$250 Fine

Team Fawlty

I realize that 60-70 yrs ago $250 was a large amount, but today, it would seem trivial to rip a benchmark out if it is in the way since if fined, it would only add $250 to the construction cost - probably far less than the cost to reset. Am I correct in my assumption?

Brendan

You are correct. So far, we have not found anyone willing to revisit the hundreds of thousands of benchmarks to chisel a "1" in front of that "250".

70 years ago, no one thought through the idea that a metallic marker does not lend itself to adjustments for inflation. [grin]

-Paul-

You are correct. So far, we have not found anyone willing to revisit the hundreds of thousands of benchmarks to chisel a "1" in front of that "250".

70 years ago, no one thought through the idea that a metallic marker does not lend itself to adjustments for inflation. [grin]

-Paul-

I ... have ... an ... IDEA

You can't forget that every agency has to get a piece of the "fine" pie. Not just the agency who placed the mark but the county and city has to have a cut. They are added and called assessments.

A typical fine of $100 adds up to $271 with assessment included. So that $250 fine could end up costing you about $650.