Signing Container Rather Than Logbook

BiT

What is your general thoughts on teams or individuals signing the outside of the container rather than taking the time to open the container and signing the logbook. Yes, the contain could be opened and did have a logbook enclosed. I have seen a lot of these containers signed this week in DFW area (for GW4) where teams have been running.

As a cache owner I'd be pretty pissed. I put the logbook in there for a reason. The outside of my container is also painted a certain way for a reason.

I certainly hope this isn't the beginning of "just new way to play the game", and the rest of us will be told that we shouldn't dare have the audacity to question it.

Edited by briansnat

If the log book isn't signed, is it really a find? I am sure the name will wear off the outside of the container leaving no proof for the owner to validate they were there in which case the owner should delete their log based on no name in the log book. I bet that would put a halt to someone being too lazy to sign the log book.

Teams are in the area attempting to break the record for the number of caches found in a 24 hour period. They are signing DRR in Sharpie on the outside of containers. No date, just DRR.

Personally, I couldn't play that way. I'd feel guilty about logging it as a find and even more guilty about defacing someone else's container.

And as a cache owner I'd be ticked to find someone had done that.

Bret

That is tacky! I would not do it.

Around here there was a cache container that was destroyed and only the lid remained so some cachers signed the lid and claimed a find, they also let the owner know about the problem. I could see that, but if all is well at the cache then no way!

If they post a found log delete it.

Because the owner visits each cache to see who is signing the OUTSIDE of the container or because someone is telling him that the container has been signed on the OUTSIDE? Man oh man, this stuff is getting more bizzare by the day. :lol::tired::tired:

Teams are in the area attempting to break the record for the number of caches found in a 24 hour period. They are signing DRR in Sharpie on the outside of containers. No date, just DRR.

Perhaps AlabamaRambler or geoPirate will post their side of this issue.

If true*, that makes me angry. As a former co-holder of the 24 hour find record, I took great care to open every container, sign each log with a *pen* and replace the container as found. And as a cache owner, I'd be P.O.'d and would seriously consider deleting the finds for everyone in the group, if this happened to one of my caches.

*Of course, we have to account for the possibility that the cache owners' permission was obtained, like maybe in a local forum or by contacting each cache owner whose caches were on the record run itinerary.

I'd delete the find if it were my cache -- and send a very stern email to the moron that did it. One of my caches has an extremely specialized handmade container that needs to match its surroundings to blend in. If someone were to scribble on the wrong part of it, it would completely ruin the camo. Not to mention it would make me a very unhappy cache owner. I don't have an hour to make a new container because some dope didn't take one minute to sign the log.

Heh, that is pretty tacky. What's next? Maybe I'll just start signing the LIGHTPOLE and claiming a find on the cache hidden inside. Nah, too many lightpoles to look at them all. Let's just sign the parking lot itself, that way we can claim ALL of the caches in ALL of the lightpoles. Next, we'll sign the tree in the forest, because after all the cache is right there anyway and we WERE there... :lol:

I really couldn't give a rat's rear end about the "record", but for god's sake, at least OPEN the thing if you're going to "find" it...

Okay, I have to ask. . . Does anyone know what "DRR" means? Is it a team name? Does it have occult significance, perhaps a code needed to attain the 37th degree initiation in the Ancient and Sacred Order of Upright Freemasons, Scottish Rite, Fifth Convocation, Fourth Synod, Third Conference, 22nd Revision?

And, well, were it one of our caches, I would want them to sign at least the date as well as their geo username on the exterior. There are some containers (particularly some regular and large containers) and hides which would not suffer at all due to the presence of two or three, or maybe even five or six, brief find logs on the exterior, and there are cache hides where placing such a find log would be truly obnoxious and would warrant a geo-death sentence or prolonged torture by a million quacking ducks.

And now, for TRUE GEO CONFESSIONS:

I signed a container once myself. The cache was an abandoned car in the woods. The outside of the car was one logbook, and a second paper log book, along with some of the trade items and TBs, was located in a Rubbermaid container hidden under the car. Other trade items and TBs were located inside the car and even placed loosely on the ground under it. When I found the cache, I discovered that the "smaller" container and secondary logbook had been muggled (confirmed by owner next day), so I signed the exterior of the car with the black Sharpie marker which had been provided at the cache site (also hidden under the car.) In fact, since I reasoned that the black markings from the Sharpie marker might be rendered largely unreadable due to UV bleaching from sunlight within 5.758 years, I also used the same indelible black marker to emplace my name and find date on a shielded inside wall of the engine compartment, in a spot which was protected from sunlight. Please understand and appreciate the fact that this brilliant act of proactive prudence on my part ensures that my find log will still be in place on that cache 87 years from now, when human civilization has long disappeared from earth, and when the Galactic Geocache Find Log Auditors land on earth to visit each cache container on earth in order to verify find logs.

Apparently the GRR is that brand new record that was just set, 312 caches in 24 hrs or whatever. if thats how they logged thier finds, by signing the cache container itself, I don't like it one bit, not that I have any say in the matter, but that just sounds 'tacky'

I much prefer to go after quality than quantity, not that I don't appreciate micros, but parking lot caches that are film cans in lightpoles... :lol:

Apparently the GRR is that brand new record that was just set, 312 caches in 24 hrs or whatever. if thats how they logged thier finds, by signing the cache container itself, I don't like it one bit, not that I have any say in the matter, but that just sounds 'tacky'

I much prefer to go after quality than quantity, not that I don't appreciate micros, but parking lot caches that are film cans in lightpoles... :lol:

Your post kinda took a left halfway through. :tired:

Okay, I have to ask. . . Does anyone know what "DRR" means? Is it a team name? Does it have occult significance, perhaps a code needed to attain the 37th degree initiation in the Ancient and Sacred Order of Upright Freemasons, Scottish Rite, Fifth Convocation, Fourth Synod, Third Conference, 22nd Revision?

According to this post it stands for "Dallas Record Run".

Interestingly, the post is worded as follows:

All caches were signed DRR (Dallas Record Run) for the team.

(I added the bolding, as it appears to be relevant to the current discussion)

On another note, I wonder how many of these caches will be muggled because of this type of "power caching". A large van full of people, most of them speaking with a heavy German accent, if not in German, speeding up to an area, one of them hopping out with an electronic device, doing something to a lightpole, then speeding away???

This is a reckless way to cache and will only bring attention to the hides opening them up for vandalism. I think its also a true testiment to the sad state of homeland (in)security that these guys didnt get arrested or atleast questioned.

Edited by Taranis

On another note, I wonder how many of these caches will be muggled because of this type of "power caching". A large van full of people, most of them speaking with a heavy German accent, if not in German, speeding up to an area, one of them hopping out with an electronic device, doing something to a lightpole, then speeding away???

This is a reckless way to cache and will only bring attention to the hides opening them up for vandalism. I think its also a true testiment to the sad state of homeland (in)security that these guys didnt get arrested or atleast questioned.

I'm confused as to where you got that impression. From what I saw in the posts about the record run, it was 4 people from outside the US, and 4 inside the US that were part of DDR, along with a local driver that I don't think counted in the "team". To me, the 5 minutes they took at each cache, especially the one's late night/early morning meant there probably weren't that many people around to see them. Plus, as I'm sure others have thought, a lampost micro dissapears...where's the problem? Less Micro Spew as Drat would say :lol:

But I'm following this thread to see if we get any answer on why signing the container was "OK" for this run, rather than the log...hoping to get some answers sometime...although they may already be partying with GW4 :tired:

Celticwulf

I think its also a true testiment to the sad state of homeland (in)security that these guys didnt get arrested or atleast questioned.

Huh? Did I read your post correctly?

Is it your position that people acting goofy, but in a legal manner should always be arrested or at least questioned?

I think its also a true testiment to the sad state of homeland (in)security that these guys didnt get arrested or atleast questioned.

Huh? Did I read your post correctly?

Is it your position that people acting goofy, but in a legal manner should always be arrested or at least questioned?

Only if they speak in accents, don't forget that part of the previous comment! We true Americans have nothing to fear from authority!!!

Edit: for Keystone, NO, signing a container isn't ok....without owner's permission, of course.

Edited by KoosKoos

According to this post it stands for "Dallas Record Run".

Interestingly, the post is worded as follows:

All caches were signed DRR (Dallas Record Run) for the team.

(I added the bolding, as it appears to be relevant to the current discussion)

Thank you much for this explanation! I always tend to be about two steps behind in my familiarity with geocaching pop culture, as I do not usually purchase, nor read, those supermarket tablois with names such as Weekly World Geocaching Gossip and News and GeoPeople Magazine. In other words, I tend to be a bit clueless!

Truly amazing the things that some people find to worry about or attach importance to! :lol::tired:

I'm confused as to where you got that impression. From what I saw in the posts about the record run, it was 4 people from outside the US, and 4 inside the US that were part of DDR, along with a local driver that I don't think counted in the "team". To me, the 5 minutes they took at each cache, especially the one's late night/early morning meant there probably weren't that many people around to see them. Plus, as I'm sure others have thought, a lampost micro dissapears...where's the problem?

Oh, gee, I don't know. Maybe the problem is it's SOMEONE ELSE'S FREAKIN' CACHE, NOT YOURS! If you don't like it, don't find it, that's no excuse for anyone aiding and abetting in it's disappearance! :lol::tired::tired:

Edited by ParrotRob

... A large van full of people, most of them speaking with a heavy German accent, if not in German, speeding up to an area, one of them hopping out with an electronic device, doing something to a lightpole, then speeding away???

very funny; I see a grainy, flickering, black and white scene of keystone cop types screetching up in a vehicle, jumping out, circling, yelling something gutteral, jumping back on the side-walls and driving off to the distance ...

Its great for them wanting to break a record and all, but will the 90 seconds or so to open the cache, grab the logbook, find the last signed page, add "DRR", close logbook, then close the container really going to put a damper on their attempted feat? Come on, gimme a break!

Delete their online posting.....(muah, ha ha ha haaaa.....)

Its great for them wanting to break a record and all, but will the 90 seconds or so to open the cache, grab the logbook, find the last signed page, add "DRR", close logbook, then close the container really going to put a damper on their attempted feat? Come on, gimme a break!

Actually, the 1-day record has gotten so high that I imagine that 90 seconds at a cache would cause an attempt to fail.

Actually, the 1-day record has gotten so high that I imagine that 90 seconds at a cache would cause an attempt to fail.

Once a lamp post micro or a guardrail micro is located, it is a 30 second exercise, not 90 seconds. When on a record run, you don't take a lot of time to write in the logbook about your experiences in finding the cache, the weather conditions, and what trade items you took and left. Just the date and name.

Car pulls up next to correct lamp post, based on GPS arrow. Finders exit vehicle. Person 1 lifts the lamp post skirt. Person 2 grabs the container, removes the log and hands just the log to Person 1. Log is signed by Person 1 while Person 2 holds the container in its open position. Person 1 stuffs the log back in, and Person 2 closes the container. Person 1 lifts the lamp post skirt. Person 2 replaces the cache as it was found.

Is it really that difficult to take the 30 seconds needed to do that? Nope.

Car pulls up next to correct lamp post, based on GPS arrow. Finders exit vehicle. Person 1 lifts the lamp post skirt. Person 2 grabs the container, removes the log and hands just the log to Person 1. Log is signed by Person 1 while Person 2 holds the container in its open position. Person 1 stuffs the log back in, and Person 2 closes the container. Person 1 lifts the lamp post skirt. Person 2 replaces the cache as it was found.

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, though.

Trying to keep on topic here, I recently found a cache that the owner wants you to sign the outside of the cache container. It is called Obnoxious Orbs!, Waypoint: GCKQQG. It is for GOLF BALLS ONLY!!!

It's fine if the owner says it's ok or even specifies it, but to do so just for the sake of doing so... not cool IMO. At the least it's just lazy, at worst, you wreck somebody's camo that they spent the time to make.

i'll stick to logging 1 or 2 a day here and there thank. I feel no need to log a few hundred in as little time possible. But each to their own, just respect the cache.

30 seconds * 300 caches = 9000 seconds = 2 hours 30 minutes.

Yep, leaving 21 hours for traveling from one cache to the next, and *finding* the caches, plus 30 minutes to log visits in the "Potty" category over at Waymarking. :lol:

Not pissing off cache owners and half of the geocaching community, priceless. :lol:

One of team members mentioned that the previous record was broken in the 18th hour, so that had more than enought time to open the caches and sign the logs.

Not pissing off cache owners and half of the geocaching community, priceless. :lol:

Not having cache owners delete your log, ruin your record and call you out in the forums: $2.75

"DALETED!!!!!! BWWWAAHH HHAAAA HAAAA AAAA!!!!! Oh, I feel so fresh and clean, clean"

DELETED.jpg

On my Sprinklers Doom (GCPJ14) cache I had to delete the logs. One was from a team that did not sign the log and claimed a find, one was from an individual in town for business that again didn't sign the log, and the others were from members of the team that signed the container. However on my Keller's Donation (GCPK78) cache a team signed the logbook. See pics of the logbook.

On my Sprinklers Doom (GCPJ14) cache I had to delete the logs. One was from a team that did not sign the log and claimed a find, one was from an individual in town for business that again didn't sign the log, and the others were from members of the team that signed the container. However on my Keller's Donation (GCPK78) cache a team signed the logbook. See pics of the logbook.

:tired::tired::lol::lol:

I see trouble brewin' on the horizon....