Is My Opinion Overboard?

I really do not get too wound up about much in the Geocaching universe. However, I did develop a very stong opinion about THIS CACHE, and have included my note below. I am not looking for validation or to be told I am stupid for my opinion. Rather, I am curious as to others' opinions about a situation such as this.

NOTE LEFT ON GEOCACHE PAGE:

"I do not get offended by much in Geocaching, since I believe Geocaching is for the Geocachers, and that rules should be minimal.

However, the rules are simple. Find a cache. Sign Log. If you take something, then leave something.

I find it hugely disrespectful and an insult to Iraq geoachers to have a cache clearly not found logged so many times. I gather from the logs that the "cache" was used at GW4, apparently.

Sometimes, a find is not just a smiley. Sometimes, to some of us, there are certain caches we are quite proud to have on our list, and obviously went through great pains to log certain caches. We develop comraderie also with those that have found the cache.

Perhaps I am way out of line. Yet the fact remains, I am offended by the logged finds on 27 MAY 06."

This really cheapens caching. Its not about the numbers. It is about taking special caches and turning them into cheap tawdry fakes. Since the owner has logged a lot of texas caches lately, it looks like this may be per his approval. I hope not though.

I feel like Im around a bunch of sleezy third rate politicians.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

As we've seen before, Geowoodstock is all about the numbers, and very little about the ethics of obtaining them.

GW1 and GW2 I truly wanted to to attend, but couldn't.

GW3 and GW4 I personally boycotted. I actually toyed with the idea of flying down to JAX last year, log some local caches, have dinner with some of my caching friends from around the country that were there, and NOT attend GW3, but I'm pretty sure my one man protest would have been largely overlooked.

Y'know....I sit and read a lot of things about people's logging practices. I read about multiple finds on the same cache, finds that are really dnf's and my opinion has always been that these issues are just between the cache owner and the cacher. There's no score in this game, no governing board. It's about how you play the game and I've come to some peace with the reality that even if you're on the same website I'm on, you might be playing a different game than me.

But this is just stupid.

This practice cheapens this game for everyone. There is no cohesiveness to the caching experience with this practice. It cheapens the experience of those who put real time and effort into finding the cache. It makes GPS usage utterly meaningless when you can log a cache that is registered in one country or even state in a completely different state. This does nothing to build or strengthen the caching community. All it does is bastardize your own stats.

If you logged caches like this you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Bret

When I read about things like this, and when I read about pocket cache logging, multi-event cache logging, geocoin serial number swapping just so folks can get more icons, and of course my own personal crusade (Stop Micro Spew ), it just tells me that it's time to stop recognizing anyone for the number of, ahem, Finds, that they've amassed. From a scoring/counting standpoint, our once-great game has now officailly taken the wrong turn.

Hey, since there are rules against having "moving caches" perhaps all these cache from all over the world sitting on a table in TX should be archived.

Excellent point.

Since owners can only move caches .1 mile all of these caches should be disabled or archived.

What's the point of posting coordinates? What's the point of going on the hikes? What's the point of exerting any effort if I can just wait around and have someone bring the cache to me?

Bret

Y'know....I sit and read a lot of things about people's logging practices. I read about multiple finds on the same cache, finds that are really dnf's and my opinion has always been that these issues are just between the cache owner and the cacher. There's no score in this game, no governing board. It's about how you play the game and I've come to some peace with the reality that even if you're on the same website I'm on, you might be playing a different game than me.

But this is just stupid.

This practice cheapens this game for everyone. There is no cohesiveness to the caching experience with this practice. It cheapens the experience of those who put real time and effort into finding the cache. It makes GPS usage utterly meaningless when you can log a cache that is registered in one country or even state in a completely different state. This does nothing to build or strengthen the caching community. All it does is bastardize your own stats.

If you logged caches like this you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Bret

My feelings are similar to those stated by CYBret above. I do not need to judge others for practices I do not agree with, and I am at peace with the fact that other users of this geocachign website obviously handle their finds and scoring in a way rather than different than the one which I choose. However, it seems that what the OP encountered was a "pocket cache" or maybe not even a pocket cache, but rather just "Owner permission to log a find on this cache, which is really located over 7,500 miles away in a foreign country; permission granted because I met you or one of your geobuddies at GW4". I find this very odd, and very bizarre myself. For me, a cache find iinvolves traveling to the hide spot, seeking the cache, finding the cache at or near its hiding spot, and signing the logbook. sigh! :laughing:

Just got this email. Had to edit it so as not to get banned from the forums myself, but the unedited version has been forwarded to Groundspeak.

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

Such an ***HOLE. This is a duplicate cache so we can be part of their lives. There is always someone

like you that just can not shut their mouth. You have done a disservice to everyone that wants to be

part of the lives of those in Iraq. Shut up if you do not know what is going on.

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=29...af-001413c30f30

Guess that makes it all right. Carry on.

Just got this email. Had to edit it so as not to get banned from the forums myself, but the unedited version has been forwarded to Groundspeak.

Such an ***HOLE. This is a duplicate cache so we can be part of their lives. There is always someone

like you that just can not shut their mouth. You have done a disservice to everyone that wants to be

part of the lives of those in Iraq. Shut up if you do not know what is going on.

User's Profile:

In other words, a pocket cache where the owner gave out the number of an UNarchived cache they can use to log it as a find.

Even dumber.

You feel the need to "be part of their lives"? Go to the cache page, click on a service member's profile, and send them an email. No, it doesn't increase your find count...but that's not what this is about...right????

Edited by 4leafclover

User's Profile:

Just wanted to comment on the bold parts.

If this is REALLY the case, it appears like the person who sent me the email also just wanted to be part of the lives of the people living in Oklahoma and Tennessee (and probably WI, FL, and MA, since those states are "represented" at GW4 as well). I'm very sorry if I've done a disservice to the residents of those fine states.

User's Profile:

Send this link to them, I would have gone further into the website, but I don't know how many of them there are........... http://www.cheapflights.com/book-flights-o...lene&to=Baghdad

I wonder how much of a part of their lives they want to be.

Edited by 5¢

As we've seen before, Geowoodstock is all about the numbers, and very little about the ethics of obtaining them.

Is it?

We drove a 350 miles round trip to attend. Stopped off in Waco and did one cache on the way. Claimed the smiley for the event and went home. Arrived back just after midnight with a total smiley count of two for the day.

What we did was attend an event with a huge number of geocachers that we had never met. Made friends with lots of them and had a great time. GW4 was all about what you wanted to make of it.

Didn't get to meet Mopar though which was a shame. He must have spent the day on his high horse. :laughing:

Alex (&Amy)

User's Profile:

How cynical, to use our troops as an excuse to pad numbers.

I really do not get too wound up about much in the Geocaching universe. However, I did develop a very stong opinion about THIS CACHE, and have included my note below. I am not looking for validation or to be told I am stupid for my opinion. Rather, I am curious as to others' opinions about a situation such as this.

NOTE LEFT ON GEOCACHE PAGE:

"I do not get offended by much in Geocaching, since I believe Geocaching is for the Geocachers, and that rules should be minimal.

However, the rules are simple. Find a cache. Sign Log. If you take something, then leave something.

I find it hugely disrespectful and an insult to Iraq geoachers to have a cache clearly not found logged so many times. I gather from the logs that the "cache" was used at GW4, apparently.

Sometimes, a find is not just a smiley. Sometimes, to some of us, there are certain caches we are quite proud to have on our list, and obviously went through great pains to log certain caches. We develop comraderie also with those that have found the cache.

Perhaps I am way out of line. Yet the fact remains, I am offended by the logged finds on 27 MAY 06."

No, you are not overboard. I'm only surprised you were able to be tactful, I would not have been. :) Cheating is cheating, and those who say it’s a victimless crime only believe it because they don’t have the integrity to admit it’s wrong. The camel’s nose has been under the tent for a long time now, and no matter how much we scream, nobody in Seattle appears to be listening. :laughing:

GW4 is full of examples like this. Most of us have to play by the rules, and the rules clearly say that traveling caches are not allowed. My bookmark list is full of examples of this manner of cheating. Read the justifications that people have (anonymously) left on the ratings for the bookmark.

It’s just a game.

It doesn’t hurt anyone.

Mind your own business.

You should just cache more.

Everyone who selected Found It from the dropdown list, lied. Sorry if that hurts their delicate feelings, but that’s what it is, a lie. While they may have ‘found’ something, they did not find that cache. To equate the woods in a park in Texas with Iraq is beyond outrageous. You are right to feel offended.

I just don't get it at all. Why duplicate a cache? Do people not read the guidelines for Geocaching? Are the same guidelines not followed or enforced at Geocaching sponsored events? I am sure there are many events that do follow the guidelines and keep to the spirit of Geocaching, but it just baffles me that people find it acceptable for the guidelines to change for events. I never have, and never plan on, attending a large event like GW because of what I have read in the forums.

Pocket caches. Archiving a cache to bring it to an event so you can "get the icon". Mass logging of a single geocoin or travel bug without it ever seeing the inside of a cache or even leaving the possession of the owner. The list keeps going. Most of us have read of all of the variations that have been created for the sole purpose of finding a way to cut corners and boost numbers to an activity that was designed to encourage you to be more active mentally and physicallly.

To answer the OP's question, no I do not think that your opinion is overboard. I think it is shared by many.

I too rarely step up on my soap box, but this is ridiculous...

It seems ironic that people thought to honour the troops while seemingly having very little honour concerning how they log their caches. We (Canada) have troops on active frontline duty in Afghanistan. Like those before me in this thread have noted, a direct note to a supporting website would do much more to honour them and lend support than logging and forcing the archival of a cache some of them might be able to do while on furlough for a day or two. While I am envious of the GW4 event overall, and would love to attend something similar some day, there were several 'events' that happened there that leave me wondering what Geocaching is de-volving into. As for the originator of this thread, (Jeep_Dog), I think you are right on with your opinions. I sincerely hope to meet you 'on the trail' someday (although it probably won't happen, and I think we both agree chatting online in a virtual conversation doesn't constitute a 'find or a meet'), and I sincerely thank your for your higher goal of fighting for freedom. If people really want to do a cache in Iraq or any other strife-ridden (or other) part of our planet, go there.

Wow...really...all I can say is Wow :laughing:

What's really confusing me is, how exactly is logging this cache "supporting the troops"?

Personally, I can't think of anything more disrespectful than this happening on this cache. All of the troops and support people that have risked themselves being over there, and have taken the time to find a geocache to give themselves some fun, have now had this MAJORLY cheapened because of a GW4 duplicate.

Again, I wonder, how could anyone think this is a good thing to log in "support" of the troops???

Celticwulf

While I don't agree with the activity, I think I can understand how it comes about.

Geocaches in different areas of the world have somewhat of a different flavour to them. I recently cached out in Ontario (I'm from Alberta). And there were certainly differences in the way people over there hid their caches (at least the few caches I actually saw) relative to the caches here.

With a big event like GW, you've got people from all over the place visiting one location. What better way to get a feel for how caching happens in other areas than by having the visitors hide a few caches reminicent of their hides at home (heck even bringing a couple of caches for a visit, so that people can see what caches out in Timbuktu look like)

Of course gc.com doesn't allow temporary caches, or vacation caches, so how can this activity be made to work?

Well one way, would be to simply distribute the coordinates of the caches, and tell people to go find them. Only problem, they don't get a smiley for it, which is a big problem for some (with an event like GW, it *is* all about the numbers. So if they are going to get a smiley for the cache, which cache should they get a smiley for? Well there's the rub. They did find a cache. They found the cache the way the owner intended them to find it.

They just didn't find it where the cache page says it is.... So do they get to log a find?

I am quite saddened by the amount of disgruntlement this has caused. I will quote my latest note, because it summarizes somewhat my thoughts of the cache owner and why the logs bother me.

First, I want to get something off my chest. I invite people to share in my experience. Being offended by folks logging a cache does not equate, in my opinion, to blocking someone from "sharing the experience." I will point out some ways that geocachers around the world have shared in the "lives" of those who cache in Iraq:

1) Sent a box containing pre-made caches and cache maintenance material.

2) Sending along TBs and Geocoins to place in caches.

3) Giving Geocoins to Iraq cachers that are related to their caching names.

4) Sending cachers a package with all sorts of thoughtful goodies.

5) Sending along an email saying "hey, thanks. I appreciate what you do, and am glad you can cache there."

And, sometimes, the simplist things make a difference:

6) Watching all the caches here. Sending a note of encouragement to the new cachers, and thanking the old ones for placing another cache.

7) Thoroughly reading the profliles to send a note or email with meaning.

8) Every so often, and sometimes during holidays, posting notes on the cache pages saying "thanks."

Now, my thoughts on the owner and why a silly thing as logging the cache bother me...

"First, I have met the cache owner. I have been honored to log a cache with him, and watched him drag more bags of trash at a CITO event than anyone I had seen that day. My opinon is that he is thoughtful, conscientious, and cares about the community. There is no doubt in my mind the doppleganer cache was placed with the best of intentions.

There is no logical reason why any of the logging should bother me. It is just a cache, after all. I do not understand why local finder's logs being buried under curt statements such as "Another smiley" should bother me. However, it does, and I was merely pointing this out. I will say it again - there is no logical reason why it should bother me to have to scroll down a flock of logged finds of people who have never been here to read the log of a dear friend who found the cache yet will never return home.

For some reason, I care a great deal about the caches in this area. Most of us here watch them carefully, and look for any sign of change (coins dropped, TBs moved, new cachers to greet, and what your caching friends are up to lately on their hunts). You see, to some folks back in TX, this stupid symbol means nothing more than a smiley icon and credit for a cache found. To some people here, it has much more meaning, and perhaps even helps give meaning to their lives.

Any statements that reflect who you might know, how many tours so and so have done are irrelevant to me (if someone truly cares, they will see in the profiles of cachers here that many have been here, done this... multiple times. Many have some very high awards, but humbly do not boast that, for it means just as much to have the cahe on their record as it does to have a star on their chest). I appreciate the sacrifice of all of our friends and family, but fail to see how that translates into justification for logging this cache.

I did not, nor will I, judge anyone who logs this cache. As such, I do not need any justification as to why anyone would be offended by my being offended. If what I wrote originally causes angst with anyone, I apologize. However, I do not change my opinion on this matter. That is not my character. Either you will understand how logging this cache from TX could cause offense to someone, or you will not understand. I admit the details that bother me can be silly, but exist nonetheless. Either you respect that opinion, or you do not.

Peace out."

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Jeep Dog, thanks for your genuine suggestions, and especially thank you for your service. I think the excuse people are using to log this cache is a joke since many of the same people are also somehow finding caches in FL, MA, TN, CO, CA, WI, and OK while they are visiting Texas for GW4. What's the reason for logging those?

The excuse that it's to show support for the troops when in troop it's to show support for the smiley is even more offensive considering this is Memorial Day weekend here in the US. A time for remembering and giving thanks to those who have fought so hard for freedom.

At least one of the "visiting" caches seems to be in TX without the owner's permission.

This cache in MA has about 20 less logs on it now then it did a few hours ago. Also a nice little note from the cache owner.

Holy cow! Fezziwig sounds flexed. That's an actual, physical cache not far from me (albeit a puzzle cache). It's not temp disabled or missing or anything.

What is going on here?

As usual Mopar is my hero. Keep up the good work! :laughing:

I really enjoy reading about your research. It amazes and amuses me!

Let me know next time you travel out here and I'll hike :( .... well... I'll buy you dinner :) .

I am NOT at GW4.

I am at home.

I will not get to log all those fake, duplicate, pocket, archived, nor sitting on a table caches there.

I will continue to go find some caches around here the old fashioned way... you know.. go find them, and sign the logbook INSIDE the cache.. :)

This is just plain WRONG. Read the logs. The vast majority of them don’t even mention the Soldier’s service they just say thanks for the smiley. If you want to support the troops go to your nearest Military base or National Guard armory and ask the Public Affairs Officer (PAO) how to send a care package to someone serving. Better yet go to your nearest recruiting office and join up, if you are to old enlist one or more of your children. If each person placing hands on this duplicate cache at GW4 and instead of claiming a smiley had posted a note that would have been thinking of others, what they did was just pad their numbers.

It is time for the PTB to go into the database and delete all the pocket caches finds from GW3 and GW4. While they are at it they can audit all events and any duplicate logs from events and delete them.

I can not count the number of people I personally know who have been to the sandbox and let’s not forget Afghanistan. Nor can I count the number of packages to those people I’ve sent. I can count that this is my nephew’s third tour in Baghdad and my thirty third year wearing the uniform of the United States Army.

That was not right to post a private message on the public forums. You didn't need to tell us who sent you that email, either.

You kidding? Somebody sends me a message calling me an a-hole, and I'm taking out a billboard. With name, address and IP, if I can get it.

Well, I'm reserving the right to do those things, anyhow. I mean, it's not like it's never happened. Seriously, you can have no expectation that a nastygram will stay private. If you don't want a message like that revealed in public, don't send it.

What's wrong, anyhow? You didn't get to go to GeoWoodstock, so you're in a bad mood this weekend?

Too bad.

It seems the words honesty and integrity are not in your vocabulary. And service in uniform to your country must not be something you have experienced. So all the explanations that could be made would not be understood.

What's wrong, anyhow? You didn't get to go to GeoWoodstock, so you're in a bad mood this weekend?

Too bad.

It seems the words honesty and integrity are not in your vocabulary. And service in uniform to your country must not be something you have experienced. So all the explanations that could be made would not be understood.

You are not one to EVER question my honesty and integrity, that's a guarantee.

Too bad.

You are not one to EVER question my honesty and integrity, that's a guarantee.

I'm thinking you're having a "step away from the keyboard and take ten deep breaths" moment.

I know this, because my every weasel instinct is telling me to start teasing you really hard. That usually means I've caught the faint, approaching whiff of meltdown.

So someone had the idea for people at GW4 to sign a log book and then write found it logs on a cache in Iraq so that they could write something in support of the troops. When a soldier looks at the page (or, I guess eventually, when they find the cache in Iraq and see the logs from GW4) they will know that there are geocachers that support them. What were they thinking? Didn't they realize that to the puritans the smiley face is a symbol of actually finding the cache? The numbers are what's important and there is no justification to abuse the smiley. Supporting our troops does not justify cheating. All those smileys from Texas has cheapened the value of the smiley face for the soldier who actually found this cache in Iraq. Now their smiley won't be worth as many cigarettes or beers :laughing:

It could have been done better by asking people to sign a log book that would later be put into the cache in Iraq, and post NOTES (instead of FINDS) on the cache page. But on the the other hand, I continue to fail to see the harm done to anyone by a few found logs on this cache.

It could have been done better by asking people to sign a log book that would later be put into the cache in Iraq, and post NOTES (instead of FINDS) on the cache page. But on the the other hand, I continue to fail to see the harm done to anyone by a few found logs on this cache.

If it were only that cache, with clearly that motive, I don't think there would be much of a fuss. It's something bigger and weirder, which I haven't quite figured out yet.

Why did a random puzzle cache in Massachusetts called "Curiosity Killed the Cat" get twenty logs?

It seems to me that all those bogus finds should be deleted. Maybe on of the reviewers can take car of that if the cache owner does not have the eggs to do it. They were bogus and should be treated as such.

WHile I did not go to geowoodstock IV, from what I have read it appers the geowoodstock has become a way to circumvent the rules. Here we a a cache brought several thousands miles so people could log bogus finds, I we also had a so called world record set for find in 24 hours, from what I have read in the forums this is also a bogus record.

As far as the e-mail that was sent to Mopar, I glad I got to read it and thanks fopr post ing it. Maybe we should all e-mail the cachers that logged the bogus find and sugest they delete them.

If it were only that cache, with clearly that motive, I don't think there would be much of a fuss. It's something bigger and weirder, which I haven't quite figured out yet.

Why did a random puzzle cache in Massachusetts called "Curiosity Killed the Cat" get twenty logs?

I think someone gave out the wrong GC number... how embarrasing.. :laughing:

I'd like to know what the cache owner was thinking. It is know you must archive the cache FIRST. Then it becomes one of those under the radar things and the cache owner can then do anything they want. An archived cache is beyond the rules.

As far as the comment about honoring the troops or whatever that is total BS! I have been to Iraq and will no doubt be going back. Tell yourself whatever lies you want to make yourself feel better but you don't have to voice them to anyone. You deserve all the criticism you get and you should think about why your are getting it. If you want to find an active cache in Iraq and you are 16-40yo go to a recruiting station. If really you want to show your support for the troops, let me give you little hint. It doesn't involve increasing your cache find count.

I found this log on the cache in question particularly ironic.

And that's they way almost every log posted is like.

"Got this at GW4"

"Another smiley for TEAM ***"

"TFTC,SL Was nice thanks"

"Found while at GeoWoodstock. TFTC!"

"Thanks for the smiley at GW4"

I would lean toward tozainamboku's line of thinking if the logs had been full of support for our troops on Memorial Day, or if the same people hadn't posted the same logs on caches in 5-6 other US states at the same time. I seem to remember when the first cache showed up in Afghanistan lots of people posted to it in support. Some notes, some finds, but it was genuine heartfelt support for our troops.

Most of the logs to the cache in the OP are in support of the almighty smiley, and some even come right out and say so.

I think someone gave out the wrong GC number... how embarrasing.. :laughing:

And now we begin to see some of the "harm" this logging has done...a cache owner having nothing to do with GW4 has now had to work on changing his cache page, deleting logs, and being extreamly frustrated by this situation.

I still don't understand what people are thinking by logging these caches. I mean, by just BEING at GW4 you're not only meeting a ton of new cachers from all over, but they've just created a NEW icon just for them. Those that aren't at the event don't get to get that icon...how does having a smiley for a cache that isn't really located at the event a "bonus"???

In reality, I truely understand Jeep_Dog's sentiments on this one. There are some caches I've done locally that I would be extreamly frustrated to find out that, after the work I went through to find the cache in it's real location, that others were getting smileys for it in some other location. Really, just think about cache's you've done that took you on great adventures or were really frustrating to try to find and then great after finding them. The caches that you have stories about, the ones you truely remember. It's true your memory doesn't change if people fake finds...but doesn't it cheapen it some? You run into a cacher and go into a story about the hide and they say "oh yeah, I logged that one as a temp at an event...got a smiley"...

Blah...I should stop reading this and go out and find REAL caches...at least I respect my numbers and the others in my area I'm "competing" with...and I can look at others and see how much I respect their numbers in the future. In reality, I respect Jeep Dog's numbers the most right now :)

Celticwulf

If logging an Iraqi cache is showing support, because you wanted to write a nice note to the soliders, then do that on the cache page. WRITE A NOTE!!!!!!!!!!

And I agree with the other posters that this is such a tiny display of support anyway. Send a care package.