New Ways To Cache...

In light of recent events swirling around the geocaching world, here are some ways I plan on adding to my(and others) list of caches/TBs found.

I have an archived cache called Short Stop. It was archived by me for a few good reasons, but now I can reactivate it. I am planning a caching trip this summer throughout eastern Canada and a few New England states. I have two plans for this cache.

1. Take it with me and every time I meet a cacher, have them sign in.

2. Print out 300 or so cache log pages from my Short Stop cache and leave a few in each cache I do. Then have the next cacher(s) take that sheet if they want and sign it and send it back to me so they can claim a log/find in a remote part of Labrador. That way they can avoid our blackflies and the high costs of travelling, yet still log caches in remote parts of the world.

3. Finally, I am planning on hosting an event in October, 2006, final date to be determined. The event will be a "Team Earth Anti-cache Meet" (T.E.A.M.) A select few (no more than 5) cachers from every country in the world that has caches will leave their homes at precisely 12:00 noon local time and head out to find as many caches as they can in 6 hours. I realize that countries like Burkina Faso only have 1 or 2 caches to find, but they can still participate. We should easily surpass the old insignificant record of 312 or so, since 221 countries times 5 cachers times even 2 caches each would be 2210 caches logged as a team, and this would be in 6 hours! A few rules will apply...

I. You MUST actually sign a log book that is INSIDE the cache by taking the time to actually open the cache and physically write a note. This may slow us down a little, but even at 10% less caches, we STILL have a great chance to annihilate the old record!

II. Your driver may wait in the vehicle you are using, if you have a driver (and a vehicle!)

III. If there is no cache at your location when you arrive, simply place a container there and log in to that with a picture of your GPS showing that you REALLY were at those coordinates. People using PaintShopPro or Photo-Shop editing of a generic GPS shot will have their T.E.A.M. logs removed, SO DON'T DO IT.

IV. This will meet with all the specs of the governing body of finding/hiding geocaches, unlike some other questionable practices that happened recently. Nowhere does it say anything about the entire T.E.A.M.'s physical proximity to the actual cache. You have to simply log the cache as a T.E.A.M. member for all of the rest of us, and in one day, we have a world record and a smiley for every one of those 221 countries involved.

V. As an added incentive, I could plan a special commemorative coin for this event, available to all who participate at a cost that would leave me with a substantial payoff for all my hard work organizing this event. The coin could then be brought to another meet where everyone there could log your coin and get the icon, even though they did nothing to actually earn the coin, but heck, it's not about the icons, RIGHT??

VI. The T.E.A.M. members cannot log caches they have already logged themselves, or caches they own. That might seem like cheating! These must be bonafide valid finds on caches you have not previously visited.

FAQ...

1? Why is the name 'Team Earth ANTI-caching Meet' used?

A. It's a contrived name... any better suggestions can be used without compensation to the originator if I like it better.

2? Will this be a valid meet?

A. It doesn't invalidate any rules I know of as blatantly as some other events have.

3? How much is the coin going to be?

A. Depends on demand... I am hoping to be able to retire and REALLY cache all over the world from the royalties. However, if FAQ 4 meets expectations, participants will get a FREE coin!!!!!!!!!!

4? Why is it so long before we can 'meet'?

A. I hope to get TV/Cable Hollywood movie/book rights in place first. Since it is a worldwide event, similar to the Olympics, I expect great things and lots of money to pour in... to me!

5? Are you serious???

A. Depends on FAQ 4!

Edited Spelling!

Edited by ArcticNomad

2. Print out 300 or so cache log pages from my Short Stop cache and leave a few in each cache I do. Then have the next cacher(s) take that sheet if they want and sign it and send it back to me so they can claim a log/find in a remote part of Labrador. That way they can avoid our blackflies and the high costs of travelling, yet still log caches in remote parts of the world.

Gee, that still seems like too much trouble for me. Can you just mail me one of the cache log pages, with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I'll sign it and mail it back to you?

I think its about time for someone to build a geo-arc so then we can have a geo-flood, and get rid of all the bad geo-eggs and start the sport again with geo-purists...

Don't you mean "ark"? :rolleyes:

You can't put electronic files in an ark (a ship), you can put them all together in an .arc (ARChive file).

I think its about time for someone to build a geo-arc so then we can have a geo-flood, and get rid of all the bad geo-eggs and start the sport again with geo-purists...

Don't you mean "ark"? :rolleyes:

You can't put electronic files in an ark (a ship), you can put them all together in an .arc (ARChive file).

Yeah, but that wouldn't work because the forums have that "flood control" thingy.

In light of recent events swirling around the geocaching world, here are some ways I plan on adding to my(and others) list of caches/TBs found.

I have an archived cache called Short Stop. It was archived by me for a few good reasons, but now I can reactivate it. I am planning a caching trip this summer throughout eastern Canada and a few New England states. I have two plans for this cache.

3. Finally, I am planning on hosting an event in October, 2006, final date to be determined. The event will be a "Team Earth Anti-cache Meet" (T.E.A.M.) A select few (no more than 5) cachers from every country in the world that has caches will leave their homes at precisely 12:00 noon local time and head out to find as many caches as they can in 6 hours. I realize that countries like Burkina Faso only have 1 or 2 caches to find, but they can still participate. We should easily surpass the old insignificant record of 312 or so, since 221 countries times 5 cachers times even 2 caches each would be 2210 caches logged as a team, and this would be in 6 hours! A few rules will apply...

This all sounds good to me! I have always wanted to have a find in Labrador backcountry, and I have always wanted to be on a team with the highest 6-hour find count in the universe, so count me in! As for the Labrador backcountry cache, I will bring along a piece of paper when we meet for the log signing, so that you can sign my piece of paper and claim finds on all our Psycho extreme caches, even the radioactive one! I love this! I call it "Travel-less caching, one step up from paperless caching!"

:):):D:rolleyes::P:D:D:D:D

Gee, that still seems like too much trouble for me. Can you just mail me one of the cache log pages, with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I'll sign it and mail it back to you?

Yes, and in fact, I will mail you 10 copies each of the cache log page copies for each cache, and that way, you can claim 10 finds on each cache!

:rolleyes::P:)

I hope this is a joke. A very bad joke. This isn't going to make anything better in fact it will do just the opposite.

Dear Glenn,

Your sarcasmometer seems to be broken.

Indeed.

Read FAQ #5.

BTW, I didn't think it was a very bad joke at all, I thought it was an incredibly outrageously FUNNY joke!! Just like some of the goings on within our wonderful activity. Of course since I wrote the joke, I kinda would think that. :laughing: BUT if you want to attack me for my perceived very poor joke-writing ability, I guess I'll just go hunt for more caches and never, EVER post in here again... in fact, I'll even hide all my stats and keep all my new cache placements to myself so no one else can find them and mess with them ever again! That'll teach ya!

I would like to suggest my own event. I call it 'THE SIX DEGREES OF GEOCACHING EVENT'

If you are familiar with the concept of Six Degrees of Separation ( explanation is found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation ) you will easily understand this event! The most beautiful thing about this event is all geocachers will be able to log thousands of caches in only 1 hour. Buy suing this concept you can log the finds of anyone in the world that finds a cache in this one hour time frame.

I suggest the time take place at 12 noon GMT on the Summer Solstice.

Imagine logging a cache in every country in the world! Puzzle caches, micro, multi, virtual, mystery all type of events! Imagine the bragging at the next CITO event.........."I have the world record and have 439,571 caches to date plus every geocoin and my little travel bug 'I Feel Used' has 1.3 million miles and the only cache I have ever placed has been found by 273,950 differnt cachers"

Any one else up for this record breaking attempt?

I'm actually thinking of setting a new no-caching-record by neither searching nor logging any cache for a few weeks.

:laughing: Then again - any newbie or geomuggle might easily break this record... *sigh*

I already broke that record and you haven't even set it yet! I have 1 year and 2 days between my first and second find. :laughing:

I was out in the woods the other day with my GPS and a handful of coordinates, and there I was, walking along following the little arrow, and I stumbled across an ammo box. Among all the delightful little trade items in it was a notebook. People had signed their names in it, so I did too.

It was a really fun experience! But now I wonder: what was it, and did I do everything I was supposed to do?

I. You MUST actually sign a log book that is INSIDE the cache by taking the time to actually open the cache and physically write a note. This may slow us down a little, but even at 10% less caches, we STILL have a great chance to annihilate the old record!

II. Your driver may wait in the vehicle you are using, if you have a driver (and a vehicle!)

III. If there is no cache at your location when you arrive, simply place a container there and log in to that with a picture of your GPS showing that you REALLY were at those coordinates. People using PaintShopPro or Photo-Shop editing of a generic GPS shot will have their T.E.A.M. logs removed, SO DON'T DO IT.

IV. This will meet with all the specs of the governing body of finding/hiding geocaches, unlike some other questionable practices that happened recently. Nowhere does it say anything about the entire T.E.A.M.'s physical proximity to the actual cache. You have to simply log the cache as a T.E.A.M. member for all of the rest of us, and in one day, we have a world record and a smiley for every one of those 221 countries involved.

V. As an added incentive, I could plan a special commemorative coin for this event, available to all who participate at a cost that would leave me with a substantial payoff for all my hard work organizing this event. The coin could then be brought to another meet where everyone there could log your coin and get the icon, even though they did nothing to actually earn the coin, but heck, it's not about the icons, RIGHT??

VI. The T.E.A.M. members cannot log caches they have already logged themselves, or caches they own. That might seem like cheating! These must be bonafide valid finds on caches you have not previously visited.

FAQ...

1? Why is the name 'Team Earth ANTI-caching Meet' used?

A. It's a contrived name... any better suggestions can be used without compensation to the originator if I like it better.

2? Will this be a valid meet?

A. It doesn't invalidate any rules I know of as blatantly as some other events have.

3? How much is the coin going to be?

A. Depends on demand... I am hoping to be able to retire and REALLY cache all over the world from the royalties. However, if FAQ 4 meets expectations, participants will get a FREE coin!!!!!!!!!!

4? Why is it so long before we can 'meet'?

A. I hope to get TV/Cable Hollywood movie/book rights in place first. Since it is a worldwide event, similar to the Olympics, I expect great things and lots of money to pour in... to me!

5? Are you serious???

A. Depends on FAQ 4!

Edited Spelling!

If I go to Kinko's and have them print out a couple thousand stickers with my name on them and mail them to you can you place one of my stickers on all the logs you find and then e-mail the waypoint name so I can log the find. And you could pass out my stickers at all the events you attend so the other cachers can do the same and in no time at all I'll have a lot of smileys to call my own.

thanks

I was out in the woods the other day with my GPS and a handful of coordinates, and there I was, walking along following the little arrow, and I stumbled across an ammo box. Among all the delightful little trade items in it was a notebook. People had signed their names in it, so I did too.

It was a really fun experience! But now I wonder: what was it, and did I do everything I was supposed to do?

Did you take a picture of yourself nude and holding the ammo box? :laughing:

So sorry, Richard. That particular subject has been done to death already. I rather doubt it will resume the popularity it held a week or so ago.

So sorry, Richard. That particular subject has been done to death already. I rather doubt it will resume the popularity it held a week or so ago.

So you are saying you did not get that picture taken? If you need help getting that picture, I can help. We would not even need to find the same one. We could jsut use ones I have around the house, and if we hold them at different angles, you could claim them as different caches.

I would like to suggest my own event. I call it 'THE SIX DEGREES OF GEOCACHING EVENT'

If you are familiar with the concept of Six Degrees of Separation ( explanation is found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation ) you will easily understand this event! The most beautiful thing about this event is all geocachers will be able to log thousands of caches in only 1 hour. Buy suing this concept you can log the finds of anyone in the world that finds a cache in this one hour time frame.

I suggest the time take place at 12 noon GMT on the Summer Solstice.

Imagine logging a cache in every country in the world! Puzzle caches, micro, multi, virtual, mystery all type of events! Imagine the bragging at the next CITO event.........."I have the world record and have 439,571 caches to date plus every geocoin and my little travel bug 'I Feel Used' has 1.3 million miles and the only cache I have ever placed has been found by 273,950 differnt cachers"

Any one else up for this record breaking attempt?

HA! I'm in!

Those who are truly ambitious (and happen to be taking this seriously - double HA!) can log my GeoBacon cache for the event.

I think I'll create a special SP account for the event ... Maybe use the name Chip Diller ...

Hmmm, can I go out and find like 600 caches over the next 6 months and with the owners permission not log them until January 1st 2007? Then I can hold the world record all to myself!! :( Ohh but what would be better is if I could "borrow" all the caches and keep them in my garage, moving them is ok right? :rolleyes:

Sorry I just had to let it out.

Did you take a picture of yourself nude and holding the ammo box? :)

I assure you that pictures of you will always be popular with me. :)

Hmmm, can I go out and find like 600 caches over the next 6 months and with the owners permission not log them until January 1st 2007? Then I can hold the world record all to myself!! :) Ohh but what would be better is if I could "borrow" all the caches and keep them in my garage, moving them is ok right? :)

Sorry I just had to let it out.

WOW!!!! I just saw this post/idea and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! I WISH I HAD THOUGHT OF IT MYSELF! There is no rule stating WHEN you have to log your find, so this would be perfectly acceptable in my view! You would have a valid record for most caches logged in one day! PMaholm is my new pic for pres! (DO NOT remove them though... that is a WHOLE different matter!)