Trouble With Mapcreate 6.3

I really like my new Lowrance Expedition, but I'm not too happy with MapCreate. My points of interest are not in the correct location. I've checked to two different towns in my area and most points are off. Schools are blocks over; churches on the wrong street; restaurants are blocks away from where they are suppose to be. This is very irritating. So far the streets are correct. Have any of you had this problem? Have I done something wrong loading this software?

I just received Map Create, and have noticed the same thing. Inserted a way point and it is about two blocks off. Also am having trouble getting card to regester. Wondering if I made a mistake with my buy.

i bought the iway 100m last september and the ifinder m&m(map and music/mp3). just beginning to load the map create 6.3 on a 1gb sd card. since 9:30pm sat. it's been over 40 hours now and itl still calculasting size.

maybe the 1gb is just too large. i was thinking of getting a 4gb so i can put all of what 6.3 has to offer. looks like canada and mexico. think its possible? when i'm finally done with this 1gb installation, i will check this out. maybe i'll compare this to my streetpilot 2610.

A lot of them are off, sometime a little, or a lot. That is because they used addresses to get the location for the businesses, and they move, or it just doesn't line up. I have been to POI's that were dead on, going right to the parking lot. Others are way off. I always take that into account, but 99% of the time, when going to a POI you will find it by looking around the area. Start looking before you get there, and even after you pass it. Most of the time they are within sight of where it tells you to go.

On 8/21/2004 I wrote this e-mail to Lowrance about POI's being off:

Question:> I have Map Create 6.2 and quite a few of the Points of interest in my area are in the wrong positions, off by as much as a couple of miles. How can I edit them and put the in the correct place?

On 8/24/2004 I received this response:

Thank you for your inquiry. The data supplied is provided by Info USA and is licensed data. Unfortunately this data can not be altered under the license agreement. If you would like to supply the points that are not correct, we would be happy to forward this information to the vendor.

Thank you for supporting Lowrance Electronics.

Lowrance Customer Service

12000 E. Skelly Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74128

I don't find the POI's on 6.3 to be any better, not that Iv'e noticed anyway... but then again I stopped using them.

I still like my Lowrance Ifinder H20, wish I could say the same about mapcreate 6.2/6.3 Topo

Roy

On 8/21/2004 I wrote this e-mail to Lowrance about POI's being off:

Question:> I have Map Create 6.2 and quite a few of the Points of interest in my area are in the wrong positions, off by as much as a couple of miles. How can I edit them and put the in the correct place?

On 8/24/2004 I received this response:

Thank you for your inquiry. The data supplied is provided by Info USA and is licensed data. Unfortunately this data can not be altered under the license agreement. If you would like to supply the points that are not correct, we would be happy to forward this information to the vendor.

Thank you for supporting Lowrance Electronics.

Lowrance Customer Service

12000 E. Skelly Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74128

I don't find the POI's on 6.3 to be any better, not that Iv'e noticed anyway... but then again I stopped using them.

I still like my Lowrance Ifinder H20, wish I could say the same about mapcreate 6.2/6.3 Topo

Roy

crappy software, garmin's still the best, or atleast it works! i cant even put this on my iway 100m, much less know if the unit works or accurate!

if i soun upset, it's because i am irate. 1 week later of trying to load the map onto my sd card twice, i am about to give up!! but then i bought this unit from eBuyer.com. a disreputable etailer!

All that can be expected from any map software is to help get you in the general area. Believe it or not, at some point in a journey you will most likely have to look away from the GPS and actually start looking for directional signs, etc. of the POI you are seeking. Personally I've found MapCreate to be a good mapping program and as accurate as any I've used.

The POIs are often off a bit, but the roads seem to be DEAD ON! Georiga 16 is off by about 1/8 mile for abotu 5 miles in Spalding County, but other than that, I have never found a road to be off by more than a few feet.

I don't know that anyone's POIs are all that accurate, anyway - but I DO know that when I was sent to school at a HOliday Inn last month, the map got me off at the right exit, and I saw the sign right away. Good 'nuff for me.

The POI data in MapCreate is very poor, for many areas where I have used it.

But I've noted similar deficiencies in EVERY mapping product I have used from different vendors. To paraphrase Robert Lipe - All GPS mapping software sucks, they just suck in different ways

Generally accurate and up-to-date information (albeit with occasional omissions and mis-placements) is in Google Earth. It's easy to look things up ahead of time in Google Earth and uise GPSBabel to transfer POIs as waypoints to your Lowrance. I'm using this combination more often than MapCreate now.

And as someone else said - eventually you have to look up from the GPS at your surroundings!

Mapcreate 6.3 - besides having a burdensome copyright protection scheme that treats owners of the program as if the were convicted software pirates - is plagued with substantial and significant errors in the database and the road maps. I've found many incorrect address and location depictions just in my neighborhood. I've also discovered that some major roads are missing - including some of the portions of Interstate 99 that have been built since 1992! And some of the interstate highway exits with which I am familiar are incorrectly depicted.

In essence, Mapcreate 6.3 is not a product you can rely on for directions. Moreover, when I contacted Lowrance technical support about the defects in their maps, their response was that I should not use the Mapcreate software for driving directions - which seems like an odd statement given that at their web site they describe Mapcreate 6.3 as follows:

"Want high-detailed, highly-accurate mapping? Want to select only the regions you travel in most? How about make a custom map for a road trip vacation? Want to plot out your path before you're there? MapCreate Series 6.3 mapping software can handle anything you desire."

Their web site should say "Want maps you can't rely on for driving directions? Want maps missing major highways and incorrect interstate exit depictions? Want to buy a product from a company that doesn't care that their database and maps are so incorrect that their mapping software is essentially useless? Then by all means, buy Mapcreate 6.3"

All that can be expected from any map software is to help get you in the general area. Believe it or not, at some point in a journey you will most likely have to look away from the GPS and actually start looking for directional signs, etc. of the POI you are seeking. Personally I've found MapCreate to be a good mapping program and as accurate as any I've used.

What do you mean all that can be expected is to help you get in the general direction?I purchased the software because of what it says it does. Why even put the POIs in the software if they are wrong? One of them I checked on was miles away. Now that is plain bad software. When I purchase software, I expect it to do what it says. A few mistakes, ok, but most of the POIs are wrong. Mapcreate has problems with addresses, so knowing that, I will not count on it, but I was mislead. Also, a major highway runs through my town, US 49. About a mile of it is gone--nothing there--then it just picks up again. It is not a good deal for the money.

I received a response from Lowrance about the software and I got the feeling they didn't care a whole lot. They asked if I could give them an example. I gave them a slew of them and haven't heard back.

I still like the GPS. It's great. The software is ok since it is the only ballgame in town, but know that you can't count on it and it isn't everything that it promotes. It had our local restaurants, but they were blocks away, but didn't even have the hospital listed on there--had the parking lot, though.

What do you mean all that can be expected is to help you get in the general direction?I purchased the software because of what it says it does. Why even put the POIs in the software if they are wrong? One of them I checked on was miles away. Now that is plain bad software. When I purchase software, I expect it to do what it says. A few mistakes, ok, but most of the POIs are wrong. Mapcreate has problems with addresses, so knowing that, I will not count on it, but I was mislead. Also, a major highway runs through my town, US 49. About a mile of it is gone--nothing there--then it just picks up again. It is not a good deal for the money.

I received a response from Lowrance about the software and I got the feeling they didn't care a whole lot. They asked if I could give them an example. I gave them a slew of them and haven't heard back.

I still like the GPS. It's great. The software is ok since it is the only ballgame in town, but know that you can't count on it and it isn't everything that it promotes. It had our local restaurants, but they were blocks away, but didn't even have the hospital listed on there--had the parking lot, though.

For what it's worth, Navteq provides the mapping and POI for Gargellans too. The POI come from local/County GIS surveys in all probability. Some of the POIs are going to be where they ought to be on all maps and some won't having compared mapping with Garmins on a few occasions I can say that I have found the Lowrance maps more accurate, and more complete.

I recently purchased the iFinder H2O+ with MapCreate 6.3.282 and I really like the GPS unit but am less than impressed with MapCreate. After creating a waypoint or a route I can't get the software to move the waypoint, either on it's own or within a route. I've read the manual, the help files and different FAQs and as far as I can tell I'm doing it correctly. This is what happens. I can right click the way point and select "Move Waypoint" and it attaches to my pointer. Everything I've read suggests I just need to move the waypoint to my new location on the map, click the left mouse button and it will detach in the new location. It absolutely will not detach from the pointer. I've tried the software on 3 different computers, (All windows XP, 2 professional and 1 home edition). They all do the exact same thing. The only combination I've been able to come up with to cause the waypoint to "let go" of the pointer in the new location is to hit "F6" which drops the waypoint but brings me to the "Draw Map Borders" feature. I've sent LEI 2 emails and they haven't even responded in 5 days. I keep thinking it's got to be something I'm doing wrong, I can't possibly imagine someone releasing software with such a basic function not working correctly? Has anyone else noticed this or can tell me what I'm doing wrong? If it's my fault fine, I just want it to work. Are there any updates or patches for the software I might be missing? Love the iFinder H2O, disappointed in MapCreate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Specifically this is the software:

MapCreate USA Hunting Topo Version 6

6.3.282 Copyright 2004

Edited by ntw

I have had my Garmin 60CS take me to points of interest using City Select without a problem. The only time the POI has not been there it has been a restaurant that has closed or moved. It is obvious the the restaurant was there because you could see the building. I am glad I don't normally have that problem because I travel all the time for business and it would be a real pain to attempt to go to a place to eat and find that it wasn't really there.

I can confirm the same behavior, I couldn't get it to drop the waypoint any other way.

I recently purchased the iFinder H2O+ with MapCreate 6.3.282 and I really like the GPS unit but am less than impressed with MapCreate. After creating a waypoint or a route I can't get the software to move the waypoint, either on it's own or within a route. I've read the manual, the help files and different FAQs and as far as I can tell I'm doing it correctly. This is what happens. I can right click the way point and select "Move Waypoint" and it attaches to my pointer. Everything I've read suggests I just need to move the waypoint to my new location on the map, click the left mouse button and it will detach in the new location. It absolutely will not detach from the pointer. I've tried the software on 3 different computers, (All windows XP, 2 professional and 1 home edition). They all do the exact same thing. The only combination I've been able to come up with to cause the waypoint to "let go" of the pointer in the new location is to hit "F6" which drops the waypoint but brings me to the "Draw Map Borders" feature. I've sent LEI 2 emails and they haven't even responded in 5 days. I keep thinking it's got to be something I'm doing wrong, I can't possibly imagine someone releasing software with such a basic function not working correctly? Has anyone else noticed this or can tell me what I'm doing wrong? If it's my fault fine, I just want it to work. Are there any updates or patches for the software I might be missing? Love the iFinder H2O, disappointed in MapCreate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Specifically this is the software:

MapCreate USA Hunting Topo Version 6

6.3.282 Copyright 2004