Geocaching Goals...

BC Tripper

I've thought about this question quite a bit lately. It seems some cachers are hell bent on raising their stats in some way. Some people are out for pure find counts, some collecting types of caches or trackables like geocoins. Others want as large of an icon count as possible... So what is your "geo-goal"? Or do you have one?

Mine currently is to visit all Canadian Earthcaches. I'm 2/50 so far, and hope to knock off another few very soon.

Cheers!

BC Tripper <_<

I've thought about this question quite a bit lately. It seems some cachers are hell bent on raising their stats in some way. Some people are out for pure find counts, some collecting types of caches or trackables like geocoins. Others want as large of an icon count as possible... So what is your "geo-goal"? Or do you have one?

Mine currently is to visit all Canadian Earthcaches. I'm 2/50 so far, and hope to knock off another few very soon.

Cheers!

BC Tripper <_<

I love increasing my count (currently 51) but my main goal is to get out and see places I wouldn't normally have gone. Geocaching is like hiking with a purpose, for me. :lol:

Scott

My current goal is to make it to 100 finds and 10 hides by june 15 but I work 6-7 days a week

Glad to see someone with a hiding goal - if it wasn't for hiders there would be no finders. I did start out with a 1 hide for every 10 finds but I've long since slipped behind.

I'm glad o see that goal setting is not put forth as a negative thing here (as it often is). Too each his own way to enjoy. I know some big numbers people. Still, they are very good people. My goal? Simply to enjoy every cache experience as much as possible. Sometimes that is just for the number, sometimes for the area it takes me to, sometime for the uniqueness of the cache. Variety is a good thing. Most of all I think I like to put out a good hide.

Goal #1

To reach 350 caches in 2006. To do it, I have to find about one-third more than last year (when I found one-third more than my first year).

Goal #2

Get two more caches placed. I am really picky about locations, and only want to place them with 10km of my home.

Goal #3

Collect a bunch of geocoin icons.

I agree, it's totaly great to see someone with a hiding goal. I don't have one per se, but I always try to place a cache if I go somewhere unique or interesting while camping etc. For example, we placed a few around some out of the way hot springs here in B.C. and the whole experience was great! Guess that's another goal :lol: Do other, more complicated things, while trying to geocache :tired:

BC Tripper :tired:

2006 Goals - that's easy

#1 - To complete res2100's Virtual Geo-Poker Tour (scheduled for 06 Jun 06)

#2 - To place my next series, which is 6 caches, spanning 81km (sceduled for the Autumn)

#3 - To place about 8 caches that have been rattling around in my head for a while

#4 - Attend GHAGAFAP V

#5 - Host the first OGA Event and have an Election

And most importantly.... HAVE FUN!

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

BC Tripper: Mine currently is to visit all Canadian Earthcaches. I'm 2/50 so far, and hope to knock off another few very soon.

I have a similar goal, I really like the concept of EarthCaches. I am also thinking of developing new EarthCaches too. Does your goal only include grandfathered Earthcaches still available on geocachinging.com or those on Waymarking.com too? Just curious to find out if you will be visiting my EarthCaches that are too late to be published on geocaching.com. I currently have one active in Edmonton (WMA65, Mazama Ash - Edmonton), but it has only attracted one visitor so far. There seems to be a serious lack of interest in EarthCaches since they've been moved to Waymarking.com. Maybe this issue should be addressed in another thread.

BC Tripper: Mine currently is to visit all Canadian Earthcaches. I'm 2/50 so far, and hope to knock off another few very soon.

I have a similar goal, I really like the concept of EarthCaches. I am also thinking of developing new EarthCaches too. Does your goal only include grandfathered Earthcaches still available on geocachinging.com or those on Waymarking.com too? Just curious to find out if you will be visiting my EarthCaches that are too late to be published on geocaching.com. I currently have one active in Edmonton (WMA65, Mazama Ash - Edmonton), but it has only attracted one visitor so far. There seems to be a serious lack of interest in EarthCaches since they've been moved to Waymarking.com. Maybe this issue should be addressed in another thread.

The only ones that I've researched so far are the actual 'Earthcaches' as listed by geocaching.com. This is for two reasons, mainly because I'm not too fond of Waymarking, but also because it is hard to determine what is, and isn't, considered an earthcache when its listed as a waymark. Hell, I'll start with these 50 and see where that takes me. If the bugs still biting, I gues I'll have no choice than to waymark :laughing:

Also, I agree with you. It has caused a huge slow down in activity for Earthcaches. I am super glad that 23 got listed in BC before the change was made. I really do hope that they reconzider this, and yes, there was another thread going about this exact issue, but don't ask me where...

BC Tripper

My goal is to try and start Geocaching again!

Breaking my foot and having a newborn seem to put a damper on actually getting out there in the "Field" so to speak.

Pretty soon little rattlepants will be able to come along in the pack though.. look out Geocaching World!! :laughing:

We had a goal to get to 500 in our first year and hide a cache for every 50 finds. We've got to 500 with a month to spare and we've got more hides than we anticipated, partly because we adopted a couple of caches and because the dog and the kids got in on the act and hid some too. We like doing events because it brings people together to share their hobby/sport.

Mr. Landsharkz really likes to hide caches which bring people to scenic, interesting and/or educational locations. He's not one for hiding caches in gravel pits or near recycling facilities, beside the rec centre, or shopping centres. He wanted to have an Earthcache and we reached that goal too.

Now we're talking about working on high terrain and/or high difficulty caches - the sidewalk grab n' go's are losing their appeal. We have some dear friends who also have a desire to do high terrain/difficulty so we won't be alone.

Another important goal for us is to make sure our kids and their friends have fun when we geocache. We always have a selection of trade items so they can take something they like... what's the point of all the hunting if we then say 'no' when they want something from the cache?

Thanks for asking!

I guess our goal has been and continues to be 'to get outside and have fun'. Being retired educators, but somewhat overweight; we sincerely appreciate the enjoyment of just walking together, with a purpose, and visiting places we would have never otherwise known about. - Bullfrogeh & Lilypad - the "Bullfrog Eh-Team"

I am with bullfrogeh my goal is to get off the couch, enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise. at the same time I am thinking of hides that would be fun for me to make and y'all to find. as far as numbers - as long as I stay close to oldwraith I am happy

bwmick

I suppose I should add infecting people with the fun that is geocaching ( I am making a presentation to guide leaders Monday night - wish me luck ideas are welcome)

My goal is to get outside to enjoy the great outdoors and to see some interesting new areas/ sights. This spring I discovered that it was fun to collect icons so I am working at that when I get a chance. Numbers don't mean a great deal to me, I am one of the "oldest" cachers in NB and have been more or less left behind by some of the more active cachers.

To boldly go where no cacher has gone... Oops, how did that slip out :laughing:

I didn't know you planned to go after 4.5lb Walleye (GCDFB) :laughing: Well, count me in if you do! I've got a canoe...

My goal is to find more caches by way of water transport. (Canoe or Kayak)

And to find all remaining caches that were hidden before I joined Geocaching.com

TOMTEC

To have fun in the outdoors, by myself, with my family, or with friends

To exercise enough to avoid a heart-attack until my son is middle-aged

To visit cool places that other people liked enough to place a cache at the site

To eventually break 200 finds

Jamie - NFA

I am very new to the hobby, and reading your goals has made me feel better.. after reading a few 5-ish page threads elsewhere on the board, it is reassuring that people DO care about finding and hiding quality caches.

My goals.

To use caching to get me to interesting places.

To answer the question, "What can we do today?" with an activity that may require packing a lunch and wearing sunscreen. (or rain gear!)

To find the most interesting and coolest caches in my area.

To eventually hide a great urban, non-micro cache. And to be a responsible cache owner.

Thanks for this thread. :rolleyes:

I reached my 2 significant goals a couple years ago. Since then I've had some minor goals I guess. I guess the latest would be to hide my 100th cache (next cache I hide) and I am only about half way there to being ready, but I suspect it will be another couple months before it's all set. I do remember a few years ago, I tried really hard to find more than 9 caches in a day...something that seemed almost impossible for me to do, but now it's something we do on a regular basis.

Like many I just want to get out of the house, enjoy nature, visit and see amazing new places that I never would have visited otherwise, let alone knew about.

<_< Our goal for the summer is to hit 500, ( We're at 399) and to get our hides up to 50.

Retiring July1 st should free us up to do this. It is not all about the numbers, just the fun of being outdoors.

We also hope to attend the National cache event in Mattawa in July and the famous GAGAFAB in September.

See you on the trails.

Team Murfster

Long term goal is to cache in every province and territory. The intermediate term goal is meet more fellow geocachers and help grow the game in Ontario by placing as many caches as I can maintain reasonably.

And the immediate goal is to hit 400 finds this year. Mostly to give me a goal that forces me to get outside regularly. Have fun, the numbers will take care of themselves is our motto.

JDandDD

Overtake Hamgran.. at least mine is reasonable! WHA HAHAHA!!

My goal is to.... OVERTAKE NOZZLETIME!!!! (yeah, right....)

TAKOVER the WORLD! Whohohaha! :blink:

Whoops, wrong forum... Now where did I put that Pinky and the Brain bookmark... :P

TOMTEC

We started out pretty strong, caching every weekend, taking long hikes... loving every second of it. Then being the wise guy that I am, I decided to "pop the question" to my caching partner. Now most weekends we spend our time looking at wedding locations or houses (hopefully buying one soon). we still manage to cache ocasionally but now it seems to mean a little more when we do. We get to spend time on ourselves without any time constraints, which is great!

I had the goal of releasing a new cache for 6/6/6 but failed on that, we were just too busy. Too bad too, I made a special cache container for that one. It will see the light of day.... or rather... the dark of a tree stump someday I am sure.

Immediate goal is to hit 100, which shouldn't be too hard... we are at 99 at going camping on the weekend of the 23rd. We always use camping as an excuse to do far away caches.

Aside from all that, I just want to get better at finding stuff in the woods. You never know when your gonna drop your wallet, keys etc..

One of my goals was to average 1 cache a day since I started in Jan 2005 for a while I was keeping up on it, As of today I am 37 caches behind. It is not that easy to do as you get further along becuase not only do you have to make up the caches but each day adds one more. I have been holding steady at 30 or so behind for a few months now. Also one of may main goals is to clear out Hamilton, I have not done too bad but there is still a lot to do. It seems when I get closer a whole bunch a new ones comes up which keeps the challenge alive. I probably will never clear out hamilton especially when you define Hamilton as the entire region including the rural areas.

Short Term Goals:

Hit 200 caches, would like to get #200 on my trip to Boston,MA next week.

Hide my 3rd cache, I'm planning on hiding a new one every time I hit a multiple of 100, but my containers are starting to pile up so I may up that a little (currently sitting on 3 ammo boxes and 4-5 nice waterproof micro containers)

Mid Tern Goals:

Increase my "states cached in" count

Hit 500 caches found.

Hit the 100 TBs moved mark.

Long Term Goals:

Cache in all 50 states.

Get my "within 50 miles" cache listing down to 0.

Break 90 on the golf course. (Whoops, that's not a geocaching goal)

Immedaite Goals:

Enjoy what I'm doing. When it's not fun anymore, I go home.

For my most recent "I'm going home" moment, see my log for City View (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b0-d66d7d416098)

This little adventure helped me learn many lessons (don't leave the water in the car) and made a great story even though it was kind of a miserable cache hunt.

Edited by rhelt100

I guess my goal has been and continues to be to get outside and have fun hiking and Geocaching. That and of course visiting places I would have never otherwise thought to visit while sharpening my GPS, observation, finding and hiding skills.

Edited by suzibub

I too guess my goal has been and continues to be to get outside and have fun hiking and Geocaching.

Being retired and somewhat out of shape and overweight I sincerely want to deepen my appreciation and enjoyment of walking with a purpose. That and I too want to continue visiting places I would have never otherwise visited. Yes I guess I too want to sharpen my observation, finding and hiding skills without and with my GPSr.

There are a couple of goals that I have going right now. The one that is the closest to reach is 365 finds in 365 days. My one year anniversary is approaching on July 26 and I hope to top the 365 mark by then. I am at 302 right now so that means roughly 2 finds a day for the next month. My second goal is to start getting to all the mountian peaks and finding the caches placed at the top. This one will take some time. :grin::(

Edited by 3 Bubbas

There are a couple of goals that I have going right now. The one that is the closest to reach is 365 finds in 365 days. My one year anniversary is approaching on July 26 and I hope to top the 365 mark by then. I am at 302 right now so that means roughly 2 finds a day for the next month. My second goal is to start getting to all the mountian peaks and finding the caches placed at the top. This one will take some time. :grin::(

3 Bubbas, I think that you need to join XRN95, Smrt_geer, and I on a cache-fest sometime soon.

I'm really new to the hobby and so far I LOVE it. I can see that this is exactly the kick in the pants that I needed to get off the couch and out and about.

I guess the main reason I took up the 'sport' is because I have asthma, and everyone (doctors and laypeople) tell me the only way to increase my lung capacity is to walk. I need a reason to walk, and geocaching just gave me that reason.

Secondly, it would be nice to lose 20lbs through all of this, but if that doesn't happen, it'll still be worth it for the vistas, the trinkets, the people and the increased lung capacity.

I've done seven walks and found five caches, so I'm doing well. I made one and dropped it yesterday, and I'd like to do more of that. I LOVE hiding stuff, so this appeals to that side of my personality.

And finally I'd like to make some geocaching friends... no one in my immediate circle of friends 'gets it'.

Jo