Team Caching

There's been a lot of discussion regarding the 'new 24 hr record' and how to log a team find. As most cachers are social beings, I believe that most of us, at one time or another have cached with someone else. What I'm looking for in this post is the terms which others use for justifying their team finds. Here's my input:

1. I normally cache alone, but still normally sign logs with my geocaching name of 'Team Madog' I occasionally sign as just 'Madog' when I'm alone, but this is the exception. I call myself Team Madog, because there are often times when I'm not alone.

2. I often cache with my wife, or others, who do not have a GC account. In those instances, even a non-GC account holder finds the cache, I claim a found log. I participated in the find, and signed the log and logged it online.

3. I sometimes cache with other GC account holders. Even if I'm not the one who found the cache, my name is entered in the log, and I claim the found smiley.

4. When caching with others, I feel that it is OK, for one member of the group to sign all members of the find teams log names. In these cases, all members of the group are withing slapping distance. For instance, one person may be signing the log, while other members are exameming the swag. Again, all members are touching portions of the logs.

So the final quesitons as to what constitutes a valid find in the greater GC community are:

1. If caching with a non-GC account holder and they find the cache before the account holder, should the GC account holder be able to claim a find?

2. If caching with other GC account holders and I'm not the one responsible for the find, can I stilll claim a find?

3. When caching with others, do I have to physically sign the log, or do I have to be within touching distance while another member signs for the group?

One final question, does the majority of posters here, feel that I should go back and delete every log that I was not the one who made the find? I'm not saying that I'll do it, but I'm interested in the GC morals.

I could take this one step further and express my feelings on stickers, but I'll leave that for others.

I would say every example you gave is a valid way to search and find a cache.

The problem I have is

1) our "Team" was within a half mile of each other, so we all claimed the find as a team.

2) I was in the car, but my wife signed my name to the log along with her GC account.

3) I didn't find the cache or sign the log, but I know I was in the right spot

I would say every example you gave is a valid way to search and find a cache.

The problem I have is

1) our "Team" was within a half mile of each other, so we all claimed the find as a team.

2) I was in the car, but my wife signed my name to the log along with her GC account.

Perhaps, I should have said that every team member was within slapping distance of the other cachers. This should cover 1 and 2. #3 is never an excuse for a found log. ;)

No need to delete finds IMO.

I've cached with a group of up to 15 before on what we affectionately call "DeathMarches" (10+ miles, 1,500 feet elevation gain and 12+ caches en route).

We've occasionally made stickers up with everybody's name on it that attended, but we too were all present at each cache when they were found. I found one, the other guy found one, etc. but we we all looking and on site.

This thread and this thread seem awfully similar to me.

The other post is in reference to the ways the 24 hour holders claimed the finds. I'm looking for a more general Team caching standards.

Well, I don't see the difference. Caching is caching, whether it's for a record attempt or for a fun day of caching, whether it's one person or a hundred.

#1. Find a cache (all people in group, since they each hafta log it online)

#2. Log the cache (all people in group, since they each hafta log it online, one person could write the team name if appropriate)

#3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until done for the day.

Seems pretty simple to me. ;)

:) I normally cache alone, however when caching with others, we are a group, not a team as such. We are:1- looking for the same cache

2-within slapping distance

3- when the first person spots the cache, they either say" I see it" and stop looking while the others keep looking or say nothing and just stop rooting around. Eventually all have spotted it and someone picks it up.

4- everyone signs for themselves

5- on to the next group caching experience.

Doing it this way everyone gets to actualy experience the hide for themselves. You also get to do a little good natured heckling of those still looking after everyone else has found it.

I think of this as a simple find it, log it, have fun way to do things. That's the game I like to play. ;)

:);):):D:D:D

Why not just go by the golden rule if you find it (and really see and touch it) then log it.

Logging a find that you did not find no matter how close you were is the same a just picking radom cache listing and posting as find

:);):):D:D:D

Why not just go by the golden rule if you find it (and really see and touch it) then log it.

Logging a find that you did not find no matter how close you were is the same a just picking radom cache listing and posting as find

I think ksks was using the examples as 'questionable' finds, not valid.

1. If caching with a non-GC account holder and they find the cache before the account holder, should the GC account holder be able to claim a find?

2. If caching with other GC account holders and I'm not the one responsible for the find, can I stilll claim a find?

3. When caching with others, do I have to physically sign the log, or do I have to be within touching distance while another member signs for the group?

Once while caching alone I came across an ammocan that had been pulled out of hiding by a raccoon. Very much in plain sight.

Did I claim it as a find? Yes I did.

What's my point?

I was there.

Talk about timing; I logged onto the forums to ask pretty much the same question, and this topic was at the top! A few months ago, I introduced my ladyfriend to geocaching (after about an 18 month hiatus myself). She's taken to it with great zeal. So much so that she does pretty much all the research and planning for our outings. We occasionally go out individually (what she calls "cheating" on each other), but we pretty much geocache as a team. There-in lies our dilemma; we both have seperate accounts, and when we geocache together, it's either she or I that actually makes the "find".

We've disussed creating a "joint account" to log finds when we're together, and log individual finds in our seperate accounts. But then there's the question of going back and sorting out what were "joint" finds in our individual accounts (not that there's a whole lot to sort through; I have 40+, she 30+).

In the mean time, we've taken the "I see where it is" approach, to allow the other spot it too. We don't care about setting any kind of records, although there is a healthy competition between each other regarding finds. We do agree that who ever does "find" the cache first, gets to log any travel bugs, etc.

Edited by CbusRog

My husband and I cache as a team,we also cache with other cahers(teams and singles). We have a rule for finds.

When someone spots the cache they walk away and mention they have seen the cache.They then wait for the others to spot the cache.When everyone says they know where the cache is, we open the cache and each team or individual signs the log.

This works great for Us. Each person feels they got to do the hunt ;)