Signing Container Rather Than Logbook

BiT

Okay, here is another bit of info. This darth_maul_3 user is not only signing the outside of the containers as DRR but at later dates as HCT. I have deleted one of their log where HCT signed the outside of my cache.

If this is true it is happening without my knowledge or blessing - we screwed up on the run by doing this, were chastised, aplogized and learned from it. If any one is in fact still doing it after all that then I will be as angry as the rest of you.

Please understand that we were 8 relative strangers coming together for that weekend run - the team ceased to exist immediately after we found the last cache.

If anyone who was on that team does something today it is not as part of our team and no one else on the team should be chastised for his continuing abuse.

I am perfectly willing to take a beating for mistakes I made - but I do learn from it and stop doing what caused the problem! If anyone that was on that team is still doing it, I am not a part of it and certainly do not support it.

On a different note....if any of the cache owners of the caches that were subjected to the "DRR" are miffed about the cache defacing, you can remove the "DRR" with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, at least on most surfaces.

I restate my offer to pay for or replace any cache signed by our team during our run. So far I have had no requests to do so.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Dang scruples! B)

I went out caching yesterday. I got a late start and was getting frustrated because it was very apparent that I wasn't going to be able to hit the number goal I had set for myself. The second cache I came to was an ammo can hidden in a hollow spot at the base of a tree. It took a couple minutes to spot it, but there it was!

When I went to pull the ammo can out, to my dismay it wouldn't budge. That's when I realized that the tree had recently been hit by lightening and had collapsed/settled onto the ammo can. The tree's still standing, but the full weight of it is now resting on this can. B)

Meaning, it won't move! I could pop the latch, but there's no way to open the lid. The bottom of the can is semi-crushed. I found some sticks and tried to dig the can out, but no luck. I supposed I would have done better with a shovel, but then again...I don't know...the tree might have just settled some more as I dug the can out.

In fact, this could be a dangerous maintenance run. :rolleyes:

As I left the cache site I called a friend of mine to share the story. She laughed and said, "Did you sign the container?" LOL....no....I didn't. I logged a "needs maintenance" and wished I had brought one of those collapsible shovels. Maybe I'll go buy one today. B)

Bret

Edited by CYBret

On a different note....if any of the cache owners of the caches that were subjected to the "DRR" are miffed about the cache defacing, you can remove the "DRR" with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, at least on most surfaces.

But a cache owner should not have to remove "DRR" or any other signature that was written on the cache.

But a cache owner should not have to remove "DRR" or any other signature that was written on the cache.

No, they shouldn't. I'd like to see DRR go back to each and every cache and fix or replace each one they screwed with. Now that would be a record most of us here would actually respect!

Okay, here is another bit of info. This darth_maul_3 user is not only signing the outside of the containers as DRR but at later dates as HCT. I have deleted one of their log where HCT signed the outside of my cache.

If this is true it is happening without my knowledge or blessing - we screwed up on the run by doing this, were chastised, aplogized and learned from it. If any one is in fact still doing it after all that then I will be as angry as the rest of you.

4fa8b8d4-ca64-4bda-8bad-32ad587893b9.jpg

This is a pic from my Sprinkers Doom cache. There is also a pic on the log sheet. The logsheet was damp but was still able to be signed. I had deleted the online find log, I think that it dated May 22-23 as well as another log that didn't sign the logsheet and claimed a find.

However, I do have to note that they did sign the logbook on another regular sized cache of mine. Sprinklers Doom is a mirco and Keller's Donation is a regular sized cache. Attached is a pic of the signed logbook on Keller's Donation and it is also posted to the cache page.

c0337822-f82e-4688-ba78-1a898ffb921c.jpg

Edited by Buckeyes_in_Texas (BiT)

<image snipped>

This is a pic from my Sprinkers Doom cache. There is also a pic on the log sheet. The logsheet was damp but was still able to be signed. I had deleted the online find log, I think that it dated May 22-23.

However, I do have to note that they did sign the logbook on another regular sized cache of mine. Sprinklers Doom is a mirco and Keller's Donation is a regular sized cache. Attached is a pic of the signed logbook on Keller's Donation and it is also posted to the cache page.

<image snipped>

You shouldn't post pictures of travelbug tracking numbers. Someone could virtually grab the bug and move it. The owner would have a hard time figuring out where their bug really is.

You shouldn't post pictures of travelbug tracking numbers. Someone could virtually grab the bug and move it. The owner would have a hard time figuring out where their bug really is.

True, I usually don't. I never noticed it on this one since this was my first TB when I first start gcing. I glad I'm the owner. I'll delete the pic asap.

I'm sorry, I just now read this topic and I am confused? Is there a cache prize for finding the most caches??? Is there a lombardi type trophy for being the best? I realize and have cached with some questionable finders but is all that important in the grand scheme of things? It's like playing golf.... do we really care that someone shot a 70 because he/she moved a sliced ball from the woods? Isn't that their problem? Does it really matter? Only if we are rewarding them with a cash prize or trophy. Why must this sport get to the point where we bit*h and moan about what others are doing? Then the comment about the cachers ethnicity? NO COMMENT on that. Let it go. This is a fun sport for me and my children and I personally don't care whether or not they signed the cache or a log.... that is something they will have to live with. I wouldn't do it but I can only speak for myself. I personally like the guy who took the time to go to his cache and take pics of all the stuff.......lol......you guys are applying too much negative energy to this fun game. NOW, get off your soapboxes and get outside and cache!

From what you wrote at the end are you saying "oops, My bad" "Let's let the record stand anyway"?

Is that a correct reading?

Now the only one that can answer that question is TAR so please everyone don't respond with "Well what I think he meant was...." Lets hear it from the person that wrote it.

Yes, I applaud and appreciate what this team did and firmly believe that they deserve the respect and support of this community. I certainly uphold the record number of caches they found in 24 hours - I don't see how anyone can legitimately argue with that.

Cache runs and cache teams have long held that splitting up was acceptable if done in moderation. We did one long bridge where there were 22 caches along a walking path that could not safely be done from the vehicle. We had three men walk that section to find them while the van moved on to others. There was a walking path through a park that had 8 caches, which two men walked while the van went after others.

Even if you subtract these thirty caches found while apart, we still exceeeded the record.

They signed the containers as I told them to. Had they opened the containers and signed the logs it would certainly have taken more time, but we so far surpassed the 263 record that it is my belief that had we takenn the time and done so they would still have broken the record.

That being said, they are legitmate winners.

I personally will not log any of these caches as an attempt to accept responsibility for this unfortunate mistake.

I was with the team and of the team and, except for igniting this firestorm, feel that we did a good thing.

Anyone that wants to deny the legitimacy of my claim to the title is welcome to do so, but to deny it to them is grossly unfair.

Ed

We will make only one posting concerning this matter.

We are owners of at least of the three caches that were part of the "record" run.

From what we have read, thealabamarambler appears to be a well respected person from those who know him.

We received an email before the run which stated that they were going to use stickers instead of each individual signing the log. We understood that point and had no problem with that.

They did not say that they were going to mark the containers. We have not checked our caches yet, but even if that was the case, they could still claim that they "found" the caches even how inappropriately they "signed" them. However, since they did not sign or even "sticker" the log in order to save time, the 24 hour time is simply a joke.

What upsets us the most is that there was no mention that the team was splitting up to look for caches as individuals. How do we know that eight people "found" our caches when they log them online? How do we know each one of them even saw our cache? Instead of a "team" finding 312 caches, this could have been a group of individuals finding 40 apiece. How do we know? I don't care if this is "common practice" among record runs. IT IS STILL WRONG!!

We have had the honor to casually cache with other cachers. Yes, sometimes we spotted the cache first, other times they spotted the cache first. But we were together, and we both saw the cache, handled the cache, and signed the cache together.

We plan to delete all logs on our caches concerning this DRR until we know who exactly was present when the cache was found. If a cacher was not even present, then they should not be allow to log it. If an individual cacher can give us a general description, or any details about the cache to show that they were even present when the cache was found, then we will allow that individual to log it as a cache.

We are sure this DRR was a blast for the individuals and we would love to go caching with any of them when they are in town again.

However, if they are the well respected people that we have heard about, then they should not make any claim that they together as a team found 312 caches. It is nothing more than a lie and a fraud.

Edited by kd&prettierhalf

I'm sorry, I just now read this topic and I am confused? Is there a cache prize for finding the most caches??? Is there a lombardi type trophy for being the best? I realize and have cached with some questionable finders but is all that important in the grand scheme of things? It's like playing golf.... do we really care that someone shot a 70 because he/she moved a sliced ball from the woods? Isn't that their problem? Does it really matter? Only if we are rewarding them with a cash prize or trophy. Why must this sport get to the point where we bit*h and moan about what others are doing? Then the comment about the cachers ethnicity? NO COMMENT on that. Let it go. This is a fun sport for me and my children and I personally don't care whether or not they signed the cache or a log.... that is something they will have to live with. I wouldn't do it but I can only speak for myself. I personally like the guy who took the time to go to his cache and take pics of all the stuff.......lol......you guys are applying too much negative energy to this fun game. NOW, get off your soapboxes and get outside and cache!

I am confused also. I don't see what your post has to do with the topic of this thread which is signing the cache container rather than logbook . Perhaps you ment to post this in the New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set thread.

NOW, get off your soapboxes and get outside and cache!

That's usually pretty good advice. Since this thread was opened (5-26) I've found 43 caches. Since the original thread was opened announcing the record claim (5-21) I've found 52 caches. Go back another day (5-20) and the total is 79. Including 2 events, one of which was 180 miles away. During that time I've hunted caches with about 20 other cachers at various times. No, not 20 at once but 1 or 2 at a time mostly, altho there were larger groups for some caches. 22 of the 79 finds were solo, including 2 FTFs. I've met quite a few cachers that I've never met before at the events and helped a couple of cachers figure out paperless caching at one of them. Should I mention that the last 2 days I was out (5-28 & 5-29) the temperature was 90 degrees plus or that I pulled a muscle pretty badly on 5-8 and is still not quite healed? I think I've earned my time on the soapbox.

This isn't directed only at the above poster, but to everyone who thinks that people who post in the forums regularly don't get out much.

<snip>

Expect to be angry. As long as the caches that are signed remain to be found we will see others that think initialing or signing the container is an acceptable practice. Especially since there are over 300 cache containers in that area that are signed. I just hope that this practice doesn't spead to my area. I guess from now on I'll have to start carring paint thiner and other cleaners when I do mainenance on my caches now. B)

This isn't directed only at the above poster, but to everyone who thinks that people who post in the forums regularly don't get out much.

I'm kind of limited on my gcing right now, we had a mishap a few days ago.

Ouch! B) Hope she recovers well. B)

Edited to add: Just noticed you mention Lawton, OK. in your log. I was down there a couple of times back before geocaching. I seem to remember that they have a Cache St. somewhere in town if I'm not mistaken. Small world.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

Ouch! B) Hope she recovers well. B)

ACK! Best wishes to her! Hopefully things will heal up well and quickly!

I like where you said you were dying to get something to drink, but her foot was resting on the cooler, so you toughed it out. Now that's what I call true love! B)

No, they shouldn't. I'd like to see DRR go back to each and every cache and fix or replace each one they screwed with. Now that would be a record most of us here would actually respect!

My suggeston of the rubbing alcohol to cache owners, was simply a quick and dirty solution to fix their cache, if they felt the need to, and be done with it. If you marinate in the "who" should clean it, you'll be marinating a looooong time.

Meaning, it won't move! I could pop the latch, but there's no way to open the lid. The bottom of the can is semi-crushed. I found some sticks and tried to dig the can out, but no luck. I supposed I would have done better with a shovel, but then again...I don't know...the tree might have just settled some more as I dug the can out.

Dynamite works well. B)

Dynamite works well. <_<

We know exactly which one you are talking about!! I believe it was Zeke's uncle's cache. We joked with the cache owner about taking a chainsaw next time we go caching!!!