Ugh - Html Accepted In Bookmark Lists !

vds

As I suspect is present everywhere, we have a number of FTF wolves around here who gloat. I know it's inherently harmless, and that it's fun for them to needle their geocaching pals they try to beat for the FTFs, but it really gets rather annoying after a while.

Most recently, I've seen an alarming trend where they're embedding html codes in the title of their bookmark lists, so that a picture broadcasting their gloating, including (ugh) even animated gifs, appears when you view a cache page they've bookmarked.

Here are a couple examples:

I'd "really" like to suggest that the bookmark display on cache pages be altered to 'not' interpret any html or other encoding, and that there be support for only a simple enough web link.

Alternately (or additionally), I'd like to suggest that in our profiles we have the ability to define whether we want to see bookmarks others have set or not. In many cases they just create visual clutter. I can see where it's value-add to some folks, personally I'd like to be able to control my viewing experience to reduce the visual clutter.

All these new features are nice to have, but it is equally nice to be able to choose to not see them.

Uhg is right. If I started noticing that nonsense I would start by adding the images (or in the case of the OP's first example; the entire domain) to my firewall's blacklist.

If I was really annoyed I would probably add any hides by those people to my ignore filter as well, since the type of person to impose annoying images on someone else's cache page is probably 10 times worse when it comes to their own caches.

I dunno. I found that quite beautiful and elegant. Now, sorry to post and run, but I have an appointment with a blender & my hand. Gosh, that's fun too! Mebbe we can add music, too.

I don't mind seing HTML on the actual bookmark master page, but not inserted into other peoples cache pages. That really is annoying - almost as bad as 'signing' the cache container rather than logbook. I don't want someone else 'editing' my page in that matter. Text - fine. Graphics? Errr, not fine. Annoying flashy pictures distracting from my literary mush-terpiece? Nuh Uh, oh no you DIN'T! *finger wag*

Edited by New England n00b

C'mon Jeremy. Put a stop to this nonsense now please! That carp is just plain rude and obnoxious.

DITTO!!!

Not only this kind of abuse is going on either. Some people have taken it upon themselves to be cache police and tag cache pages they have a bug up their &*!t about with mean spirited bookmarks. As a cache owner we should be given the right to have these BS bookmarks removed from our pages with as little effort as clicking a button. Come on people a little help in this matter BEFORE it gets worse.

Edited by Lostby7

C'mon Jeremy. Put a stop to this nonsense now please! That carp is just plain rude and obnoxious.

DITTO!!!

Not only this kind of abuse is going on either. Some people have taken it upon themselves to be cache police and tag cache pages they have a bug up their &*!t about with mean spirited bookmarks. As a cache owner we should be given the right to have these BS bookmarks removed from our pages with as little effort as clicking a button. Come on people a little help in this matter BEFORE it gets worse.

That last part is a whole 'nother issue. If you feel a bookmark is abusive, report it to contact at Groundspeak dot com address.

EDIT: Starting a new thread for this subject. Split off thread

Edited by New England n00b

As I suspect is present everywhere, we have a number of FTF wolves around here who gloat. I know it's inherently harmless, and that it's fun for them to needle their geocaching pals they try to beat for the FTFs, but it really gets rather annoying after a while.

Most recently, I've seen an alarming trend where they're embedding html codes in the title of their bookmark lists, so that a picture broadcasting their gloating, including (ugh) even animated gifs, appears when you view a cache page they've bookmarked.

Here are a couple examples:

I'd "really" like to suggest that the bookmark display on cache pages be altered to 'not' interpret any html or other encoding, and that there be support for only a simple enough web link.

Alternately (or additionally), I'd like to suggest that in our profiles we have the ability to define whether we want to see bookmarks others have set or not. In many cases they just create visual clutter. I can see where it's value-add to some folks, personally I'd like to be able to control my viewing experience to reduce the visual clutter.

All these new features are nice to have, but it is equally nice to be able to choose to not see them.

Awww... I am not an FTF hound, nor a numbers freak, but even so, I thought those examples of images embedded in HTML were kinda cute! :laughing:

I know what you mean... Last week, I met a Koi (an ornamental variety of carp) who was very rude and obnoxious. However, I do not think that Jeremy has any jurisdiction over any kinds of carp, including goldfish and Koi, and so I doubt that he can intervene, unless he has powers of which I am unaware. :laughing:

I think that for the most part the lists are made by people who like the caches they take the time to choose to put ON their lists. That FTF guy is kind of cute, but that may NOT be the only image that shows up, and this is a family activity for many. That being said I dislike it for several reasons:

1. For one thing, those lists screw up the format of my page, narrowing the available space for the text and image(s) I have on the pages, although viewing the page in different resolutions also does that, I know. BUT at least on my screen, where I work to make the page presentable, it is annoying.

2. Secondly, IF a person has an issue (negative) with a cache of mine, email me and let me know through my account, and if it is possible, I'll address the issue and fix it. If someone says the cache is in a 'trashy' spot, but I subsequently clean it up some time, that person will never know it since they are unlikely to return to a cache they've done. However, all subsequent cachers that view the page MIGHT be turned away from my cache even though the negative feature is there no longer. I shouldn't have to waste time emailing that lister about the fix.

3. Someone else felt those lists were like "Tattoos" placed on their property (webpage) without their permission. I don't need to start a history class to remind the world of how certain tattoos were placed on people themselves without their permission, and how utterly offensive that was.

4. Why not have a simple 'star' rating system on the page somewhere (other than the diff/terr section) that each person could click while logging the find? That could rate the cache, and if 50 finders make it a 5 of 5, that would say plenty, and probably be very unobtrusive.

5. OR keep the list option, but have a link on the main page to another page that hosts those lists. Then they are available, but not 'in your face' on the main cache page.

3. Someone else felt those lists were like "Tattoos" placed on their property (webpage) without their permission. I don't need to start a history class to remind the world of how certain tattoos were placed on people themselves without their permission, and how utterly offensive that was.

I find it offensive that someone including my cache in his bookmark list without my permission can be compared in any way to the Holocaust.

Godwin's Law

Yes, xackly (sic)! I was thinking the same thing! And the analogy was rather ridiculous, in this case.

It was a ridiculous comparison since it was an extreme event (The Holocaust). It was not my intent to belittle the human savagery bestowed upon people in the Holocaust. It WAS my intent to show the callousness with which some people deal with other's 'property' and feelings without any concern for the same. I apologize without qualification, but cannot withdraw the statement since it is already out there.

I still am of the opinion that we need a better way of gathering user input into any changes that are to be implemented in the future. I guess I should have made reference to Sammy Kershaw's song instead:

Sammy Kershaw - Your Tattoo

I got you under my skin a long time ago:

Just a little tattoo to let the world know

That there'd never be no one for me but you.

But you turned out to be a bad heartache,

And I found someone to take your place.

Now, what am I gonna do with your tattoo?

Well, it won't wash off or fade away,

And I'm stuck with you till my dying day.

It's just a picture of a girl in her birthday suit,

With her cowboy hat and her cowboy boots.

I can go to the man, and have him erase,

Or have him put a moustache on your face.

When my baby sees you, she starts to cry.

When I tell her I love her, she says it's a lie,

'Cause she thinks you're the one that I'm dreamin' of.

Then she gets mad at me and pounds on you

Until my arm turns black and blue.

It won't leave me like you did.

Then again, maybe some anti-country music cacher would have been offended and quoted some law stating the likelyhood of someone inserting references to same.

Cool! In five months of caching, I have gone from nobody to super-nazi FTF hound! :(

Some of these forum responses seem just a tad over-the-top.

Can't we be a community that polices ourselves rather than begging Jeremy for new rules everytime we see something that annoys us? VDS: Do you have a lot of problems with this on your cache pages or is this something that bothers you to see on somebody elses pages? Has anybody refused to change something on on of your own pages? I think your request for the new site feature restriction would carry more weight if this is something that is hampering your own cache pages.

I suppose that I am one of the Nazi HTML tattoo abusers. I had zippo-nil-nada-idea that what I was doing was causing anybody any harm whatsoever. How come? I guess nobody ever let me know and I was too busy goose-stepping my way to new caches to realize on my own.

What is far more dangerous to the game to me is people who become WAY TOO serious about all things geo-caching related. I'll go ahead and change my bookmark list. All someone would have had to do is send me an email and say "Hey, some people might not like that".

I guess I should go. I need to kick some puppies, push down some old ladies and forcibly tattoo strangers on my way to my next FTF. My next FTF log shall read... "FTF! Sieg Heil!" :rolleyes:

Get out there and have fun people. Isn't that what the game is about? I suggest if somebody does something that offends, or even annoys you, that you (gasp) let them know in a personal and civil way. I would suspect that in almost every case, the issue could be resolved in that way.

Edit: I just want to mention that I have met VDS out on the trail looking for a cache before and he seems like a nice guy so I'm not criticizing him personally, I just really do think it is a better idea to contact folks that are doing things that annoy you personally rather than asking for further rules to be imposed on the site.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

I had zippo-nil-nada-idea that what I was doing was causing anybody any harm whatsoever. How come? I guess nobody ever let me know and I was too busy goose-stepping my way to new caches to realize on my own.

While I agree that the cache page "tattooing" is obnoxious, I'd have to side with BPR on this. I find it even more obnoxious when people immediately air their personal beefs out in the open rather than try to settle it between themselves with emails or PMs.

And comparing this to the Holocaust? Someone already provided the link for Godwin's Law. :rolleyes:

I had zippo-nil-nada-idea that what I was doing was causing anybody any harm whatsoever. How come? I guess nobody ever let me know and I was too busy goose-stepping my way to new caches to realize on my own.

While I agree that the cache page "tattooing" is obnoxious, I'd have to side with BPR on this. I find it even more obnoxious when people immediately air their personal beefs out in the open rather than try to settle it between themselves with emails or PMs.

And comparing this to the Holocaust? Someone already provided the link for Godwin's Law. :(

IF you had taken the time to read the follow-up I posted you would have noted that I acknowledge it was an unfortunate analogy. I guess once someone makes an error, anything else they say is also without merit in the eyes of those who make no mistakes in life.

That doesn't detract from the fact that those lists could be available through a less obtrusive manner, such as having one small clickable link that takes you to a page showing those lists instead. I would then have the option to view them if I wanted. If you have a wonderful cache placed and every person who does it or wants to do it adds it to their list, the page-loading/server access problem we already experience will be even more aggravated. A separate link will only slow you down if you actually click it. As for airing personal beefs out in the open, I have no idea where that comment comes from. This IS a discussion forum, I think, so obviously it is a place to voice opinions. Dare I say anything about democracies??? Or is that another subliminal reference to :rolleyes: Godwin's Law :( ?!

Seconded!! As if "Joe Schmuck's FTF list" being displayed on a cache page isn't obnoxious enough (who on earth could possibly care besides them?), I'm just at a loss for words for this crap.

And comparing this to the Holocaust? Someone already provided the link for Godwin's Law. :rolleyes:

IF you had taken the time to read the follow-up I posted you would have noted that I acknowledge it was an unfortunate analogy. I guess once someone makes an error, anything else they say is also without merit in the eyes of those who make no mistakes in life.

Huh? :P

That doesn't detract from the fact that those lists could be available through a less obtrusive manner, such as having one small clickable link that takes you to a page showing those lists instead. I would then have the option to view them if I wanted. If you have a wonderful cache placed and every person who does it or wants to do it adds it to their list, the page-loading/server access problem we already experience will be even more aggravated. A separate link will only slow you down if you actually click it.

Either way, when the page loads, the database must be checked to see if there are any associated bookmarks for this cache. Since it needs to be looked up anyway, there's no additional performance hit to just display the names.

I completely agree though that HTML shouldn't be parsed when used as the name of anything on the site. I've seen travel bugs using HTML in their names so they show up as pictures in the travel bug box on cache pages as well.

As for airing personal beefs out in the open, I have no idea where that comment comes from. This IS a discussion forum, I think, so obviously it is a place to voice opinions. Dare I say anything about democracies??? Or is that another subliminal reference to :( Godwin's Law :( ?!

No... It's just the practice of having a problem with a single person, whether it be another cacher, a reviewer, whomever, and instead of sending them a message regarding your concern, airing it out in the forums for all to see. Since the person in question doesn't necessarily read the forums (and really, only a small percentage of the total geocaching community does) it's sort of the electronic equivelent of talking behind someone's back.

And this is an internet forum. It's not a democracy, but a benevolent dictatorship... :)

1. Why do people take this game that seriously?

I don't think most people care so much about others crowing about FtFs. That's not really the point here. The problem is the HTML parsing thing. I've been on the Internet for a long time and I've seen how things like this evolve.

Yesterday it was "My favorite caches"

Today it's animated GIFs and bookmark lists of "caches that suck"

Tomorrow it's bookmark lists of caches that suck with 1024x768 JPEGs of something annoying that completely obliterates the cache page. I haven't seen that yet, but I guarantee the eventually, someone will do it.

who on earth could possibly care besides them?

I don't know. Maybe the same people that care about Urkel's big list O' favorite caches which you yourself say is not meant to be useful to anyone but is used by you as a personal blog of you favorite searches. :rolleyes:

-Joe Schmuck

Personal attack edited by user! (Although it's quoted elsewhere in the thread).

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

who on earth could possibly care besides them?

I don't know. Maybe the same people that care about Urkel's big list O' favorite caches which you yourself say is not meant to be useful to anyone but is used by you as a personal blog of you favorite searches. :rolleyes:

-Joe Schmuck

Oh sure, rather than defend your actions, you waste time investigating me. Enjoy the countless hours I know you'll spend reading my logs. Glad I could make you dance. :( Lesse, Goodwins law invoked on your first response, and you've obviously proven yourself an obnoxious little smart-aleck, so the OP was 100% correct in bringing this to the forums. Enjoy your little animated gifs graphics on cache pages for the day or two longer they'll last.

Just pointing out that he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw bricks.

Can you please point out where I invoked Goodwin's law or ever used an animated gif? Looks like investigation probably isn't something you practice personally.

What actions exactly do I have to defend? Somebody pointed out something I did that they found annoying and so I stopped.

Please can we refrain from name calling?

Edit: I want to point out again that I have no beef with VDS. I have met him personally and have enjoyed a nice conversation with him. It is possible to disagree with somebody without hating them.

Just pointing out that he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw bricks.

Can you please point out where I invoked Goodwin's law or ever used an animated gif? Looks like investigation probably isn't something you practice personally.

What actions exactly do I have to defend? Somebody pointed out something I did that they found annoying and so I stopped.

Please can we refrain from name calling?

Edit: I want to point out again that I have no beef with VDS. I have met him personally and have enjoyed a nice conversation with him. It is possible to disagree with somebody without hating them.

Well, you're probably right on the glass house thing. But I consider a favorite caches list sort of a "recommended list", and many cache owners should be happy to see someone enjoys their cache so much. An FTF bookmark list is just plain gloating. And "example A", still up as of the time I type this, is obnoxious in your face gloating.

Goodwin's law was innoked upon you, you didn't invoke it. Nazi Analogies of course.

Yes, I see no animated .gifs by you, and whatever pic you did have is gone.

I did resort to name calling, for which I apologize. Even your Nazi references were clevery worded so as to not call anyone such. As a matter of fact you sort of referred to yourself as one :rolleyes:

Even as an owner of two bookmark lists, I really am sort of coming around to the much talked about idea of cache owners being able to block any and all from view.

That doesn't detract from the fact that those lists could be available through a less obtrusive manner, such as having one small clickable link that takes you to a page showing those lists instead. I would then have the option to view them if I wanted. If you have a wonderful cache placed and every person who does it or wants to do it adds it to their list, the page-loading/server access problem we already experience will be even more aggravated. A separate link will only slow you down if you actually click it.

Either way, when the page loads, the database must be checked to see if there are any associated bookmarks for this cache. Since it needs to be looked up anyway, there's no additional performance hit to just display the names.

Actually, I indicated that there should be a small linked option to the page with the actual lists, so there would be a definite performance hit as the page does NOT need to load until you click it, as with the list of maps, and other options on the main cache page.

As for airing personal beefs out in the open, I have no idea where that comment comes from. This IS a discussion forum, I think, so obviously it is a place to voice opinions. Dare I say anything about democracies??? Or is that another subliminal reference to :rolleyes: Godwin's Law :( ?!

No... It's just the practice of having a problem with a single person, whether it be another cacher, a reviewer, whomever, and instead of sending them a message regarding your concern, airing it out in the forums for all to see. Since the person in question doesn't necessarily read the forums (and really, only a small percentage of the total geocaching community does) it's sort of the electronic equivelent of talking behind someone's back.

And this is an internet forum. It's not a democracy, but a benevolent dictatorship... :(

I don't have a problem with anyone. I was just presenting my side in what I thought was an open forum, not a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise. If a person posts in here, I would think they can also return to view any subsequent posts in reply to what they said, as I am now doing with your post. I guess you think I was condemning the people who post those lists. I was actually disagreeing with the practice, not the person. Sorry if that was not clearly represented in my originnal post. Thank goodness I have the opportunity to 'air out' any confusion. I should have listened to my wonderful wife and companion geocacher and not entered into this discussion in the first place I guess. As someone else above noted, I'd really rather be caching anyway.

An FTF bookmark list is just plain gloating. And "example A", still up as of the time I type this, is obnoxious in your face gloating.

I respectfully disagree. I don't know if FTFs are competitive in your neck of the woods but there are places in the greater Seattle area where they are very tough to grab.

Going for a FTF is kind of a side game that many of us participate in (and that I have only "won" nine times in many many attempts.) If example A beats me to a FTF and I see he has bookmarked it as such, does that mean that my feelings are hurt by his "gloating"? No! Kudos to him for doing whatever it took to beat me to one - I'll try harder the next time.

Do I on occasion find it fun to look at somebody else's FTF bookmarks? Absolutely if you play that game, the bookmarks can be very fun to browse! How many people does a bookmark list have to appeal to before it becomes worthy of inclusion?

If one of my caches is included in such a list, I welcome the additional exposure that my listing gets.

I believe that what VDS was going for in initiating this topic was not to attack us FTF hounds but instead to discuss potentials for abuse of including HTML code in Bookmark lists - a practice that I also don't find harmful presently but can see the potential for abuse.

Lets not get too territorial with "our" cache pages - lets all take a deep breath - we do this for fun and relaxation right?

I'm interested if somebody could please share an experience where HTML in a bookmark list was harmful to one of their own pages (not one you saw or a "friend's" page or theoretical future abuse) in some way. I think it would help get this discussion back on topic and it would provide relevant insight to hear how somebody had difficulty dealing with this personally.

This is awful. I'll have this fixed. Thanks.

DITTO!!!

I agree that the animated thingie should go. But I couldn't disagree more about the bookmarks that you are calling BS. I think it is a great way for cachers to let others know when they really like a cache or have a problem with a cache owner. For example those cache owners that delete any log or find that offers even the slightest criticism for their hide.

I think that for the most part the lists are made by people who like the caches they take the time to choose to put ON their lists. That FTF guy is kind of cute, but that may NOT be the only image that shows up, and this is a family activity for many. That being said I dislike it for several reasons:

1. For one thing, those lists screw up the format of my page, narrowing the available space for the text and image(s) I have on the pages, although viewing the page in different resolutions also does that, I know. BUT at least on my screen, where I work to make the page presentable, it is annoying.

2. Secondly, IF a person has an issue (negative) with a cache of mine, email me and let me know through my account, and if it is possible, I'll address the issue and fix it. If someone says the cache is in a 'trashy' spot, but I subsequently clean it up some time, that person will never know it since they are unlikely to return to a cache they've done. However, all subsequent cachers that view the page MIGHT be turned away from my cache even though the negative feature is there no longer. I shouldn't have to waste time emailing that lister about the fix.

4. Why not have a simple 'star' rating system on the page somewhere (other than the diff/terr section) that each person could click while logging the find? That could rate the cache, and if 50 finders make it a 5 of 5, that would say plenty, and probably be very unobtrusive.

5. OR keep the list option, but have a link on the main page to another page that hosts those lists. Then they are available, but not 'in your face' on the main cache page.

But I like them in your face on the main page. I'd rather not have to click on a separate link. Just my opinion/vote.

One more comment then I'll leave this alone. How can it possibly affect your page formatting? It is in the same column as “Navigation”, “Attributes”, and “Inventory”. Are you going to advocate for removing them next? Or ask people not to log any bugs into your cache since it will increase the size of the “Inventory” and miss up your page formatting?

One more comment then I'll leave this alone. How can it possibly affect your page formatting? It is in the same column as “Navigation”, “Attributes”, and “Inventory”. Are you going to advocate for removing them next? Or ask people not to log any bugs into your cache since it will increase the size of the “Inventory” and miss up your page formatting?

If you use proper html coding it wouldn't affect your page.

OK now we need to get rid of badly composed/out of focus pictures, bad grammar and misspellings on cache pages.

:)

Edited by FunnyNose

Actually, when I set up my page, I take those points into consideration in terms of the Nav, Attr, and Invent. sections. Those first two rarely change in size, and I set the attributes myself. As for logging in TBs and other trackables, they are temporary and get moved all the time. So I don't have any intentions of advocating anything other than what I originally said. Let's just stick to the facts. Your lists are there whether I want them or not. I do acknowledge that they can be useful, but I say put a link to them if they are annoying people, and then if you want them, go there. I am not advocating getting rid of them entirely. I just said it was annoying to me. Actually, my best friend and caching companion (my wife!) likes them, and we still even get along!

If you use proper html coding it wouldn't affect your page.

OK now we need to get rid of badly composed/out of focus pictures, bad grammar and misspellings on cache pages.

:)

OK...... well I can only agree with your last line, and now need to find out how I am using improper html code so I can get off this rather trivial topic and get on with my caching. Solutions please? I love to learn new stuff.

Actually, when I set up my page, I take those points into consideration in terms of the Nav, Attr, and Invent. sections. Those first two rarely change in size, and I set the attributes myself. As for logging in TBs and other trackables, they are temporary and get moved all the time. So I don't have any intentions of advocating anything other than what I originally said. Let's just stick to the facts. Your lists are there whether I want them or not. I do acknowledge that they can be useful, but I say put a link to them if they are annoying people, and then if you want them, go there. I am not advocating getting rid of them entirely. I just said it was annoying to me. Actually, my best friend and caching companion (my wife!) likes them, and we still even get along!

:) I agree with you wife then and I bet we'd even get along on the trail for elusive tupperware.

For 95% of the cache hiders out there I'm betting they'll never see a bookmark on their page.

Now that Jeremy and company have gotten rid of the annoying animated smileys I hope you'll learn to love the bookmarks...or at least tolerate them.

:) I agree with you wife then and I bet we'd even get along on the trail for elusive tupperware.

For 95% of the cache hiders out there I'm betting they'll never see a bookmark on their page.

Now that Jeremy and company have gotten rid of the annoying animated smileys I hope you'll learn to love the bookmarks...or at least tolerate them.

OK!! You (mostly my wife!) have won me over! I think that Jeremy's change is making those er... ummm... nice lists thingys acceptable... but it is hard to type now that I have a rubber arm flopping all over the place!

I believe that what VDS was going for in initiating this topic was not to attack us FTF hounds but instead to discuss potentials for abuse of including HTML code in Bookmark lists - a practice that I also don't find harmful presently but can see the potential for abuse.

True on the first half, but maybe a little bit off on the second.

My point was that if geocaching.com wanted to provide the ability for folks to embed html that will be interpreted when others view the page, that's a business decision they get to make because it's their site. However, as a paying 'viewer' of the web pages, I thought I'd mention that such stuff bugs the heck out of me visually, especially the animated gifs.

All I was asking was (1) for other opinions I suppose, which seem 90% plus against the embedded html, and (2) for TPTB to consider giving those of us who don't want to see such stuff the ability to suppress having such visual clutter inflicted on us against our will.

I chose to not contact the cachers involved because the issue wasn't them personally, it was a general usability issue for the web site, nothing more, nothing less. I thought that was what this forum was for.

[...edited to fix the blasted editor interpreting a lower-case 'b' in parens as an emoticon - even the forum editor interprets innocent ascii as if it was html or equivalent...]

Edited by vds