Searching For Caches "cold"

Pat&Rascal

I have a small number of cache finds under my belt (only 10). Typically I cannot access geocaching.com before I make a search and go for a stored waypoint in my GPS. The last four (traditional) caches that I have attempted cold i.e, without accessing the geocaching.com entries,have been DNFs.

On accessing the details of the caches, the hints and logs make it obvious where the cache is. In one case the cache was at the end of a wall 25 metres from the GPS zero point! In a second case (where the cache is an ammunition box) there are 25 holes big enough to hide an ammunition box that I searched in the bog closer to the waypoint than the cache location. The hint is a photo of one of the hiders pointing at the cache site. In the third case, the hint gives a bearing and distance from a bench near the waypoint.

Am I naive in expecting that there is at least a sporting chance of finding a cache without reading the hints? The hardened geocache anoraks who have found these caches appear to have no problem with them.

A bit of background - I am a newbie at geocaching, but I have had a GPS for six years so I know very well how they work.

Am I completely useless at this game, or is it normal to find a cache location the size of a tennis court with no distinguishing features and a waypoint that is 20-30 metres off beam in a location with perfect reception - fitted out with a microcache?

A Regular-sized, or Large-sized Traditional cache rated a '1' for Difficulty should be able to be found without the hint.

Anything smaller, or rated with a higher Difficulty, nope . . . ;)

I have the Description, the Hint, and several Past Logs with me in my Palm so I have a better chance of finding the cache on my first trip to the location. :)

Hang in there.

When I started this madness...er...game I DNFed more than my share.

You will soon learn to think like a geocacher.

You can print the cache page and save it for when you get out there.

Many of us have gone "paperless".

Using a PDA to save many cache pages.

Saves on ink and paper.

It depends on the satellites. There have been times that standing at the cache site my my GPS had the same coordinates as the cache page, and still said I was 30 feet away.

Experience can play a part learning where a geocache might be. You learn to think like a geocacher (where would I hide a geocache), and detective (what looks out of place).

Then there is the perversity factor, often different for me than others. I can seem to find a micro under a rock in the middle of the field, but can't find an ammo can in the woods many times.

I'd say any cache rated 2 or less for difficulty should be findable without a hint. Thats as long as the owner rated the cache properly.

Stick with regular caches first and move on to micros later. Once you've found a dozen or so micros you should get a feel for the kinds of places they are hidden and they will come a lot easier.

I usually read the owners instructions about the cache, print out the page and load the coordinates in my GPS- then off I go. If I don't find the cache in a reasonable amount of time I will decypher the code. I almost never read the logs (although sometimes it might have been a good idea).

I wonder if you are looking for caches hidden by someone who thinks that it is more of a challenge if the coordinates aren't quite accurate. Just something to consider, especially if the caches are all by the same person. To me dead on coordinates are a point of honor and I have real respect for those people who can put me right next to the cache.

I have been caching since Nov. 2004. When I started I was out with GPS only, No hints. My first 300 finds was with out any type of information IE: printed or pda. Although during this same time I had a bunch of DNF's also.

Since then I have gone paperless, carrying my PDA with all the cache information I need. Also I use special TAGS on my gps for terrain, difficulty, container type. GSAK is the cache sorting program that I use. Excellent program, and I haven't even touched what all this program is capable of doing. Through this program I load my GPS (Garmin Legend) and my PDA (Palm Zire 31).

Like others has said the more you do the easier it gets.

Don't expect the Gps to be 100% accurate. There is veriables to consider. The reception of the hiders GPS on the day it was hidden. The reception on your GPS on the day you are looking. The best way I have found is to follow your gps to zero, Look for obvious spots while walking toward zero. Then just start looking. I find a circle of about 60 to 100 ft from zero is usually all you have to look in.

Good luck and don't let some No Finds deter you from this game.

No, they shouldn't. And yes, you do have a "sporting chance". The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. This is why the hint is encrypted, use it if you want/need to. The cache owner can make it that way if he wants but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable or fun. :rolleyes::):P

Edited by Team Cotati

Caching has changed since I started. I know I am sounding like the old guy that walked to school up hill 5 miles each way. (I am sure I did that to). It is true though. When I first started caching they were all full size cache in URPS. In fact I remember on ammo can that was painted flourescant orange sitting out in the open on a hillside. Finds were easier, but cache density did not exist. As an examply I was lucky enought to have the 10th most finds in one day according to the statistics. This was 26 finds (and logs) in a 24 hour period. My caching partner and I started our day in the dark, and found our last 3 caches by flashlight. We also drove over 250 miles in doing so.

I am not saying that the good old days were better just different. If caches were spread out as much now as then there is no way I would have found nearly as many caches as I have.

A few thoughts off the top of my head:

Caching is harder than it sounds. Some day, when you have found many, this will make you glow with pride. But for now it's just ticking you off.

Your GPS is farther off than you think. At least, mine is. Add to it the hider's GPS error, and really...the darn things just get you in the general neighborhood of the tupperware.

In some ways, 1/1's have to be better hidden, as counterintuitive as that sounds. They're in easily accessible places, and thus more subject to accidental finds. Even well-hidden caches are often stumbled over and lost due to accidental finds.

You're doing fine so far.

Yes, having the cace information and te int make finding it a heck of a lot easier, but it does take a little of te fun out of it. And sometimes caches don't have hints, which is ok. But knowing what the cache container is and wat size it is is helpfuil. After all, how can you find something if you don't know what you're looking for. Trying adding tags, like M for micro on your GPSr.

Well thanks folks,

I am amazed that so many folk have given me the time to reply to my wingeing! Thanks for the encouragement and for being so positive in your replies.

I think I have learned that caches are not always so easy to find and that even veterans may have more trouble than I thought.

For anyone visiting Belfast, the most enjoyable of my small group of finds is GCRYMN. It is a multicache located in a small country park only 2 miles from the city centre. You definitely need the cache description to solve this puzzle, but you will get a nice introduction to a lovely area.

Thanks again and I promise to persevere. If I fail trying cold, the answer is to go to the cache entry and return later for another go with sonar, arm length gardening gloves, divining rods, or whatever it takes to find the target!

Cheers,

Pat&Rascal :(