Where Did The Google Maps Go?

A couple of days ago the Google Maps feature used to exist. This was the one on the cache pages, and when you clicked on it, it showed you all of the Geocaches in the current view.

I personally found this feature very useful, but when I logged on yesterday and viewed a cache, the google maps where on longer on the page?

Has this feature been moved? or removed completely?

thanx,

harrisale

A couple of days ago the Google Maps feature used to exist. This was the one on the cache pages, and when you clicked on it, it showed you all of the Geocaches in the current view.

I personally found this feature very useful, but when I logged on yesterday and viewed a cache, the google maps where on longer on the page?

thanx,

harrisale

It's temporarily turned off until it can be made optional, for those who don't want to or can't use it.

The Google maps feature still exists, just not directly on the cache info page anymore. To access it from the cache info page, click on the "view map" link towards the top of the page under the download waypoint options.

When the GeoMicro map page opens, there should be a link to "View results in Google Maps beta" up near the top. Click that lick and you'll be back where you were a few days ago with the scrollable Google Maps and up to 20 random caches in the area showing.

Mark

thanx,

harrisale

if you go to google and get google earth (do a serch on google for 'google earth') and install it. its free. then goto your "my Account" page on this tGC.com site and you can download a plugin to show you the caches on the map.

I have used google earth for a while to find caches and i really like it. the only propblem would be if you dont have a broadband connection you cant use it.

Also Geocaching.com limits the number of downloads you get can get day per account on Google Earth. If you notice on the left of Google Earth, it say something like a "180 left for the day..." or something like that. As you move around Google Earth & it updates the screen with more downloads that number goes down.

if you go to google and get google earth (do a serch on google for 'google earth') and install it. its free. then goto your "my Account" page on this tGC.com site and you can download a plugin to show you the caches on the map.

I have used google earth for a while to find caches and i really like it. the only propblem would be if you dont have a broadband connection you cant use it.

As much as I understand that the Blackberry using folks like that the map function isn't part of the cache main page any more... Please understand that there are people out there, like my mother, who are entering the sport and are incredibly limited in their computer functionality. I seriously doubt if she will be able to go and find the magic way to see the google maps at each and every cache, and I think that will not only increase her frustration with the computer but also deter her from geocaching at all. I would hope that the powers that be will take this into consideration and make it an option that can be set at the user acount details page and leave it as standard for the people who don't have blackberries. That, or make it a wee bit easier to change map styles... like putting a button next to the actual map, so that people like my mom can actually find it.

The other issue is in cache planning. I'm in the process of putting out a cache and have found it incredibly useful to use the google maps to determine areas that are not over run with caches. I hope that Groundspeak doesn't do away with the map function entirely... and yes, I know that I can use the google earth... but not everyone has broad band...

I'm glad I can still access the maps, but please oh please, bring it back the way it was!

There was negative community feedback to the new Google maps. In response, Raine announced in this post that he was temporarily rolling back the new feature. Many of the questions in this thread are addressed in the other one, and much of the feedback in this thread would have more impact if posted over in the Geocaching.com website forum, where Raine is more likely to see it.

So, I am closing this topic as a duplicate.