Public Playgrounds - Variable Update

Hello,

Following is a list of the current variables for the Public Playgrounds category:

------------

* Park Entrance - optional - additional coordinates

* Hours of Operation - not optional - start time/finish time

* Seasonal? - not optional - checkbox

* Restrooms Available - optional - checkbox

* Recommended for Travelers? - optional - checkbox

* Business? - optional - checkbox

* Entrance Fee - optional - textbox accepting currency

* Playground Owned/Managed by - not optional - multi-line textbox

* Playground web page - optional - web address or URL

--------------

Here are some proposed changes:

----------

Frivlas suggested that we change the "Hours of Operation" to a text box to allow things like "dawn to dusk" or other ways to note that the times change during the year.

--------------

I've noticed that several playgrounds are designed to be "accessible." Should we add a check box to include this information?

---------------

My original idea for the "recommended for travelers" variable was to distinguish those specific playgrounds that would be worth visiting while traveling through the area (good rest stop places). I think at this point it is confusing and not necessary since the descriptions have enough info for people to decide. Should we get rid of it?

---------------

Do we need to change/get rid of/add any variables? How about the types or whether they are optional?

I'd prefer to give this a good look-see and make any changes all at once rather than doing each one at a time...

So, what do you think?

~J of TeamRJMK~

For obvious reasons, I am in favor of making the hours field into a text field. Very few (if any) parks in my area have set hours. Most are open at sunrise or 7am and close at sunset, dusk or half an hour after sunset.

--------------

Adding an optional field for accessable sounds reasonable...I would like to see a short definition of accessable on the page though to avoid confusion.

---------------

I agree. I think that with the pictures and the descriptions, people will get a decent enough idea about if they want to visit the park or not.

Thanks for this category, it's really a cool one!

Love the "Dawn to Dusk" option, makes a lot of sense. Perhaps also a "24 hour option", and a "not listed" option as well?

"Handicapped Accessible" is definately a good idea but I agree a definition is needed. Perhaps "Wheelchair Friendly" might be a better idea. Meaning the access to the play area and the play surface itself are compatible with wheelchairs and there exists some amount of play equipment accessible to wheelchair bound / mobility impaired kids. I've seen one recently that the big kids play structure was more than half accessible to wheelchairs due to ramps instead of steps between stages. The play structure was also directly accessible via a paved walkway to the beginning of the play structure ramp. I would definately call that one HA/WF. I saw one yesterday that had good access and good play surface, but the only compatible equipment was a single oversized swing with body supports. Yeah the kids can get there, but there is little for them to do. And finally, how about another one I saw yesterday had a single oversized swing in a playground set in sand, definately not handicapped friendly. FWIW, the new PC phrase in the codebooks up here in NH is "Mobility Impaired".

I like the idea of the "Recommended for travelers" option, but it is ambigous. Yesterday the big playground was near a major hiway exit with plenty of parking, picnic space, bathrooms, and room to run around. I would be thrilled to find something like that while traveling with my daughther. As opposed to the neighborhood parks that are kinda hidden away w/o facilities available. Still nice but less friendly to those with squirmy kids screaming in your ear while driving to grandma's.

One last chapter to this book I'm apparently writing. I did a drive-by of an elementary school playground yesterday that is not posted, is apparently accessible to the public, but obviously not to be used during school hours. Not sure if this would warrant a seperate option box, or a "hours of access" option, or perhaps a generic "special instructions" box.

While we are at it why not issue special ID cards stating you are Waymarking, not staking out victims. I see lots of nice playgrounds while driving around for work but can't stop because my daughter isn't with me. Just too weird...

TeamRJMK -

I agree with the other respondents. Additionally....

I think you may have one too many variables in the Public Playgrounds category. The variable called "Park Entrance: List coordinates for the park entrance" is perhaps redundant with the waymark's main coordinates. If not the park entrance, the waymark's main coordinates are for what, exactly? Maybe the nearest car parking lot entrance, or maybe where the playground is within a park, or where a ticket office is (if any)? Perhaps what you want is the main set of coordinates to be for one park entrance and the variable to be for the coordinates for a second park entrance (if any).

It's unfortunate that Waymarking does not have a variable based on a variable, like in this case a radio button to indicate whether the opening/closing times are based on clock time or on sun time. If clock time is clicked, then what you have now pops up, otherwise you get text or a "sunrise/sunset" button. There could be other variations; a local dog park says "a half hour after sunset" here.

An option is to have all 'hours of operation' questions be optional (maybe with 'no answer' boxes), include separate questions for each mode, so the person would fill out whichever mode applies.

This is a bit off your topic, but Grenadyr sort of brought it up. A given schoolyard playground's accordance with the rule "Playgrounds in schoolyards should NOT be submitted unless they are open to the general public, including non-residents." may be difficult to determine without calling the County, etc. I tend to think that no schoolyard playgrounds are actually public, but I don't know. It might be safer to just say: "Playgrounds in schoolyards should NOT be submitted." Back to your question, though, it's possible that some school playgrounds are open to the public when it isn't during school hours. In that case, your "Hours of Operation" variable should really be named "Public Hours of Operation".