Copy Cat Caches

UOTrackers

Every now and then I see referrences to caches that sound pretty awesome, but, inevitably they are some 2000 miles away! Is it ok to write to a cache owner for info on how to replicate their cache based on the great reviews you've read on them? AND If you were the cache owner what would you say?

I have one fairly unique cache that I've pretty much "franchised." There are now authorized versions in four other states, and geocachers are working on hides in at least five additional states. I am flattered when someone asks me to borrow an idea, and I've never said no. I would likely say no if the copycat hide were within 150 miles of my version. Also I prefer sharing the idea with friends I've met at events, through the forums, etc.

Now, if someone just went and copied it without asking, I'd be ruffled. But there's not much I could do about it other than whine in a log, which is not a good use of energy. Ideas aren't patented and I am sure that people in lots of different places come up with the same "original" idea independently.

I have also borrowed ideas from others, to introduce an evil hide to my home area that I saw elsewhere. I always ask whether they would like recognition on the cache page. Most say no, because that would be a hint!

Edited by The Leprechauns

First: There's nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9-14

Do I copy caches that I like? Sure, but not too close. Saw a great idea in New Hampshire. Copied the concept to New Jersey. Gave credit to cache owner I copied it from, though there are many of them out there. So it was not original. But it was an interesting idea.

Found a spot that I decided to put a cache it. Okay, this is the only way to do it. A little bit of craftmanship by a friend of mine. I get logs ranging from "This is very creative" to "I've seen this many time before." None of which is really relevant. It was the only way I could think of to hide a cache at this location, with the tremendous views.

Semi-original mystery cache ideas, on the other fin, should probably only be one with the sanction of the originator.

It's going to depend.

If you go to another area and see a hiding style in common use, there is no need to ask to use it in your area.

If you have found a one of a kind original cache that you have never seen before, I'd ask. Most owners are more than happy to see their idea spread.

I've been working on a cache for the past year. It was unique when I started, others with more inspiration and time gone on to places very similar caches while mine is still on the drawing board. I'm not going to ask them. I'm just going to slowly pull it together and place mine when it's ready.

It's also ok to have an orginal (to you) thought and find out that it's a copy of what someone else did. It's not like you did it intensionally. Someone did the first URP after all...

I think that talking to the owner is a nice gesture, and prefer when the ideas aren't taken from other caches in close proximity, but there's no rule against it.

We have a cacher in our area that is mass placing caches and can't seem to think of an idea of his own, it's starting to get a little annoying (ok, alot).

I located a cache on the web I liked.. I did several searches looking for those that were similar. I ended up with only 3 that utilized the concept. I sent a note to each owner asking if they would be willing to share some insight as to how they accomplished this cache. I have rec'd 2 replies & both were very positive, full of details & apprecation that I asked.

So suffice it to say in a few weeks theres gonna be an evil plan hatched in eastern Maine :ph34r::ph34r:;)

So IMHO it pays to ask..

JW

First, I feel that there is truly nothing new in the universe, and so I feel that in the area of geocaches, no none needs to ask my permission to "copy" any of my cache ideas or themes. In fact, much as others have said, I enjoy seeing others use similar ideas to those emboidied in my hides. And, in any case, no two caches/hides are ever identical, anyway; there are always some differences!

Having said that, I have learned (from the cache hiders themselves) that several cache hiders have created caches similar to caches found in our Psycho Urban Cache series. These newer caches have appeared in Maryland and in several nearby states, and I feel very flattered! Some of the series even have names which are similar, such as "Psycho Urban Erie..." or "Psycho Exurban Cache". In all cases, we have felt flattered, and have much enjoyed this phenomenon. In none of these cases did we feel that it was advisable for anyone to have asked our permission before creating them! It is a free world!

Enjoy!

And where did that person get the idea? All good ideas are stolen. Is the cache copywritten? Take an idea, make it your own and run with it. It's the american way. Chances are people have already seen it. Ask people that have found 1,000+ and they will tell you that even though every cache is different, they are all the same.

^^ike