National Geographic Topo And Waypoints

I just received the topo software for National Geographics and it rocks! However, when I input a waypoint file it shows the gcXXXX and the latitude and longitude on the map. How do I just have the GCXXXX and not the lat/longitude?

Thanks in advance!

R

Never mind

Edited by Klatch

I just received the topo software for National Geographics and it rocks! However, when I input a waypoint file it shows the gcXXXX and the latitude and longitude on the map. How do I just have the GCXXXX and not the lat/longitude?

Thanks in advance!

R

Not sure what you mean; are you downloading waypoints from your GPSr?

Have you considered using GSAK to get 10 alpha-numeric smart names rather than the GCxxxx name ofr a waypoint. GSAK converts it so that the smartname goes into your GPS as well as on the Topo map to make it all easier to know which waypoint cache is which.

Have you considered using GSAK to get 10 alpha-numeric smart names rather than the GCxxxx name ofr a waypoint. GSAK converts it so that the smartname goes into your GPS as well as on the Topo map to make it all easier to know which waypoint cache is which.

GSAK is handy to convert GPS to NG Topo waypoint files(among others). I think it defaults to the smart names. It took me half an hour to figure out how to get it to export GC numbers. :sad:

GSAK is handy to convert GPS to NG Topo waypoint files(among others). I think it defaults to the smart names. It took me half an hour to figure out how to get it to export GC numbers. <_<

An even better approach is to use GSAK'S %Drop2 name. This gets rid of GC, but leaves the rest of the waypoint.

e6c506f5-d149-4aee-957d-87d72b046dfb.jpg

How do you guys compare national geographic top to garmin's topo software?

NG Topo has 1:24,000 scale mapping, where Garmin's MapSource US Topo is 1: 100,000, unless you get the National Parks coverage, which is then 1:24K.

Does it have good enough streets that I could just use it instead of buying metro guide and garmin topo?

No. It is basically USGS topo with most roads shown. These maps are quite dated since topography changes little over time, and new roads, subdivisons, etc are not there. You can only use it to plan and view onscreen and create waypoints and routes for uploading. NG Topo can not be uploaded to your GPSr, only Garmin mapping products can be.

Does it auto route?

No.

Can I download them to a gps and then use the gps to auto route function? Thanyou!

No, as stated above.