Cachepolice@hotmail.com

I'm sorry if this has already been talked to death and I just missed it, but wtf?

I planned to search for a cache and find it missing. when I check back at geocaching.com it has been archived and the owner says click "here" to see why it was archived

this is the msg that appears at the link, what the hell?!

From: "yourworst enemy" <cachepolice@hotmail.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: teamdeserteagle@sbcglobal.net

Subject: get a grip on geocaching

Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 01:52:44 -0400

I have just moved here from Georgia and figured out that you are the

one to

beat when it comes to being the FTF on geocaches. Well guess

what.....your

time will come to an end shortly. We had this same problem with a

geocacher

down here and I know how to solve the problem. Since I noticed that

you

also have a lot of geocaches that you have hidden, here is the

proposition....you can have "3" FTF in a single week. If you get more

than

that, I will remove one of your hides for every FTF after "3" (per

week).

Sorry to make this a problem for you, but your obcession is hurting the

game

for all newcomers involved. The more newcomers involved, the more

caches to

find. I think that you have enough FTF's, so why not let some others

have a

chance?? It is much more exciting for someone who has never had a FTF,

than

for you to get your.....what 1500th?? or more..... Don't you

think?

If you think you are all high and mignty, think again. I have over

finds. And since I am in a new area, you will still be second best to

me.

Yes, I have all the gadgits that you do, but being FTF is not a

priority to

me. I love to see a virgin get one. It is more exciting to me than

being

FTF myself. You think you what to report me? Good. I will continue

to

monitor you under a different name. So good luck....I'll be watching.

Also, let your friends know. They may be on the chopping block next.

Is this normal?

Over 4000 finds? Then they should be easy to spot, any of the rankings sites would have them in the top 25 in the world. :rolleyes:

It's just some stupid kid who can't get mommy to drive him around to new caches fast enough, so he's playing all high and mighty. Chances are he can't get mommy to drive him around to back up his threat either. I'd ignore it.

Edited by DocDiTTo

Psssst. If TDE is following this, hotmail is NOT anonymous. If he would like to forward me the email with full headers displayed I would be happy to tell him what ISP to contact to report the abuse to (that email would violate the terms of use for most ISPs), as well as what IP address to forward to Groundspeak. I'm sure they could connect the address to the real user.

this topic was discussed in-depth at the MIGO forums a while back but the site appears to be down at the moment. In short TDE said he wasn't planning on slowing down looking for FTF's based on this idiot's threats.

Also several Migo members searched and could find no one from Georgia who was even close to 4000 finds.

Don't be too sure that this stuff doesn't happen...check out this TB I found that was spawned from similar activity.

That activity occured in North Ohio. The OP mentioned a cache stolen from Michigan. The same person could be responsible. I suspect that they did recently move to the area, but was not honest about from where they came, as they knew other cachers would find out their identity. I would look for someone who is new to Michigan, but who has cached in the same area as where the TB in N. Ohio came from.

I'd contact abuse@hotmail.com. You stand a very good chance of getting his account pulled for sending threatening email (the "yourworstenemy" part is a gimme). You'll have to figure a way of describing geocaching so that they understand he's threatening to steal from you if you play a game in a way he doesn't like.

Hotmail, having been abused so much, doesn't like it.

Getting this account pulled won't stop him being a jerk or carrying through on his threats, but having to shop around for email addresses is a drag. And they might even send him a scary message about sending threatening emails.

OK, so just what is an FTF ?

First to Find on a cache. In many areas, competition is hot for it, and often enough the same people manage it time and again. This aggrieves other people, who believe in enforced equality.

I hate to go out for FTF, but if our FTF hounds stopped hiding, we'd be in a world of hurt. They tend, obviously, to be very good players.

It's just some stupid kid who can't get mommy to drive him around to new caches fast enough, so he's playing all high and mighty. Chances are he can't get mommy to drive him around to back up his threat either. I'd ignore it.

(1-2-3-4-5)

theres 5 of TDEs caches I just stumbled on that "cache police" has already stolen, who knows how many others.

this topic was discussed in-depth at the MIGO forums a while back but the site appears to be down at the moment. In short TDE said he wasn't planning on slowing down looking for FTF's based on this idiot's threats.

That's good, it sucks to miss out on TDEs hides that this maniac has stolen, but it would also suck to lose TDE altogether.

First to Find on a cache. In many areas, competition is hot for it, and often enough the same people manage it time and again. This aggrieves other people, who believe in enforced equality.

That's funny, because I cache right smack in the middle of desert-eagle-country and the one time I decided to go out and finally nab a FTF I had no trouble doing so (and I am a relatively new cacher). Just waited until I got notified of one relatively close at a time when I was free to go for it. So while TDE is VERY good, it's not as if he makes FTFs impossible or anything. "Cache Police" must just not be fast enough, that or doesn't give newbies enough credit.

I've never had a single bad experience I could trace back to TDE but I've already had 5 I can trace back to "Cache Police". I don't know who he thinks hes "helping".

Edited by Team Cyberlove

(1-2-3-4-5)

theres 5 of TDEs caches I just stumbled on that "cache police" has already stolen, who knows how many others.

Ok, I was wrong. I guess his mommy gave in. :(

I'd take this message as a challenge. Steal my caches if you wish, but I'll be FTF on every cache within 15 miles of home. The more you steal, the more FTF's I'll fight for. Guaranteed. :(

The bad part is, the only people he'll likely hurt, are the other cachers in the area. If it were me, I'd just quit putting out new caches and once the maggot steals all my existing ones, I'd continue the FTF quest hard as ever. Judging from a couple posts in this thread, TDE puts out good caches, so the cachers in the area will be the ones to lose out when he archives all his existing ones, and quits hiding more.

Devil's Advocate: He's got a point. If one guy or team has over a thousand FTF's, then leave some for the little people.

Although, forced equality by another player is wrong. There are or should be proper channels to escalate the grievance.

If Desert Eagle busts his a** why shouldn't he get the FTF?

I don't understand this point at all. It's like saying if a boxer is good he should start tying 1 arm behind his back or if a runner is good he should give head starts.

Also:

* How is a FTF sweet if it's only because someone backed off and "let" you have it?

* According to desert eagles profile he only has 200 something FTFs not thousands.

* I had no problem getting a FTF in TDEs turf and I've been caching only a couple months. You just have try. It's not like the guy can teleport.

Edited by Team Cyberlove

Devil's Advocate: He's got a point. If one guy or team has over a thousand FTF's, then leave some for the little people.

Although, forced equality by another player is wrong. There are or should be proper channels to escalate the grievance.

Back off and let the little people have a few? Ha! That's like winning olympic gold only to find that every other player in the Mexico City olympics drank the water the day before. That medal may be gold but it would feel hollow.

I let a lot of new caches near me go for a while to allow others to FTF them just because my first FTF was fun. Most of my FTF's have been out there for at least several days before I attempt them. The FTF I nabbed this past weekend had been out since Oct of last year. Of course, I had to hike 17 miles (4 of them in snow) with a total ascent of over 6000 ft and taking me 13 hours for that cache. I have no idea why somebody else didn't go for it first! :(

But to FORCE a cacher NOT to FTF - that's just wrong!

Wrong!

Wrong!

Wrong!

We have a guy here in KC that got every FTF in a 50 mile area. That caused a few of us to form a team to beat him to the FTF. Now every new cache is an event and you can count on meeting several cachers there. We are very thankful for the fact that his obsession has created a very strong comradeship in the area. Read the logs of any new cache in KC and you will see folks commenting on who they meet and the fun they had.

Don't be too sure that this stuff doesn't happen...check out this TB I found that was spawned from similar activity.

:laughing::laughing:;):D;):D:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

That's over the top. It's one thing to ask a cache to be archived if it needs to be. But this m@*^!$*$@#&r needs a little wall to wall councling. You don't just remove a cache because you don't like it. What a dillhole!!!

We have a guy here in KC that got every FTF in a 50 mile area. That caused a few of us to form a team to beat him to the FTF. Now every new cache is an event and you can count on meeting several cachers there. We are very thankful for the fact that his obsession has created a very strong comradeship in the area. Read the logs of any new cache in KC and you will see folks commenting on who they meet and the fun they had.

now THAT'S a rational solution!

:laughing::laughing:;):D;):D:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

That's over the top. It's one thing to ask a cache to be archived if it needs to be. But this m@*^!$*$@#&r needs a little wall to wall councling. You don't just remove a cache because you don't like it. What a dillhole!!!

Yeah no kidding.

I was all set to do the ones I mentioned and the dillhole stole them all.

Here's my personal solution to FTFs (and most locals have heard me state this): For every FTF I get, I put out a cache that gives back the FTF opportunity to the local geocaching community. I know this isn't an option for a lot of people, but that's the way I like to give back to the game. Kind of like trading fairly: take an FTF? leave an FTF. :laughing:

--Marky

Here's my personal solution to FTFs (and most locals have heard me state this): For every FTF I get, I put out a cache that gives back the FTF opportunity to the local geocaching community. I know this isn't an option for a lot of people, but that's the way I like to give back to the game. Kind of like trading fairly: take an FTF? leave an FTF. :laughing:

--Marky

Well done!

No person has the right to do such a thing, and I think if we had the opportunity to face such a person, many of us would jump at the chance.

Should someone hog the ftf's......... well, why not? If they care that much. This isn't 4th grade gym where mama yells if everyone doesn't get a chance, and no one should be upset to arrive second or third.

I'd be a whole lot happier if everyone could express their opinions without describing threats of violence. Nobody likes the behavior, but let's think of more eloquent ways to say what we feel. Thanks.

But what if we're 100% serious and accurate

not just exagerating how we feel? lol

Edited by Team Cyberlove

I'd be a whole lot happier if everyone could express their opinions without describing threats of violence. Nobody likes the behavior, but let's think of more eloquent ways to say what we feel. Thanks.

But what if we're 100% serious and accurate

not just exagerating how we feel? lol

Scenario: Someone does just that:

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law..."

Threats posted here can very well bite you in the buttocks in a trial. And Groundspeak might take heat too, for hosting the threats, regardless of their position on the matter.

Is cachepolice a jerk? Seems like it. Just don't dig your own grave, and one for Groundspeak too.

/The above reflects my opinion, and as I am neither a lawyer, nor a Groundspeak Lackey, take it all with a grain of salt.

Threats posted here can very well bite you in the buttocks in a trial.

lol, are you saying beating someone up is cool, but just don't brag about it on the internet or you might get caught?

I've studied a bit to become a PI. I think it would be much more interesting to just post his address, phone number, photo, and employer online with a copy of his nasty email.

And Groundspeak might take heat too, for hosting the threats, regardless of their position on the matter.

Is cachepolice a jerk? Seems like it. Just don't dig your own grave, and one for Groundspeak too.

they will totally shut down the interweb for offhand remarks. ZoMg!1!

in other news, the sky is falling.

Edited by Team Cyberlove

Now that I think about it, theres pobably a good case legally against cachepolice.

I was thinking "stealing" before which is a pretty weak case, but on second thought "stalking" is a pretty solid case.

sneaking around, keeping tabs, harrassing emails, sabatoging your game.

geocaching is just so behind-the-scenes,,,,, if you imagine him sabatoging a basketball game or golf in the same way, you see how ridiculous and harrassing it is.

Threats posted here can very well bite you in the buttocks in a trial.

lol, are you saying beating someone up is cool, but just don't brag about it on the internet or you might get caught?

I've studied a bit to become a PI. I think it would be much more interesting to just post his address, phone number, photo, and employer online with a copy of his nasty email.

No, not saying that at all... :laughing:

And Groundspeak might take heat too, for hosting the threats, regardless of their position on the matter.

they will totally shut down the interweb for offhand remarks. ZoMg!1!

in other news, the sky is falling.

Eh, you were kinda funny up until that. I said Groundspeak could take heat, not the whole internet. And I didn't say Groundspeak would even lose IF there was a civil suit. What I am implying here is that Groundspeak is a listing service - they have better things to do than pay a lawyer (sorry Rothstafari!) & court costs for a lawsuit (no matter how dumb). Why give someone the legal leg-up by saying stupid crap like that? There is another thread here where someone said they would MACE someone. If saying you are gonna punch somebody (no matter how deserved), is it any better than saying you are gonna mace them? Cut them? Shoot them? What is teh difference? You are threatening bodily harm over a GAME. Threatening like that is about as childish as one can get. That places the threatener right where cachepolice is - in the sandbox at kindergartem.

And if you wanna get it right, it isn't "ZoMG!1!", it's "OMBWTFBBQLOLZOXXORZ!!1111!" Go back to trolling school. :laughing:

Edited by New England n00b

Eh, you were kinda funny up until that. I said Groundspeak could take heat, not the whole internet. And I didn't say Groundspeak would even lose IF there was a civil suit.

Thanks, that clarification was very important since "they will totally shut down the interweb for offhand remarks. ZoMg!1!" was obviously super-serious and literal.

You are threatening bodily harm over a GAME.

Only as much as your threatening legal action over a single comment on the internet..

Threatening like that is about as childish as one can get.

<snip>

Go back to trolling school. :laughing:

Trolling school?

Is that where you learn to blow up offhand comments people make when blowing off a little steam? Or is that where they teach ad hominem name-calling about "children" in the "playground" makes a crushing point against immaturity? Please cite some specific laws concerning obvious jokes made online, I don't think this is ridiculous enough yet.

Please let the mods do their jobs, you'll notice their warnings were appropriate and didn't spawn any new arguments, unlike yours.

Everyone here was on the same page till you wanted to fight about this so who's the troll?

Edited by Team Cyberlove