New Cache Type - Mega Event Cache

H to the Bizzle!

I must say I like the idea - a mega event - an event with over 500 people. <_<

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

"A Mega-Event cache is similar to an Event Cache but it is much larger. In order to qualify as a Mega Event, the event cache must be attended by 500+ people. Typically, Mega Events are annual events and attract geocachers from all over the world."

Edited by HuckleBuckle

Weird. I thought you were proposing a Mega event, and I was going to say that I didn't think it was necessary to have two different event types.

Can't you just put the container size as "Large"?

I had a CITO event in a small cemetery and we only had about 10 people, so I used the "small" container size.

Jamie

Must say, I don't see the need. This seems more like something that should be an attribute or cache size selection. Many more worthy ideas for new cache types have been shot down, and said to use attributes or size. Is there really even a need for the type? I mean, there's what two or three events a year the would qualify for this?

I didn't stand there counting, but from events I've attended, I believe that GeoWoodstock III and Midwest GeoBash 1 had more than 500 people each.

Sure, the cache type isn't "needed." But it is one way to get the event to appear on all the state and country pages -- a feature that's been requested for years.

I don't see the need for this either, though my caching arena is in Finland and Saudi Arabia where it would be highly unlikely to have 500 cachers in one place. But it does look to me like there is need for new types for caches since the 'unknown' type seems to have a lot of similar type of caches. For example in Finland most of the unkwown type caches seems to be a puzzle/mystery.

So here is my suggestion: How about creating a type for puzzle/mystery with a puzzle icon? Then ask unknown cache owners to verify their caches, if they should be of the new type. And just leave unknown as it is as it will still play the role of the catch all cache type. This would allow new innovative cache types to stand out in unknown cache listings.

It's only a mega event after the fact. Before that it's an event and I think that's good enough.

Who's going to fix the events turned mega, and the mega events turned regular? What makes for a micro event or a non event? Puzzle events have potential. You can't attend unless you figure out where it's at, film at 11. My new favorite, Event crawling. Just like a pub craw but a bunch of events 528' apart so you can drink and socialize. You would be impressed what having to crawl with your compatriats does for truly getting to know someone.

Sounds like a marketing gimmick. Come up with some simple requirements that exclude all but a few, then give those a different icon and more latitude in Advertising.

Even if it does end up being overused, its a new icon... (something to thrill some, and irrate others)

Welch concisely states the cynical view, which may well be correct!

But I prefer to look at the Mega Event as a response to community feature requests. My recollection is that I first mentioned this idea to Groundspeak in January 2004 as a result of conversations with people who like to travel long distances to big events. Since the site is structured geographically (either by coordinates or country/state/province), there was no simple way to publicize Mega-Events across artificial boundaries like state lines.

The Midwest Geobash is just two states away. A mere 231 miles from my home coordinates. I could be there in less than half a day's drive if I didn't stop for caches along the way. Yet I'd never know about it unless I followed the forums, because it was listed in Michigan. (I am not going to this event, I'm just sayin'....)

I also recall posts after the previous Geo-Woodstocks from people complaining that they did not know about the event, had no easy way of finding out, and wishing that there were a better way to cross-post them.

But I prefer to look at the Mega Event as a response to community feature requests.

The community has often called for micro caches to be seperated the same way, I dare say probably more often too. Paraphrasing what has always been the usual response: Mega is a size, not a type.

That being said, I do like the idea. How exactly does the difference aid someone in finding these events? I did a search for events in Illinois and only Illinois events came up. Should GeoBash have come up too?

But I prefer to look at the Mega Event as a response to community feature requests.

The community has often called for micro caches to be seperated the same way, I dare say probably more often too. Paraphrasing what has always been the usual response: Mega is a size, not a type.

That being said, I do like the idea. How exactly does the difference aid someone in finding these events? I did a search for events in Illinois and only Illinois events came up. Should GeoBash have come up too?

The feature is less than 12 hours old and not all the little bits may be in place. Your question remains to be answered.

The feature is less than 12 hours old and not all the little bits may be in place. Your question remains to be answered.

TY. Looking forward to seeing how it works. :ph34r:

Now that it exists, yes it should.

Now that it exists, yes it should.

Its a long weekend give the guys a chance to announce how all of it will work.

Edited by CO Admin

I like the idea for the potential "spreading the word" benefits of a large event. I would like to see it altered to allow for posting 1 year ahead, and to expand the alert radius to 1000-2000 miles.

Jamie - NFA

Sounds like a marketing gimmick. Come up with some simple requirements that exclude all but a few, then give those a different icon and more latitude in Advertising.

Even if it does end up being overused, its a new icon... (something to thrill some, and irrate others)

I have to agree.

The event sizes could have easily been broken up into sizes. Micro less than 20, small less than 50, regular less than 200, large over 200. You can easily find all of the events via a PQ--even across state lines.

I don't see a bit of difference in mega and the regular in actual operation.

Could be it was rolled out early for GW4 even though it is this weekend and the type didn't get anyone anything but yet another icon.

Yes, cynical is the way I feel.

Awesome idea. Now I will have enough heads up time that if a mega event like GW4 comes close to my area. It will give me enough time to temp disable my caches and collect the physical containers to avoid the angst that these large events bring with them.

To see what I mean:

Is My Opinion Overboard?

Signing The Container Rather Then Logbook

I also like the idea of breaking the events in to different sizes. Small, Med, Large, Biggie size, etc. I'm not to sure how to handle the final count vs. the initinal estimate. If the amount attened was more flexable that would help. For example they could overlap so small could be something like 2-10 while med could be 5-30 and large 25-50.

I wonder if there could be some kind of local or national limits for mega events, like, there hardly are 500 active cachers in the entire country here. Having even 50 would make an event big, 100 huge..

With you on that one. What defines a mega event? Its the big problem and why it looks like an attribute rather than a type.

In our area, 150+ is a mega event and as you point out huge could be a lower number in some other areaa. Looks like another rush decision to implement that will lead to lots of what should have been avoidable controversy. Me, for example, with proper definition and time to reach it I would be on side but then I never rush to judgement if I can.

Like so many things, when the TPTB like something they rush to put it in place without much thought to proper definitions and then tell everyone to wait to see how they end up defining it, not the user community's definition. This is then followed by a lengthy period f disgruntlement in the user community. But they do nothing, even after lengthy discussion and definitions taking shape from the user community, when they don't like an idea.

I wish they would take their time on these things and find out first whether it really is something that the community is in general agreement on and respond to the user community consensus opinions. No consensus really has formed as far as I can see on this issue.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Is GW4 is the first Mega Event, the only one that has been listed so far? I have noticed a few players with 4 or more Megas in their stats, just wondering how I missed seeing those other events.... :rolleyes:

GW4, it's all about the numbers. Leave your ethics at home.

My question is.. what if you are not sure of the attendance of an event. Some are easy like the 2 that already have the Mega-Event type (GW4 and Midwest Geo Bash).. but what if you are expecting 300-400 and more than 500+ attend?

Can you ask for you event type to be changed to a Mega-Event, after the Event happened?

My question is.. what if you are not sure of the attendance of an event. Some are easy like the 2 that already have the Mega-Event type (GW4 and Midwest Geo Bash).. but what if you are expecting 300-400 and more than 500+ attend?

Can you ask for you event type to be changed to a Mega-Event, after the Event happened?

OR the opposite, if an event is hoping for the 500 mark, and only 400 show up, does the icon get changed back to just a regular event cache?

Can you ask for your event type to be changed to a Mega-Event, after the Event happened?

What would be the point?

So that you can easily spot previous events that had a great attedance and make you feel sorry you missed this one and that you might be more enticed to go the next time.

Icons..... the NEW Breakfast of Champions!

Not that I thrive on them.. but that too. :rolleyes:

Can you ask for your event type to be changed to a Mega-Event, after the Event happened?

What would be the point?

So that you can easily spot previous events that had a great attedance and make you feel sorry you missed this one and that you might be more enticed to go the next time.

If it had great attendance from a wide area, then it should have no problem getting Mega status next time around. No need to rewrite history.

What would be the point?

If it had great attendance from a wide area, then it should have no problem getting Mega status next time around. No need to rewrite history.

Maybe. Then, you absolutely need a precedent to have a mega status and this should be mentionned.

The event sizes could have easily been broken up into sizes. Micro less than 20, small less than 50, regular less than 200, large over 200. You can easily find all of the events via a PQ--even across state lines.

I don't see a bit of difference in mega and the regular in actual operation.

Seconded. The size attribute would be better for events, with varying alert radiuses.

Well, duh.

Sometimes its just good to put it in words

'Captain Obvious' :anitongue:

Maybe next year Jeremy can allow Mega Events to break all the guidelines. He could charge the event a few hundred dollars. :anibad:

Good idea.

Here's the note that indicates the (as of yet not implemented) functionality. It's been changed to 1/2 year in advance instead of a year as posted in the announcements section.

Just look at the number of Posts in the forum to see how active the UK is but please give a thought to countries such as mine where a large event would be thought as 50 or more people attending.

Looks to me that the only place a Mega event could take place is the USA. The sport is meant to unite people rather than being country specific so I think this development is divisive and unhelpful. It would be much better if the coordinators for each country could set the limit and this way everyone would have a fair share of attending such an event.

Edited by Big Wolf

An event attended by 500 people............Is that people showing up (meaning Super Duper shows up with 19 of his cousins does he count for 20) or cacher names on the website logging?

I thought a mega-even was one in which the attendees could log as attended 500 times or more in order to boost their numbers. :)

So far mega-events have started as events and then were converted to mega-events after the fact. But I would guess that if you had an event that historically drew 500+ attendees then you could get the mega-event designation right away.

You shouldn't be worried about an event having 499 attendees and not getting the mega-event designation. I'm sure that 500 attendees is just a guideline. Even if an event with near 500 attendees doesn't get desigated as a mega-event it doesn't make the event any less fun.