Wap Log Allowed Before Cache Reviewed?

sTeamTraen

Attending an event today, I logged a cache via WAP (GCW4PJ). My log was accepted and appears on my profilr ("You found ...").

Because it was just a short WAP log, I wanted to edit it just now, but I got "Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published."

That's OK - the reviewer was at the event and confirmed that he hadn't published tha cache yet - but how come I was able to log it?

"unpublished (but approved) caches" :( No such thing.

Certainly there are!

This happens when you are holding an event and you have some caches (real GC caches). You write them up and in the reviewer's note ask they they not be published until after a certain date/time.

These caches cannot be seen in the normal site but are seen in the WAP site.

Paul

Dang - I wish I'd known that! I just posted a 13-cache series and would have much preferred to have the reviewer wait to publish the series until all had been approved because:

1. Now I'm running back out and moving caches around that are too near waypoints or puzzle-/multi-cache finals.

2. I knew the reviewer probably wouldn't do all of them in one sitting and the final 13th in the series can't be located without the other 12. The ideal situation would have been to publish all 13 simultaneously.

"unpublished (but approved) caches" :laughing: No such thing.

Certainly there are!

This happens when you are holding an event and you have some caches (real GC caches). You write them up and in the reviewer's note ask they they not be published until after a certain date/time.

These caches cannot be seen in the normal site but are seen in the WAP site.

Paul

No, that's just an unpublished event. There's no difference between an event that being left on the queue until a certain date, to one that the reviewer hasn't gotten around to reviewing yet.

Edited by Prime Suspect
No, that's just an unpublished event. There's no difference between an event that being left on the queue until a certain date, to one that the reviewer hasn't gotten around to reviewing yet.
No. I'm talking about honest to gosh caches that are being held to be released at a certain time (typically for an event)

Try this, go to http://www.geocaching.com/wap and do a search on my zip code, 03104.

The 6th cache down, Dark Satanic Mills Multi is not yet published but it is most certainly approved. Based on the information on the wap page, it is possible with a moderate amount of effort to discover the coordinates of the cache. This won't help since that cache is a multi, but scroll down to the 5mi marker and you'll find the Gallic Rose, a traditional that is also on hold.

This bug should be closed.

Paul

Approved=Published

Don't think that there are 2 separate processes there. Not like the reviewers check an approved box and then later check a published box. I think they just held off Aprroving the publishing of it due to owner request.

(I could be wrong)

Don't think that there are 2 separate processes there. Not like the reviewers check an approved box and then later check a published box. I think they just held off Aprroving the publishing of it due to owner request.
I am the owner of Gallic Rose and yes, it is delayed at my request.

When does it appear in the WAP list then? I'm pretty sure it does'nt appear when I submit it, does it? If so, the bug is even worse than I thought.

Paul

Edited by NotThePainter

A cache page is either published or not yet published. The system doesn't distinguish between unpublished caches that have been reviewed, and will be listed five days from now at the owner's request, vs. unpublished caches that are just sitting there waiting to be reviewed because the volunteer was busy. They all sit in the same big bucket, waiting.

A cache page is either published or not yet published. The system doesn't distinguish between unpublished caches that have been reviewed, and will be listed five days from now at the owner's request, vs. unpublished caches that are just sitting there waiting to be reviewed because the volunteer was busy. They all sit in the same big bucket, waiting.

Thanks! I certainly don't mind being corrected.

So I'll rephrase my bug report then.

Caches that are not yet approved can be seen in the WAP interface. Their coordinates can be determined and the caches can be found.

Paul

I am the owner of Gallic Rose and yes, it is delayed at my request.

When does it appear in the WAP list then? I'm pretty sure it does'nt appear when I submit it, does it? If so, the bug is even worse than I thought.

Paul

Ouch...your example looks like it has exposed a bug

I can see the name. The "HOLD" was just added to the title by the reviewer as a reminder. But when I click on it, nothing happens. I can't see any coordinates or a description.

No you can't. But there is a way to refine your search to obtain the coordinates. I'd rather not go into that in the forums.

Paul

1. Note that your link is to the "old" WAP site, not wap.geocaching.com.

2. It's a known bug in the system.

Sweet. The bug is closed in the new site.

If the old site were just redirected to the new one, the bug would be closed. This is great, we're halfway there!

Paul