Archived Caches

That happens when you disable the cache first. Lots of times a cache will be temporarily disabled while the cacher decides whether to replace/repair it and then gets archived when it has been disabled too long.

Nope. He's right, I archived a cache and the page also says "temporarily unavailable", which it never was.

Deep Hollow Cache

I just checked my only Archived cache and that wording is on its page also. :laughing:

I think this should be brought up in the Web Site Forum.

Really, this needs to be fixed. It SHOULD say:

This cache has been archived and is now available to be logged as a find at events across the country.

I just checked my only Archived cache and that wording is on its page also. :laughing:

I think this should be brought up in the Web Site Forum.

Really, this needs to be fixed. It SHOULD say:

This cache has been archived and is now available to be logged as a find at events across the country.

GC might as well since that is what they allow to happen with them. Be interesting to see if there is a response from TPTB on the issue next week.

...Really, this needs to be fixed. It SHOULD say:

For a brief and tiny OT tangent related to the "This cache has been archived and is now available to be logged as a find at events across the country" comment....", it now seems that it is not only archived caches which folks are logging from a distance. I learned last nite that at least one attendee at GW4 logged "remote" finds on an event and a cache up here in Maryland (while they were in Texas) in order to boost their find count. Apparently, attendees at that event have been logging "remote" finds for caches all over the USA and all over the world. Very odd!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

When you archive a cache, why does it say that it's temporarily unavailable AND that it's archived?

What sense would it make if the cache was archived but still available?

Honestly I don't know why it does that (now???).

I've heard that if a cache was archived without ever having been disabled that GSAK wouldn't flag the cache as archived... but since also thought that keeping offline databases were discouraged I doubt that its related.

Not a Reviewer, so this is a geocacher's answer:

Archived caches, like deleted logs, don't 'go away', they're just... archived.

When a cache is archived that location immediately becomes available for someone else to place a cache there.

If, however, a cache is archived, say the owner drops out but returns a year later to the game, it can be unarchived if no one has placed a cache within 528' of it.

Genaerally, I think it's acceptable to log an archived cache if you actually found it while it was listed but for some reason didn't log it online until after it was archived.

Also, many archived caches are not picked up by their owner - if you find it, you should be able to log it, even if the listing is archived.