Magellan Contest

Got an answer today.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our contest. We will not be hosting the national Magellan geocaching contest this year.

Have a great day.

Angela Linsey-Jackson

Public Relations Manager

That's really surprising! There has always been a strong following for their contests. Granted, last year's addition of caches in Germany was a little less than well received, but there was still a lot of interest in the stateside caches. Sad to hear that Magellan won't be promoting a contest this year. :laughing:

Wow...we had a great time both of the last two years. Two years ago we were third last year we won! We didn't know about it until the contest had already started two years ago. Last year we were involved from the start and loved it!

I just googled for info yesterday but couldn't find anything. :laughing:

Wow, short reply.

No explanation on why. Maybe thier PR team needs a litte work! :laughing:

(And I love Magellan)

Maybe because they screwed it so bad last time? Maybe the next time they will actually ask a cacher advice. :laughing:

El Diablo

Actually, it was two or more years ago that they experienced problems. The 2005 contest went smoothly for the caches hidden from CA to NY to FL and many places in between. They used local cachers to hide the containers. I was fortunate enough to be 3TF on the St. Louis area cache.

I fear this may be another indicator of their desire to focus less on caching with handheld GPSr and more on GPS systems for vehicle mapping. :blink:

Got an answer today.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our contest. We will not be hosting the national Magellan geocaching contest this year.

Have a great day.

Angela Linsey-Jackson

Public Relations Manager

Since Magellan is exiting the handheld business, this should not be viewed as very surprisig news. :ph34r::huh::huh:

I for one will miss the magellan summer game. It was fun and met a lot of great cachers in the process. Just to clarify - Magellan did get local intell on their hides. There were a few glitches the first year - 03. Thought 04 and 05 games went very well . A true geo-funfilled time had by all. Thanks Magellan.

I don't think it's very smart for Garmin owners to gloat over Magellan's apparent demise in the handheld business. The competion between the two companies was one thing that brought about quite a few improvements in the handheld GPSr market. Regardless of what you may think of either brand, it all boils down to making money and the less they have to spend on R&D is more for the bottom line. Less competition hurts us all.

If Magellan is getting out of the hand held business, provided someone has a direct quote from the company, I'm not surpirsed they are getting into the automotive market. There are alot more people driving cars than any other activity. GPS recvicers in cars are beocoming very common in new model cars.

Since Magellan is exiting the handheld business, this should not be viewed as very surprisig news. :):laughing::(

Do you have a source to show that's accurate? It seems that way from the way they are acting but is it true in fact?

Not questioning you as much as it may sound, but since I'm getting close to buying a new GPS confirming this would help with the final decision, sure don't want an Explorist (really leaning to a Garmin) if Thales is giving up. Info would help, thanks.

Sorry for the bit of off topic post, but it would seem that Thales not supporting their contest just adds yet another nail in their handheld coffin. They seem to be trying to discourage interest in them by doing things like this.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Since Magellan is exiting the handheld business, this should not be viewed as very surprisig news. :laughing::(:)

Do you have a source to show that's accurate? It seems that way from the way they are acting but is it true in fact?

Not questioning you as much as it may sound, but since I'm getting close to buying a new GPS confirming this would help with the final decision, sure don't want an Explorist (really leaning to a Garmin) if Thales is giving up. Info would help, thanks.

Sorry for the bit of off topic post, but it would seem that Thales not supporting their contest just adds yet another nail in their handheld coffin. They seem to be trying to discourage interest in them by doing things like this.

JDandDD

If my memory serves me right, I remember reading an article in the WSJ maybe 6 months back that said Thales was considering selling off their consumer division (Magellan). If that is in fact the case then Magellan would most likely not stop making consumer GPS's but may just be owned by someone else. But then again I could be completely wrong!!

If Magellan is getting out of the hand held business, provided someone has a direct quote from the company, I'm not surpirsed they are getting into the automotive market. There are alot more people driving cars than any other activity. GPS recvicers in cars are beocoming very common in new model cars.

I hope not i have explorist 210 i just bought and i perfer it of the garmins of the same price range. Also more compitetion the cheaper the prices on all gps's

Wow, short reply.

No explanation on why. Maybe thier PR team needs a litte work! :ph34r:

(And I love Magellan)

Maybe because they screwed it so bad last time? Maybe the next time they will actually ask a cacher advice. :anicute:

El Diablo

Actaully, I had heard fom a reliable source that they had ALL geocaching volunteers working on their contest for the last two years. They learned from their first year.