Dnf

carolalma

After I have logged a DNF once on a cache, should I log DNF's each time I go back for another attempt? These trips could go on for a long time and I do want to be honest, but it seems silly to "clog" the logs with the same thing until I find it. What do the rest of you do?

If the cache is really THAT hard, then it's appropriate to show this through a DNF. Or two or three.

However, I wonder at the fact that you anticipate a DNF. Why not anticipate a find? Sometimes it's all in the perspective.

Edited by wesleykey

If you searched for it once or thrice, you can choose to leave a dnf log for each visit. Many don't. Some will state in thier find log that they had been there before yet there is no dnf log, or some will delete the dnf log after the find, which I think takes away from the cache.

I have several caches that I've tried atleast two times and left DNF's each time.

On those caches that I own I don't consider the DNF's to be clutter, they are part of the story and I think help to back up the fact that the cache is not going to be a park and grab for most.

Edited by Rick618

I have been a cacher since January of this year. I log DNFs after I feel I have given it a good effort. There have been times where my wife and I have briefly searched for a cache but had to break off the search because of a muggle or because of weather or other such things. On those we don't log a DNF yet, we go back and try again and if we still can't find it then we log a DNF.

DNF's give the cache owner valuable info. Particularly in letting them know when they need to check on their cache. I appreciate DNFs and Notes in the logs on my caches. I also try to leave notes sometimes on a cache if it applies. Particularly if I run into something the cache owner may or may not know about.

So feel free to log DNF's as often as you feel you need to. Most cache owners won't mind. Some may even volunteer help to you if you seem to be struggling with a cache. And don't think that DNF's reflective negatively on your stats. If you aren't logging DNF's then you aren't caching hard enough! :ph34r:

Even the most seasoned cachers DNF.

Each visit without a find deserves a DNF log. I don't see any problem with multiple DNF logs, some can be very funny to read. I've posted 2-3 DNF's on a 1* cache and the most was 6 DNF's on a 4.5* long multi - I did indicate on my first DNF log that I would log "several" DNF's until I was finished.

Yes it does take some time to log a DNF and you don't get the smiley but it does provide information to the owner and others who are considering seeking the cache.

Yes it does take some time to log a DNF and you don't get the smiley but it does provide information to the owner and others who are considering seeking the cache.

True, you don't get the smiley, but you get a frowny face. And if you turn that frown upside down....

I log every DNF, everytime I search for it.

After I have logged a DNF once on a cache, should I log DNF's each time I go back for another attempt? These trips could go on for a long time and I do want to be honest, but it seems silly to "clog" the logs with the same thing until I find it. What do the rest of you do?

Yes, if I have made multiple visits to find a cache, and I got to spend "sufficient and ample" time on each vist, I file a DNF each time. As I have written before, I put every bit as much heart and care into writing my DNFs as I do into my find logs, and they are every bit as humorous!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

As a cache owner, I appreciate the feedback provided by DNF logs. As a cache finder, I "do unto others" and log a DNF for every unsuccessful search attempt. However, if I discover that I was searching the wrong location (I don't use a GPSr and sometimes I misremember the satellite photo landmarks), or if I can't actually search the area for some reason, then I won't log a DNF. If I log anything in those situations, I log a Note.

My logging the first DNF depends on the situation. Sometimes I feel like I am having a stupid cacher day. Sometimes it gets dark too soon and the terrain is to rough for a night find even with a flashlight. Sometimes my wife has a full bladder before I find the cache. Sometimes it is too wet or too cold. Sometimes I don't have enough water. Sometimes too many muggles. I figure for these things a DNF will not help.

If I'm just having a stupid day I may sometimes just post an informational note.

I will post a DNF if it is difficult, if it is a puzzle I might have gotten wrong, if I can't find it and I think I should have, if I think the cache may have been missing, if I've scoured the entire area thoroughly, if reception is poor under the trees.

I've never thought of logging multiple DNFs. Maybe I should.

Thanks for the replies. I'm certainly not ashamed of DNF's, just wondered about it. And I asked, not because I am "anticipating" them, but because I'll be posting my second one now that I've received the consensus. And if it happens to take more visits then I'll post the next ones, too. I appreciate the comments. This is a great forum!

It didn't make sense to log that many DNF's in a row with no one else finding it inbetween.
Yeah, that's probably a good time to post an occasional summary log: "I've been here 5 times this week, for a total of 3 hours, but haven't found it yet."

Or something like that...

I log every single DNF, every time I search.

I had one cache with 5 DNF logs before I found it.

Ed

As the recent placer of a hydrocache I enjoy reading all logs, and DNF's the most (helps that no one has found it yet :laughing: ) in fact the first two helped me to up the difficulty, and alter the cache page about boating regulations. Try to log it every time, even if you forget to log your finds.

that reminds me......