[reservation] Double Dragon Geocoin!

ozymandiasism

OK. Finally, after a couple of months of intense prep work… my first geocoin is READY!

Behold…

Double Dragon Geocoin!

Front*

152737418_80823c40b4_o.jpg

* Please note that only the two-tones option would have the silver dragon effect.

Back

152737419_52640a6ff5_o.jpg

I am now taking RESERVATIONS for the Double Dragon Geocoin! Click here dwprods.com to reserve your coins today! The coins have not been ordered from the coin mint so this reservation process will give me a rough idea of the quantity. Order will be placed in a couple of weeks or so. Buyer should expect receiving coins in Early July.

Coin stats:

Diameter: 1.75"

Thickness: 3mm

Metal: I have not decided on metal yet, but the options are: Gold, Antique Silver; Antique Copper, or Two-tones (Gold/Nickel Dragons)

If you have a strong preference, make sure you put it in the comment field!

Trackable on geocaching.com

Custom prefix tracking code (DWXXXX)

Custom icon

Estimate Shipping Date: Early July, 2006

Coin Sales and Shipping Information:

Domestic Sales

1 coin: $10.00

2-5 coins: $9.40 ea

6-10 coins: $9.00 ea

11-15 coins: $8.75 ea

15+ coins: $8.50 ea

FREE Shipping and Handling (domestic only)

FREE Delivery Confirmation (domestic only)

Residents in state of CA adds 8.25% sales tax

Optional Domestic Insurance Available

1-5 coins: $1.50

6-10 coins: $2.50

11-20 coins: $3.50

Shipping to Canada

Add $1.00 for first coin, $0.50 for each additional coin, per order

Shipping Outside US and Canda

Add $2.00 for first coin, $1.00 for ach additional coin, per order

All sales in USD.

PayPal (credit card accepted) strongly preferred. However, cashier checks are also accepted (Please contact me at derek@dwprods.com for details)

Faster shipping available upon request.

Reserve your Double Dragon Geocoin now!

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at derek@dwprods.com!

I am using a coin mint in China which was referred by a fellow coin designer from this forum (and he made some REAL nice coins). Most coin vendors in the US do not make their own coins.

I have the options of using Brass or Zinc Alloy as the base metal. Brass is a much heavier metal which uses a die struck mold, and can give better details on coins; whereas Zinc Alloy uses injection (I have no idea how) and is lighter. Given the complexity of the coin, I have decided to use Brass. Will definitely make the coins look better!

And yes, brass costs almost twice as much as zinc alloy

chalk up another for the lame coin category. If you want us to part with the cash, you should put a little more work into it. No tie-in; what's the point?

I respect your view on geocoins and your passion for the sport. What I am doing is creating a coin that is love by some and not by others. If it's your cup of tea... great! If not, don't buy it.

Thank you.

Can you give a description ( or meaning anyway ) of both sides of the coin and what inspired you to go with this design?

Thanks.

I have always loved dragons and thought it would be cool to creating a design based on that. And since it has a ying yang background, I thought it would be neat to have an ancient chinese landscape type background as well.... I am toying with the idea of making a series of dragon geocoins, but nothing is set in stone yet. We shall see!

Thanks for the inquiry

I am using a coin mint in China which was referred by a fellow coin designer from this forum (and he made some REAL nice coins). Most coin vendors in the US do not make their own coins.

Are you dealing directly with the mint? Some of the makers in the U.S. that use the same mint in China have significantly different results. There's value in expertise.

Are you dealing directly with the mint? Some of the makers in the U.S. that use the same mint in China have significantly different results. There's value in expertise.

Yes. I will submit the design to the mint tonight/tomorrow and I shall have my proof in a couple of weeks! YAY! Worst case scenario. If quality is not up to standard, I will find one that is.

Hi folks!!

This is a beautiful coin!

Why do folks constantly want to downgrade another's work?

If you do not like the coin,or price,no need to be nasty,do not buy!

As for ourselves,we will take 6 of these beauties!

GREAT work!!!

R3 & BH :sad:

Actually I said the work was nice for a coin. It is a shame that it is being called a Geocoin since the only tie in is the tracking number. Maybe you havn't been in the coin game for a long enough period to remember when coins actually had meaning other than someone minting it for the sole purpose of cashing in on the craze. When coins are being minted, regardless of how well they are designed, and being sold for $10 a pop, and have no more tie in to caching than the tracking number, then it's not a Geocoin in the true sense of the word, at least to myself and a lot of others. Myself and others will continue to call it as we see it, and hopefully the newer collectors won't waste their money on coins being masked as Geocoins. It's not downgrading the other's work as you put it, but rather is feedback from consumers, which at this point is all we are, consumers in a buisness transaction. Stop thinking these sellers are your caching buddy when they are taking you for $3-5 on each coin they sell you.

Hi folks!!

This is a beautiful coin!

Why do folks constantly want to downgrade another's work?

If you do not like the coin,or price,no need to be nasty,do not buy!

As for ourselves,we will take 6 of these beauties!

GREAT work!!!

R3 & BH :sad:

I don't think anybody is putting down the work. It goes back to what some of us think a "geocoin" is. Since this doesn't even have the cacher's name on it it's hard to make the connection.

Could it be sold elsewhere to coin collectors who collect dragons? Sure.

Is it appropriate to sell here in the geocaching forums? There's a lot of disagreement and I'm personally tired of everybody saying "if you don't like it don't buy it". It's a cop out and skirting the issue that is being brought up about relevancy.

I suppose you could say "I like caching and I like dragons", but I like pizza and peanut butter and won't be mixing them anytime soon.

As long as the posts are positive it's OK to speak your mind, but heaven forbid if somebody disagrees.

No one is disputing the $1.50 to Groundspeak. We all know that fee is included in each trackable coin. That still doesn't make the coin cost anywhere near $10 and you know that as well as anyone here.

You are correct.

I just allow the free market to set the price of a coin. I am a big fan of Adam Smith. When I see a coin I like, I buy it. I dont see it is my place to tell others not to buy a coin.

I like pizza and peanut butter and won't be mixing them anytime soon.

A pizza and peanut butter coin? Two please.

A pizza coin might turn out nice especially if you get a combo - all those colors. But I don't think peanut butter would work. :sad:

Toponym

OK. Finally, after a couple of months of intense prep work… my first geocoin is READY!

Behold…

Double Dragon Geocoin!

Front*

152737418_80823c40b4_o.jpg

* Please note that only the two-tones option would have the silver dragon effect.

Back

152737419_52640a6ff5_o.jpg

I am now taking RESERVATIONS for the Double Dragon Geocoin! Click here dwprods.com to reserve your coins today! The coins have not been ordered from the coin mint so this reservation process will give me a rough idea of the quantity. Order will be placed in a couple of weeks or so. Buyer should expect receiving coins in Early July.

Coin stats:

Diameter: 1.75"

Thickness: 3mm

Metal: I have not decided on metal yet, but the options are: Gold, Antique Silver; Antique Copper, or Two-tones (Gold/Nickel Dragons)

If you have a strong preference, make sure you put it in the comment field!

Trackable on geocaching.com

Custom prefix tracking code (DWXXXX)

Custom icon

Estimate Shipping Date: Early July, 2006

Coin Sales and Shipping Information:

Domestic Sales

1 coin: $10.00

2-5 coins: $9.40 ea

6-10 coins: $9.00 ea

11-15 coins: $8.75 ea

15+ coins: $8.50 ea

FREE Shipping and Handling (domestic only)

FREE Delivery Confirmation (domestic only)

Residents in state of CA adds 8.25% sales tax

Optional Domestic Insurance Available

1-5 coins: $1.50

6-10 coins: $2.50

11-20 coins: $3.50

Shipping to Canada

Add $1.00 for first coin, $0.50 for each additional coin, per order

Shipping Outside US and Canda

Add $2.00 for first coin, $1.00 for ach additional coin, per order

All sales in USD.

PayPal (credit card accepted) strongly preferred. However, cashier checks are also accepted (Please contact me at derek@dwprods.com for details)

Faster shipping available upon request.

Reserve your Double Dragon Geocoin now!

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at derek@dwprods.com!

Nice coin. :sad: I'll take one.

Toponym

A pizza coin might turn out nice especially if you get a combo - all those colors. But I don't think peanut butter would work. :sad:

Toponym

OOOOO a Hawaiian pizza....

Toponym

Mmmm, pineapple and ham. You know what's even better, pineapple and bacon. That's our favorite.

BTW, nobody in Hawaii eats Hawaiian pizza. :o

Toponym

Mmmm, pineapple and ham. You know what's even better, pineapple and bacon. That's our favorite.

BTW, nobody in Hawaii eats Hawaiian pizza. :o

Do you blame them? Too bad you can't get a loco moco pizza. But, I'll bet they eat spam pizza

Edited by Shop99er

Now that would be a coin.

I geocache. I eat Pizza after I Geocache. I eat Pizza at the Geocoin Events in the Bay Area!

mmmmm I think I will do one! :sad:.

GeoPizzaCoin

You'll need something good for the reverse. Hmm, let's see, what goes good with Pizza? Beer! You could have 300 LE with a beer mug on one side for the adults and another LE for the kids with root beer on the reverse! :o

If you don't do it, I just might.

Now that would be a coin.

I geocache. I eat Pizza after I Geocache. I eat Pizza at the Geocoin Events in the Bay Area!

mmmmm I think I will do one! :sad:.

GeoPizzaCoin

You'll need something good for the reverse. Hmm, let's see, what goes good with Pizza? Beer! You could have 300 LE with a beer mug on one side for the adults and another LE for the kids with root beer on the reverse! :o

If you don't do it, I just might.

There is already a geo-coin with a beer mug on one side :o

No one is disputing the $1.50 to Groundspeak. We all know that fee is included in each trackable coin. That still doesn't make the coin cost anywhere near $10 and you know that as well as anyone here.

You are correct.

I just allow the free market to set the price of a coin. I am a big fan of Adam Smith. When I see a coin I like, I buy it. I dont see it is my place to tell others not to buy a coin.

Your post almost infers that I have told others what to buy or not buy, and that is simply not true. I hope that's not how you meant it. I don't think I have any pull here so I would be hard pressed to think that anything I say can be taken as telling others what not to buy.

I have always, and will always voice my personal opinions as what I feel is a Geocoin and what isn't. Like in any good conversation, there needs to be views from both sides expressed. How much fun is a conversation where we all just praise someone or something? That would be kind of fake wouldn't it?

Derek - Are you producing a single coin or multiple coins with different metals SE, LE, ELE, XLE, etc, etc?

It would be nice to know what the metal will be or metals if there will be more than one coin.

hey there... I just sent you an email :laughing:

What exactly is SE, LE, ELE, and XLE? I thought I was selling cars for a second.... LOL

So far, from all the reservations I have received, 2-tones is by far the winner of all metal choice (antique copper is runner-up). I can definitely say that 2-tones would be one of the sure plating. I will be receiving samples from the coin mint in a couple of weeks and I will determine which, if any, ther plating type would be made as well.

Thanks again!!!