Pa Rattlesnakes.

avalance

I was out last evening with a fellow cacher, scouting out some locations for a new mulit when we heard it. That unmistakable rattle. We were walking along the Loyalsock Trail, my feet dragging as always, when I stubbed my boot on a hollow log lying across the trail and it answered back. Rattle, Rattle, Rattle. I looked in the log from several feet away, but I could not see the snake in there. After tapping on the log and making the snake rattle several more times we continued down the trail. On our way out, about an hour later, the snake was still hiding away in the log. So be careful out there! I was just wondering if anyone else has run into any Rattlers yet this year.

Yup, saw one on Monday in Lancaster. Went for a cache called "Dude, that's a fire hydrant!" and Prgrammer64 decided to kick a dead tree. Well, after he kicked it, out came a baby rattler. He played with it for a bit, then we went back to look for the other caches in the park. :ph34r:

Yup, saw one on Monday in Lancaster. Went for a cache called "Dude, that's a fire hydrant!" and Prgrammer64 decided to kick a dead tree. Well, after he kicked it, out came a baby rattler. He played with it for a bit, then we went back to look for the other caches in the park. :)

Interesting spot to see one. That's about 40 miles from the edge of the natural range of rattlesnakes and they are normally stay at home type critters.

We did not spot a rattler, but a spotted a Copperhead today. We were scouting an area for a new cache in St. Anthony’s Wilderness (State Game Lands 211). The wife almost stepped on the snake before we saw him.

Waterboy With Wife

Edited by Waterboy

We did not spot a rattler, but a spotted a Copperhead today. We were scouting an area for a new cache in St. Anthony’s Wilderness (State Game Lands 211). The wife almost stepped on the snake before we saw him.

Waterboy With Wife

Yes we saw one near Jim Thorpe May 22. Same story wife nearly stepped on it...

Yup, saw one on Monday in Lancaster. Went for a cache called "Dude, that's a fire hydrant!" and Prgrammer64 decided to kick a dead tree. Well, after he kicked it, out came a baby rattler. He played with it for a bit, then we went back to look for the other caches in the park. :(

Interesting spot to see one. That's about 40 miles from the edge of the natural range of rattlesnakes and they are normally stay at home type critters.

I agree, this seems like the wrong area for a rattler. I would love to see a picture of this, since I am from Lancaster. I have never seen a rattler in our area.

I haven't seen any this year...but I haven't been out very much since it has been warm.

The last time I ran into a rattlesnake was two summers ago at Stone Valley Cache II (GC8E8A). I was walking through some tall grass because I was too lazy to stay on the trail, and when I came out on the other side, the snake slithered out onto the trail a few feet in front of me. But it wasn't interested in me, and went about its business. :(

Yup, saw one on Monday in Lancaster. Went for a cache called "Dude, that's a fire hydrant!" and Prgrammer64 decided to kick a dead tree. Well, after he kicked it, out came a baby rattler. He played with it for a bit, then we went back to look for the other caches in the park. :laughing:

I agree, this seems like the wrong area for a rattler. I would love to see a picture of this, since I am from Lancaster. I have never seen a rattler in our area.

It was an Eastern Timber Rattlesnake. P64 has a picture of it in his log on the cache page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...67-af88335f838f

Horn229,

That's an awesome picture, thanks to you and P64 for taking it. I still can't imagine an Eastern Timer Rattler in Lancaster. I have found this cache and it wasn't that "thick" of growth around. I thought rattlers liked really thick growth and/or rocky outcroppings.

Any idea on the size of the snake? The picture doesn't give anything to determine dimensions. What did you do with the snake? I believe there is a pool and playground less than 700' or so from that cache, hope no little kids find one of those snakes.

I compared the picture they had with other pictures that I Googled. The biggest "giveaway" seemed to be the end of the tail. The picture isn't very clear, but it looks like the rattle at the end of the tail. I am also assuming they heard the rattle.

However, if I had only seen the picture and not been biased by Horn229 stating it was an eastern timber rattler, I might have thought it was a baby black rat snake.

I compared the picture they had with other pictures that I Googled. The biggest "giveaway" seemed to be the end of the tail. The picture isn't very clear, but it looks like the rattle at the end of the tail. I am also assuming they heard the rattle.

However, if I had only seen the picture and not been biased by Horn229 stating it was an eastern timber rattler, I might have thought it was a baby black rat snake.

I doubt if one that small (young) would have more than a button rattle thus not be capable of making a sound. Rattle formation is associated with shedding which is related to growth.. ie little growth no rattle segments. I see no rattle in the photo. Could be there, but if it was found in that area it is worth reporting to the folks that keep track of endangered and threatened species sightings.

Horn229,

That's an awesome picture, thanks to you and P64 for taking it. I still can't imagine an Eastern Timer Rattler in Lancaster. I have found this cache and it wasn't that "thick" of growth around. I thought rattlers liked really thick growth and/or rocky outcroppings.

Any idea on the size of the snake? The picture doesn't give anything to determine dimensions. What did you do with the snake? I believe there is a pool and playground less than 700' or so from that cache, hope no little kids find one of those snakes.

That snake was still a baby, about 18" long. Where we found was only maybe 70' from a trail. I'm not to crazy now about even thinking about going back for that cache.

I doubt if one that small (young) would have more than a button rattle thus not be capable of making a sound. Rattle formation is associated with shedding which is related to growth.. ie little growth no rattle segments. I see no rattle in the photo. Could be there, but if it was found in that area it is worth reporting to the folks that keep track of endangered and threatened species sightings.

It's rattle hadn't developed yet, but it sure did try to shake it though. Was pretty cool watching it do that, then get his head into the strike position. I wish we had a camera out when it was doing that. :rolleyes:

It's rattle hadn't developed yet, but it sure did try to shake it though. Was pretty cool watching it do that, then get his head into the strike position. I wish we had a camera out when it was doing that. :rolleyes:

Sure that wasn't a hognose snake? They look a bit like rattlers and shake their tails.

Hognose pics

Hognose_hood_GL.jpgeastern_hognose_snake.jpg

Blacksnakes will shake their tail when nervous. In dry grass or leaves it might make even make someone think they heard a rattlesnake. Again a rattlesnake that far from it's normal range and almost within the city limits of Lancaster would be quite unusual. When you put it into the container did it play dead or was it still very active? The hognosed snake described by briansnat often plays dead when confronted. ..but I'll still guess an immature blacksnake based on your photo.black-ratsnake1.jpg

Edited by edscott

Just today near Williamstown, PA. I was trying to get her off a State Forest road so no one would run over her and she wasn't very happy with me.

b9d13cea-1935-4f06-8781-399f4975f40d.jpg

Aight, I was googleing rattlesnake pictures, and this one came back as being a Baja California Rattlesnake.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/pages/enyoenyo.jpg

So if a california rattlesnake is in PA, the one that we saw most likely is a eastern timber rattlesnake. :anibad:

Blacksnakes will shake their tail when nervous. In dry grass or leaves it might make even make someone think they heard a rattlesnake. Again a rattlesnake that far from it's normal range and almost within the city limits of Lancaster would be quite unusual. When you put it into the container did it play dead or was it still very active? The hognosed snake described by briansnat often plays dead when confronted. ..but I'll still guess an immature blacksnake based on your photo.black-ratsnake1.jpg

Ya, this one definately did not play dead, it was ready for a fight. When he put it in the box, he closed the lid right away, then I went back to glance once more for the cache, I guess that's when he took the picture. We looked a few minutes more for the cache, then shortly thereafter he let the snake go.

I ran into one at Panther Rocks Coin Cache a couple of days ago....... We gave each other the stare down for a couple of minutes and then went our seperate ways. It was a beautiful day, beautiful hike, and a beautiful snake.

All right I the weirdo that likes snakes.

Shawn

I didnt even know we had Rattlers in PA - this may end my fascination with GCing... I grew up in good ole Seattle Wa and didnt see too many rattlers in my little urban area... but now I am out caching in these places... What do you do when you come across one or "your wife almost steps on one" or your kids get too close to one... Geesh... I didnt like the little snakes at hndlbrs Crazier cache and they were just tiny little g's...

What do you do when you come across one or "your wife almost steps on one" or your kids get too close to one...

You just walk around it. Actually, you are in more danger driving to the cache site than you are from rattlesnakes. The overwhelming majority of snake bites every year come because someone tried to handle the snake (and often involve alcohol). So stay sober, don't try to pick up the snake and you're safe.

I didnt even know we had Rattlers in PA - this may end my fascination with GCing... I grew up in good ole Seattle Wa and didnt see too many rattlers in my little urban area... but now I am out caching in these places... What do you do when you come across one or "your wife almost steps on one" or your kids get too close to one... Geesh... I didnt like the little snakes at hndlbrs Crazier cache and they were just tiny little g's...

This thread just won't die will it? sort of like a snake before sundown :P Yes there are two species of Rattlesnake in PA. The Timber Rattlesnake is the more common one and is found in the space between the Blue Ridge and westernmost of the Appalachians. The other species occupies a smalll area in the NW part of the state. The SEastern and extreme SWestern parts of the state are Rattlesnake free zones. The photo that started this thread is not of a Rattlesnake, but several of the others are. Rattlesnakes are not aggressive. They do their best to avoid human contact. Your chances of getting killed by a meteor are probably higher than by snakebite unless you get boozed up and try to dance with one. Dancing with a Rattlesnake in a meteor shower is almost certain death. :D