Such A Newbie!

BrklynDox

:o Have never even held a GPS until I opened the box today containing my brand new Vista Cx. The manual is more than Greek to me, it is perfectly alien, as in from beyond any satellite. So my question, simply put, is how do I change my current location from the default of TaiWan?

Please be kind with your responses......and laugh offline. :sad:

WELCOME!!!

As with anything new, it will take a little time to familiarize yourself with all it's functions, terminology & features. The physics & technology behind GPS is extremely complex. HOWEVER, the good news is that the user does NOT need to understand all these nuances.

Read thru your manual..cover to cover.. at least twice Then review the sections giving you trouble again. Also read all the online FAQ's 1 and FAQ's 2.

These are great primers into the world of Geocaching. Asking questions right here is the best place to get good answers. 99% of the regulars here will help in any way they can.

Try to attend a local event, meet & greet some local & ask questions. Find an established cacher in your area to team up with for a few hunts..trust me...you'll do fine. Just takes a little time to learn.

Best wishes & Happy caching :ph34r:

JW

Thank you for your suggestions! I did manage to acquire enough sat power to get my GPS situated correctly, so now the time, date and location are under control. The GPS is so complex, I have lots of learning to do, but look forward to a simple, first cache hunt this weekend. :lol:

Any cache teams in Brooklyn reading this....please respond! :tired:

All good advice so far and it seems you are getting up and running. I'm not familiar with your model, but mine has a lot of bells and whistles. When I was new, I was also confused. But like anything else, just start with the stuff that is basic and then get into the more complex things (I know it all seems complex). Then you can slowly expand your capabilities. You need to turn it on, you need to enter waypoints, you need to find out how to point to the cache. Then you can work on the rest. Let's face it, if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. Good luck and welcome.