One Line Logs?

How do you feel about one line logs?

The cache setter has taken the trouble to hide a cache for you - the least you could do is reward them with a couple of lines of text... :laughing:

Now I know you might have been out on a mega-cache bagging day, but surely something must have happened... :laughing:

Hmmmm....

Been on both sides. I like to receive nice long logs on my caches, but I'm as guilty as other when I get home with 40/50 caches to log after a trip of less than inspiring logs. On the other hand, the one's that stuck out will get decent logs.

Some of my caches don't deserve much more than a "TNLNSL TFTC" but it DOES rile me when I get similar on a cache I've put a lot of work into.

I wrote a similar topic about 2 weeks back.

Ive started leaving longer online logs after i was left some really long logs which were so nice to read so i decided to make more of an effort to tell about my events leading up to me finding a cache

depends on the cache.some dont warrent more than one line some do.

although i have been getting better at writing longer entrys.it also depends on what has happened on the way to the cache.some quick jump out of the car and log caches how can you write more than one line on that.some caches ive done have deserved a long write up they have been that good.

How about the person who got told the answer to a puzzle cache, went and found it and then rated it with a 1% score on GCUK after the owner of the cache spent a considerable amount of time setting the cache, devising the puzzle and writing the text for the cache.

Granted it's not the best cache in the world, but it's a pretty good one as it's a fun puzzle and the walk to the cache is a nice one with good views. It deserves better than 1%.

Makes you wonder why people bother setting a cache sometimes. Don't let the bar-stewards grind you down.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Long logs, short logs, medium sized logs, one liners, logs that would outdo Tolstoys War and Peace, really it doesnt matter. What does matter is that the caches are there to find. Surely people dont lay caches so that they can bask in the glory of a mini novel log entry. Isnt the idea of geocaching the thrill of the hunt.... Or am I being too naive. Is it not enough to just find a cache ?

Red Squadron..................John and Ann

I have made a few one line logs before now (yes, me, honest, once) but it is the exception. I like to archive my trip while giving feedback to the cache setter and future finders but sometimes there is noting to say.

If it am first to find I do tend to waffle on a bit, generally because I want to give a finders feedback to the cache without sounding line I have drawn an opinion of the cache and passing judgement. A one line on a first to find is a little rough IMHO.

So my view is to encourage logging online even if it is only a few words because that is still better than "Found it" or no log at all.

I prefer to get longer logs on our own cache so I try to leave longer logs too. I did leave a couple of short logs when we did part of a series in a forest park - by the time we got home a couple of them were indistinguishable in my mind. But in general I try to show my appreciation and if something amusing happened on the way to the cache I will reflect it in the log.

The cache setter has taken the trouble to hide a cache for you - the least you could do is reward them with a couple of lines of text... :laughing:

Now I know you might have been out on a mega-cache bagging day, but surely something must have happened... :laughing:

seeing as I was the last person to find one of your caches, is this aimed at people like me! :blink:

If so, I'll explain

seeing as I was the last person to find one of your caches, is this aimed at people like me! :huh:

If so, I'll explain

Hi Steve! :D

It was your recent logs that inspired the thread, but it wasn't intended as an attack on you personally - I've found quite a few caches in the past week or so and some of my log entries have really waffled on! :ph34r:

I enjoy reading other peoples logs, so when they aren't very forthcoming it's a bit disappointing... :huh:

- by the time we got home a couple of them were indistinguishable in my mind.

I jot down notes on the pda (or paper) to remind myself when I get home. It gets confusing when we've done a lot of swapping and tb collecting as to what went where and came from where. So I also write down at the same time a bit about the walk, scenery, cache or anything just to jog my memory later at home.

I'm more interested in who has found my caches rather than what they write in the log. It's pleasing to see a cacher from a different area travel to do a tour of my area or maybe a cacher who has been quiet for a while start caching again. :huh:

I have occasions where I do short logs or long logs or in between logs and there are many different reasons for them. :ph34r:

If you require extra feedback then maybe you could amend your cache description and ask cachers to be more descriptive? I'm sure they will oblige. I'll be touring north lakes myself in the next month or two and will remember to add an extra few comments when I log yours. :huh::D

Cheers!

Seasider

I think I am guilty of short logs quite alot of the time. Often this is because I am am having to be as quick as possible because someone else wants to use the computer or because I am uploading photos and our antique pc can't cope and takes forever (so I don't want to spend ages typing a log as well). I prefer to write the longer logs wherever possible though.

One will always remember what to write in a log if they were to take a photo or two! I find it boosts the memory once home again. personally never write just one line and try to add if possible something interesting or humerous. There again though, each to his own! :huh::ph34r:

The cache setter has taken the trouble to hide a cache for you - the least you could do is reward them with a couple of lines of text... :ph34r:

Now I know you might have been out on a mega-cache bagging day, but surely something must have happened... :huh:

I'm not a very good speller, hence the short log and forum replies.

i really enjoy caching and feel its a thank you to the work put into setting each cache to have a few lines in the logs that puts you in the picture abit.so some can be short and some can be long.we are all different,so the logs will be all sizes.happy caching patandjeff with two corgis that make up team bones1.

I'd much rather see a one-line log than no log at all. I don't bother reading a hidden message into the length of a log either. (I'd expect the log to state clearly if there was a problem with the cache.) Conversely, if I write a short log myself, it's usually because my mind's gone blank.

Short logs are disappointing to read. However, not everybody is a great logger and so I do not stress out over short logs, nor read anything into them, it's just the way some people chose to cache.

I will always make an effort with my logging, even to the extent of having a couple of sentences to say for each any every breath strip cache attached to the bottom of a park bench in Hyde Park. I make brief notes as I do caches, to jog my memory later when logging. Sometimes I dont have a clue about a particular cache, but usually reading the past logs and the hint is sufficient to jog my memory.

I try to leave more than one line but some caches don't lend themselves well to anything more than drove up, lent out of car, found it, signed log.

I have a mirco that isn't worth more than that but I'm just happy when someone finds one of my caches. If I've really enjoyed a cache or had a hard time finding or completing one then I say so.