Printed Pages

dmeenach

I am a bit new to this although I have been a Land Surveyor for 30+ years. I have learned to download batches of caches and suck them up with GSAK and import them to my GPSr. It is apparently an older moel, Garmin 72, almost the same as a 76. Point is there is (as far as I have learned) no way to acces the extra data provided with Gpx format.

That's O.K. but I do like to take some printed material with me mostly 2 pages per cache.

Question: Is there any way to print the map page (at reasonble resolution) and a second page (with a few clues or logs) for each cache in batch mode????

It is very time consuming to to print each of these pages for each of these caches, one at a time.

Hope this communicates, and thanks for your support,

Dennis

Edited by dmeenach

I have a Palm M500, which you can get on eBay for less than $30.00. Add Cachemate to it for $8.00 and with an Export from GSAK in the Palm format, you solve the problem of having to print the cache pages. thumbsup.gif

I have seen tips in this Forum about Exporting from GSAK to a spreadsheet program and getting the information for many caches all on one page.

That doesn't solve the map probem, however . . . :rolleyes:

You might ask about what others do over in the GSAK Forum. :P

I never was able to. You either printed one page at a time or you get the whole thing which can waste a lot of paper. I have a Pocket PC where I keep this info now. I use GPX view to read the gpx files which give me the cache page, the clue, and the last 5 logs. This has saved a lot of trees.

:rolleyes:

I believe you can export from GSAK to a mapping program (ie: Microsoft Streets and Trips).

That would enable you to print a map with all of the caches on it. It would also show the relationship between the cache locations so you can plan your route more easily.

Someone showed me how to do it, but I don't remember exactly how.

Play with GSAK and see what you can come up with.

I use MS Streets and Trips for my maps. I use GSAK to export a MS S&T file. Then I import that data file in the map program. At this point you can zoom in or out as you please and print out the pages. I have a pocket pc so I just load the map into the PDA but I still like the printed page. I don't have a problem with sunlight washing out the map when using paper.

I was just highlighting the parts of the cache page I wanted and then go to file and print, when the print box comes up change the box on the left side to say "Selection". Then you can do whatever you need to, to print the map. I have also gone paperless with an Ipaq 1910 that I bought off here in the Garage Sale Forum.

I believe latest incarnation of EasyGPS has a proximity feature of where a cluster of caches are loacted (no map though) .

Also ON printing pages from geocaching.com web site put web page into PRINTER FRIENDLY mode...

You usually only get one page and it provide basic map....

I usually select a few caches for any given day of hunting so I only print a few caches at a time... I have tried to find a cache or two from old data and only to fimd it has been ARCHIVED... SO I make printed pages only when I plan what cache to find...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I am a bit new to this although I have been a Land Surveyor for 30+ years. I have learned to download batches of caches and suck them up with GSAK and import them to my GPSr. It is apparently an older moel, Garmin 72, almost the same as a 76. Point is there is (as far as I have learned) no way to acces the extra data provided with Gpx format.

That's O.K. but I do like to take some printed material with me mostly 2 pages per cache.

Question: Is there any way to print the map page (at reasonble resolution) and a second page (with a few clues or logs) for each cache in batch mode????

It is very time consuming to to print each of these pages for each of these caches, one at a time.

Hope this communicates, and thanks for your support,

Dennis

Paperless Caching... Or?

How about one (1) piece of paper with all information needed for a daily hunt for caches.

I use “Bookmark Lists” with: >name>GCxxx>Hints>Type of container>any info I think is necessary. All this on a printed sheet of paper ...If info is long, then maybe two (2) pages...to me it beats carrying: PDA > GPSr > and maybe,>Camera, handheld compass, > etc. of course this list is negotiable. To me, this saves cost of a PDA + all the extras needed to operate the Computer and PDA. Cost analysts favor the Bookmark list.

Good luck and Good caching [:)]

I was just highlighting the parts of the cache page I wanted and then go to file and print, when the print box comes up change the box on the left side to say "Selection". Then you can do whatever you need to, to print the map. I have also gone paperless with an Ipaq 1910 that I bought off here in the Garage Sale Forum.

I do the same procedure (I just highlight the parts of the cache page I want and then go to file and print, when the print box comes up change the box on the left side to say "Selection". ) I also copy and paste to a bookmark list when I am hunting for 5-20 caches on an outing. This takes coordination between: cache page and bookmark list for that outing...You can paste 15-20 caches on one printed page with cache name>location> type container> micro> etc, >Hint, just what ever info you want... :(

I often use paper on my caching trips. What I do is download a pocket query of the area in which I'll be caching. I slice the data to suit me using GSAK. I export the .GPX file into Microsoft Streets and Trips so I have a nice overview of the area and the relative locations of the caches. Sometimes if I'm feeling froggy, I'll assign different icons for different types or sizes.

Next, I use GSAK's "condensed print" option to print the cache pages. With this method, you can often fit four or five cache pages per sheet. Using the multiple pages per sheet printer option and double sided printing, I can usually get anywhere between 20 and 40 cache pages printed on a single sheet of paper.

So.. .when I leave on a multi-day caching trip, I'll have with me at most three or four sheets of paper, and I'll have with me all the cache pages as well as a general map of the area.

I think this method would work just right for your needs as described. Let me know if you'd like more detailed instructions.

Jamie