Member Feature/file Storage

I have a new cache that I am trying to create, it involves executing a small/simple, text adventure game (ZORK like) that I wrote in C. You have to run the executable, solve some puzzles, if you do thing correctly, you are given the real coordinates of the geocache. Source code is available to anyone interested in creating one of their own. Contact me if you want the source.

One probelm is that I have to host the executable off site (in my personal webpage). This is fround apon because, all the info needed to solve a puzzle should be available at geocaching.com.

The second & third problem is that users have to trust that this application does not contain a virus, and this

executable is a windows console application, therefore only runs under windows. The solution to these 2 concerns is that source code will be available to anyone who wants it. Of course I don't want the source code easily available, limiting access would make it harder for people to cheat. I could zip it up with a password, and you have find a container somewhere with the password in it. If you don't live in state, and contact me, I would just give you the source. This seems exceptionally elaberate, but theoritaclly, it is a way around the problem.

The unresolved issue is where the executable&sourde is stored.

So, how about a small file storage area available to premium members, either on geocaching.com, or at an approved site?

SomewhereInND

This has security hole written all over it.

Maybe you should come up with a better web friendly version of the game instead of convincing Groundspeak to change their system. I could see a site similar to those sites where you can upload a picture and create a flash puzzle. You can enter coordinates, and the program will create a game for you with a unique URL.

Yeah, I know, there are always concerns with security, but like I said, If security is a concern to you, download the source.

This problem also showed up on another cache I created, I had a bitmap with some data embedded in the image, when it got converted to jpeg, it lost some of the info. That bitmap ended up being hosted on my web page.

I am just looking for a way to resolve the issue.

could always do flash based it's simple stuff and fun to play with. :sad:

Forgot to mention Zork Rocks I still play it sometimes!

Thats true, but you still have the original problem that my suggestion was trying to resolve.

That is where do you host the flash based program? Currently, you can't host it on the geocaching website.

Providing the source is no guarantee for the average person. They're not going to be able to compile their own copies, or have any way of confirming that the executable comes from that source.

Then consider it to be an extra difficult puzzle for the 'average person'. Not all puzzles are solvable by all people.

But this is getting off topic, I am really trying to resolve 'how do you host non standard files on geocaching.com'. Be it flash based, c based, non jpg images, etc.....

Actually you can host it on freewebs no banners no popups thats where I host a little game on my profile page but you gotta find it. :sad:

I have a executable (and if needed c source), Off site, with a link to it, if you click the link you can open or save file(s) directly toi your computer. No ads appear. ads are not a problem.

I was told that 'off site' is the problem.

[...]

I was told that 'off site' is the problem.

Your local approver rejected a puzzle cache because it's partially off-site? If so, that's not a universal policy.

I've seen dozens, maybe even hundreds, of puzzle caches with graphics, executables, etc. that are hosted somewhere else and linked from the cache page.

1. The information required to solve a puzzle cache must be on the cache page or referenced from the cache page (for example, giving you a clue that sends you to google something).

2. Graphics hosted offsite, and displayed on the cache page, are fine. Executable programs (anything requiring a software download) are problematic.

3. Only .JPG graphics files can be hosted on Geocaching.com.

TPTB seem to have deemed that puzzles that require you to download a specific executable program from any site won't be allowed. I think this is an unfortunate decision. I've seen many puzzles that have required you to download a program. There are a couple based on Zork-like games that have required downloading the Infocom engine to play. I saw a recent one with an Enigma-machine code that was having trouble getting approved because the puzzle author suggested a particular Enigma machine applet! That suprised me as Java applets, flash animations, and the like are generally allow by reviewers in my area. Personally I feel that just like taking the risk when you go caching, you take the risk when you download a puzzle. At least here, if there were a complaint that software needed for a puzzle contained a virus or spyware, the cache be archived. There is no reason a priori ban the puzzle. In addition, the cache owners maintenance responsibilities would include making sure that the software needed to solve the puzzle remains available and would be expected to archive or modify the puzzle if that changed. Finally there is the issue of having to have the correct machine and operating system along with any adminstrative priveleges needed to install and run the software. If a puzzle requires something more than a web-based application using a commonly used plugin, it would have to be a 5 star difficulty as special equipment or skill is needed.

Edited by tozainamboku

...because the puzzle author suggested a particular Enigma machine applet...

...you take the risk when you download a puzzle...

...if there were a complaint...the cache be archived..

That was my thoughts when I first ran into this probelm, especially if the first one was just a suggestion.

But again, I am trying to resolve her big issue of off site storage. The solution to all other concerns (security, platform, etc...) is to provide the source, and currently there is no support for onsite storage.

What if you were to make it a telnet application? If it's purely a text-only zork style game that is. No executable to download, but an ip to telnet to. Of course you'd need an always-on internet connection, but bandwidth for that wouldn't be an issue. Not sure if that would be acceptable or not, but it sounds like a better option to me. It shouldn't be hard to convert to a telnet application either.

What if you were to make it a telnet application? If it's purely a text-only zork style game that is. No executable to download, but an ip to telnet to. Of course you'd need an always-on internet connection, but bandwidth for that wouldn't be an issue. Not sure if that would be acceptable or not, but it sounds like a better option to me. It shouldn't be hard to convert to a telnet application either.

Again.....the problem is you have to store this source off site.

Providing the source is no guarantee for the average person. They're not going to be able to compile their own copies, or have any way of confirming that the executable comes from that source.

Then consider it to be an extra difficult puzzle for the 'average person'. Not all puzzles are solvable by all people.

But this is getting off topic, I am really trying to resolve 'how do you host non standard files on geocaching.com'. Be it flash based, c based, non jpg images, etc.....

Confirming that a download isn't going to crash your PC or steal your passwords has nothing to do with solving the puzzle. And it's not off topic. This sort of thing is one of several reasons why off-site hosting is an issue.

Confirming that a download isn't going to crash your PC or steal your passwords has nothing to do with solving the puzzle. And it's not off topic. This sort of thing is one of several reasons why off-site hosting is an issue.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way, what I meant by off topic, is that my intent of the original post was to resolve the off site part of the problem. So far all the responses to my original post has been security, use java, use telnet, etc...

No matter what you use, security is always an issue, if you use the internet for anything, security is an issue, if you use java, security is an issue. When you geocache, security is an issue (non computer related).

OK I THINK THERE IS A SOLUTION

My approver talked among other approvers, and they came up with the following.

I can provide a link to a offsite javascript, but I have to give a warning that it is off site, and I also have to provide an onsite alternative, such as go to this location, where you will find final coords, etc...