Quick Cache Placement Question

Cap'n Cache

Howdy,

I live in an apartment complex and I'm wondering if it would be within the guidelines of Geocaching to place a cache in this little park that's in our apartment complex.

I've read the guidelines and I'm not sure if this qualifies as private property??? I'm assuming it does, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Cap'n Cache

I would agree with RK that if it is too close to the apartments you may get some people wondering what is going on. I have a cache in a park that borders a subdivision and had to go to tell several of the neighbors what was going on due to suspicious looks and phone calls to the police. As far as getting approval, to be on the safe side, I would get a manager/owners ok and put that in the reviewer notes with the name of the person that said it was ok.

Is the park a place of public accomodation? Is it intended just for appartment residents?

If the former as a resident you probably have the right to use the park for recreation and a cache would likely be ok. (YMMV).

If the latter, you may just get the police called on visitors.

I'm pretty sure it's intended for apartment residents only. It's really not a park, it's more a worn-down swing set and a rustly slide in the middle of a wooded plot of land. No one goes there. Ever.

I suppose I should get permission from the manager.

Thanks,

Cap'n Cache

I have to ask why you would want to place one there. Is there a good reason to bring people to that spot? Is it an interesting place? Is there something scenic about it? Any historic interest? Or is it just for the sake of placing a cache?

I'd like to know the answers to these questions as well. From your description it sure doesn't sound like a great spot, plus the muggle factor will be very high and the cache isn't likely to last long.

I have to ask why you would want to place one there. Is there a good reason to bring people to that spot? Is it an interesting place? Is there something scenic about it? Any historic interest? Or is it just for the sake of placing a cache?

Yes, it's actually scenic. There's a family of deer that live in this area and you're almost sure to spot them everytime you're in that area. It's quite nice.