that he is married to a South African, and then conveniently leaving his American cache finds on his profile. I think this was a pre-meditated tactic to be in the top 10, as he knew he did not have what it takes to go up against those American cache machines :)

Good point Bob, when are we going to finally meet face to face with GR?

And regarding my strategy of marrying a S African to thwart the rankings, I found 79 in America before realizing that caching was just sub-par and had to relocate to a much more worthy caching terrain if I were to be worth anything in geocaching. So SA fits the bill. :D Now if I remove the other 14 caches from other ends of the earth I end up sitting at about 14 or 15 in the rankings, not a serious blow in my opinion. I would be in good company there. There are some machines here Bob, ie:Discombob! :P

Of my 20 hides, all but two are in SA. So go find them everyone! :(

and on topic.....Me and another cacher just found a virtual cache in WP where a physical cache could have been easily yesterday. One of those, SA top of the mountain gems! Either way, we were glad we did the hike. Worth every minute of it. Virtuals are a reason to go somewhere, just like the cheap plastic junk that I never trade in caches. Just enjoy the hobby and community we have here. Coming from the outside, it is a great group of people to be associated with.

Log....uh, I mean.....Cache on! :(

Would you mind sharing the offline conclusion by any chance??

To paraphrase...

a. It's not in the spirit of geocaching, poor etiquette, unethical, bad form (you get the picture).

b. It's cheating

c. It seems to be driven by a desire to climb up the rankings

(although speaking of contentious topics, how come you constantly visit Cape town and never have a drink with any of us :rolleyes:

Good point Bob, when are we going to finally meet face to face with GR?

:( I thought I'd never be invited... having lived in CPT for many years... I know you're a funny bunch when it comes to entertaining anyone... especially when they're from beyond the borders of Camps Bay. :P

Perhaps I'll create an impromptu EVENT cache for drinks sur mer.... hell I need the points :):D:(

:( I thought I'd never be invited... having lived in CPT for many years... I know you're a funny bunch when it comes to entertaining anyone... especially when they're from beyond the borders of Camps Bay. :(

Perhaps I'll create an impromptu EVENT cache for drinks sur mer.... hell I need the points :DB):)

Tsk Tsk, GR, one doesn't need an invite to hang out with fellow cachers!

Typical stats hungry fellow - only willing to meet a fellow cacher if he gets some stats for it :(

So when are you next in CT?

Tsk Tsk, GR, one doesn't need an invite to hang out with fellow cachers!

Typical stats hungry fellow - only willing to meet a fellow cacher if he gets some stats for it :(

Can I come to the party too???? :(

One has to take any opportunity one can.... :( (joke)

Well, I live there...well 70% of the time... for now. Seriously though, low profile is predominantly work related :( . I'll give you a call.

Slightly off topic: Well, while on the topic of cheating the rankings, it seems that the ranking site has cheated itself. :D One of the raid hard drives died last week. I am promised that they are working on the problem and should have it back up soon.

Until then is seems like there is no need to cheat the virtual to get your rankings up, because the ranking are not up. <_<

Have fun caching away from the computer and rankings until the site is back up.

My Goodness! I am working for a change and this happens! I have also done a couple of virtuals - nothing wrong with that, but also progressed to love the old traditional. I have yet to find a micro and make up my mind as to the (personal) ranking of these. "Elke uil op sy kluit"

To all those who love caching, getting out and enjoying the worderful spirit of being alive - You will always find these people. Not so long ago I travelled with a (very) senior person in the org I work for (slavecamp that does not allow cachind during certain hours of a day - can you believe that?), who had a beer whilst driving juniors around (yes - drinking and driving!!!) and throwing empty bottles out the window! When confronted he shrugged and said "Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I?" I was dumbfounded and shocked! Later that same evening I watched a commentary by our deputy president who thinks he is special and can take a shower to safeguard himself.

That "they" are around us should be common knowledge, however, we do not have to respect these people, even if they progressed through the ranks to the top.

My Goodness! I am working for a change and this happens! I have also done a couple of virtuals - nothing wrong with that, but also progressed to love the old traditional. I have yet to find a micro and make up my mind as to the (personal) ranking of these. "Elke uil op sy kluit"

To all those who love caching, getting out and enjoying the worderful spirit of being alive - You will always find these people. Not so long ago I travelled with a (very) senior person in the org I work for (slavecamp that does not allow cachind during certain hours of a day - can you believe that?), who had a beer whilst driving juniors around (yes - drinking and driving!!!) and throwing empty bottles out the window! When confronted he shrugged and said "Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I?" I was dumbfounded and shocked! Later that same evening I watched a commentary by our deputy president who thinks he is special and can take a shower to safeguard himself.

That "they" are around us should be common knowledge, however, we do not have to respect these people, even if they progressed through the ranks to the top.

A budding Kipling.... well stated!!

Oh and welcome back! Here's hoping that new GPSr has eventually arrived and that we'll see you in the caching fields again. :blink:

I've only recently come back into the game and have been checking out the forums to see what I've been missing.

THIS post is unbelievable!

Who actually gives a hoot about rankings. Geocaching is NOT a competitive sport. It's a fun pastime that takes you out and about, more often than not to places you didn't know existed.

Each of us plays in our own unique way. If a player wants to grab virtuals - his choice.

The rankings? Not his choice - one of the other cachers decided to publish a ranking system. Why? Because he wanted to. The fact that ALL players are ranked on that site, without the permission or consent of the others is arrogant in the extreme as it implies that ALL players are keen to be ranked.

If you want to turn this into a ranking competition - then those cachers who WANT to play like that should be ranked. Leave the rest of the players alone and stop whinging about them.

Each to his own. This game is a lot of fun, but how easily it can be ruined by sniping attacks on people who play in their own way and inadvertently stuff up some competitive players rankings. Jealousy?

Just get out and find or place caches and have fun. Rankings actually mean nothing.

I better just let anyone who doesn't know. You are welcome to contact us if you would like to removed from the Rankings, we initially added people without contacting them, when we first started... perhaps it can be percieved as being arrogant, but our aim was to make it more fun for everyone, so call it ignorance towards those who have been upset about it. With most of the new cachers being added to the rankings, we e-mail them to let them know, and they are welcome to be removed at any stage with no hard feellings. Part 3 from QFC

Oh dear me! What can we say?

Geocaching has suddenly, in the past year, taken off in South Africa and what fun it has really become. Event caches happen frequently and lots of us have become good friends, despite all trying to be at the top of caching in South Africa. New caches are springing up everywhere and the number of people having fun caching is on the increase virtually every day. A little competition never hurt anybody and we welcomed the ranking system with open arms and check it morning, noon and night, to see who has done what. It has added a new dimension to caching - a dimension that we are enjoying very much.

QFC, very well done - you have certainly helped set geocaching on the map in South Africa and for this we thank you.

:D Wow!

What is there to say? I guess it would have to start with an apology to all geocachers who we have deeply offended with the ranking site and for trying to build up the community through this site. As everyone who has visited the site since the upgrade would have seen, we are trying to make this site about more than just the rankings, we are trying to make it about you the cacher. We have always asked for suggestions and criticism (the earlier would be preferred :) ).

We may be stepping on people’s toes by “stealing their thunder” and “stealing” hits from their websites, but we have always maintained that the site is a “use if you want to” site. It is there NOT ONLY to rank the cachers, but to list the cachers in each province so you can get to know who the local/national players are.

As Part 3 pointed out earlier should you do not want to be ranked/listed then please use the contact us page/email us and just ask. You will be unranked the next time that we have access to a computer.

We can not stop people cheating, we can neither remove their non-legit stats from the site. Since this topic was created, people have come to deal with this. And MANY TIMES we have agreed that this sport is played as you want to play it. Do not let other cachers ruin it for you.

This thread was originally created to point out that caches that say you need to be at the cache site to find them, really mean it? And to ask cachers who log finds instead of DNF’s to rather not.

This is all I have to say for the moment. :D

Part 2 QFC

You folks REALLY need to get laid! Best wishes from the cacher's utopia, sunny, bonny, Scootland.

Indeed! But hey, Scotland struck me as many things but NOT sunny.

Maybe we should get umpire Darrell Hair to give us the final verdict on this one....