Why Can't Anyone Keep A Thread OT?!?

Thirdly, labeling your own post TROLL ALERT automagically makes you look like a firestarter, and thus not worthy of paying attention to - you hinder your cause rather than rally support.

Finally, arguments are rarely won over teh interwebs. More often than not it becomes blowhards yipping like dogs back and forth, saying nothing constructive (and doing both sides harm).

It's always possible that's the intention to begin with - no rallying for support, just doing both sides harm. I've seen so-called Geociders do that.

I take a different approach - I expect people to drift off-topic. It helps me ignore and gloss over a lot of threads. When a thread stays on topic, I get the euphoria of a pleasant surprise. :sad:

I think you are referring to my post in the duck murdering topic right? It just really peeves me off when I see people going ON AND ON AND ON about these poor little ducks that got killed, when you know as well as me that the majority of the people shedding tears over the little ducks are "PRO CHOICE", or in other words "PRO ABORTION".

I wrote on the topic because like I said, it makes me upset. Same thing with the people who think that a spotted owl is more important than human life (or at least they act like it).

YES, it's sad that a poor little ducky got abused and killed, but what about the 1 million babies that are killed every MONTH. That's all I'm saying. I just wanted to put the "Shed a tear for a duck" conversation in perspective.

The post was on topic in my opinion. Go back and read the duck conversation with what I'm talking about here and maybe that will help you put it into the proper perspective. And keep in mind that the majority of people posting in that thread probably would tell you that abortion is "A choice", whereas the duck murderers ought to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Anyone else smell the hypocrocy here?

R or N, I probably agree with you more than you know. I too am a pro-life Christian. Still, the way you went about your argument was inflammatory--more likely to anger people (Who are showing Christ-like compassion toward one of God's creations) than to change any minds. God's grace, and indignation, is big enough for the ducks and the babies. You sell Him short, as well as the posters.

Now let me take my bag of micro's and toss one in every parking lot I can find...

Oh, and...

e411a74b-53d7-4d3b-a7e8-18655cf56731.jpg

...Like I said, "BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Some kind of argument. If you want your opinion to be read and taken seriously, you can't do that.

No one is interested in carrying on a conversation on merits now are they? It's so blatantly obvious the hypocrocy going on that noone is willing to discuss it. I love the comparison between my conversation and abortion clinic bombings.. BRAVO! That was from the poster with the cross on his avatar.

The topic was: "A couple sicko's killing innocent ducks"

My topic: "Killing innocent babies".. Somehow it's okay to discuss and shed tears in the geocaching forum over dead ducks, but I bring up dead babies and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy???

Can someone please explain how killing baby ducks has anything to do with geocaching? While I was out grabbing a cache today, i'm sure more human babies dies than ducks..

You wrote "If you want your opinion to be read and taken seriously......"... Serious enough for you?

Sorry...... Let's get back on topic and discuss how those evil Duck killers should be thrown in prison for life.

I think you are referring to my post in the duck murdering topic right? It just really peeves me off when I see people going ON AND ON AND ON about these poor little ducks that got killed, when you know as well as me that the majority of the people shedding tears over the little ducks are "PRO CHOICE", or in other words "PRO ABORTION".

I wrote on the topic because like I said, it makes me upset. Same thing with the people who think that a spotted owl is more important than human life (or at least they act like it).

YES, it's sad that a poor little ducky got abused and killed, but what about the 1 million babies that are killed every MONTH. That's all I'm saying. I just wanted to put the "Shed a tear for a duck" conversation in perspective.

The post was on topic in my opinion. Go back and read the duck conversation with what I'm talking about here and maybe that will help you put it into the proper perspective. And keep in mind that the majority of people posting in that thread probably would tell you that abortion is "A choice", whereas the duck murderers ought to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Anyone else smell the hypocrocy here?

R or N, I probably agree with you more than you know. I too am a pro-life Christian. Still, the way you went about your argument was inflammatory--more likely to anger people (Who are showing Christ-like compassion toward one of God's creations) than to change any minds. God's grace, and indignation, is big enough for the ducks and the babies. You sell Him short, as well as the posters.

Now let me take my bag of micro's and toss one in every parking lot I can find...

Oh, and...

e411a74b-53d7-4d3b-a7e8-18655cf56731.jpg

Don't misunderstand me. 99% of the issues that are out there, I have a high degree of compassion and patience. God loves everyone regardless of the choices they make in life. Heck, God even loves those that don't even acknowledge his existence. I just recently had an abortion debate with a person who was involved with PETA and let's just say it has been at the forefront of my mind. How this person could with a straight face tell me that we shouldn't eat fish because "Fish" have feelings, yet in the same breath tell me that a baby can be exterminated if someone makes the "Choice".. Perhaps I mistakenly blew off some of my frustrations and I apologize for that.

Personally, I think we as Christians are too "Tolerant" and passive when it comes to these issues. The other side is constantly fighting while we lay down and let them win battle after battle because we don't want to be viewed as "Fundamentalists". Someone needs to fight for those that cannot fight for themselves. We both know that Christ would have fought endlessly and tirelessly for innocent children. The other side thinks we are quacks regardless, so we ought to at least stand up for what we believe. Then we can at least be quacks that truly believe what they are saying and practice what they preach.

Fight the good fight fellow quacks!!!!

[At the current rate, roughly 25 unborn children were aborted while you read this message]

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Sorry, I needed to vent...

I feel like GOING ALL CAPS HERE, but I won't.

Look at my avatar...yes, I'm a Christian. HOWEVER, that does not mean I try to throw that in every conversation I enter in to. While my I try to center my decisions and my life around my faith, I am not 1 dimensional. I can carry a conversation, and offer my own insights without throwing my personal agenda into the mix.

So, by your rationale, it would not be appropriate for ReadyOrNot to inject his belief into that thread, but it would be A-OK for him to use his AVATAR to push his agenda?

I have asked ReadyOrNot to refrain from further posts to this topic. He's now succeeded in taking TWO threads off topic. I will now ask the rest of you to refrain from replying to his substantive points about abortion, which belong in the Off Topic forum.

Please continue to discuss forum etiquette to your heart's content. Thank you.

I have asked ReadyOrNot to refrain from further posts to this topic. He's now succeeded in taking TWO threads off topic. I will now ask the rest of you to refrain from replying to his substantive points about abortion, which belong in the Off Topic forum.

Please continue to discuss forum etiquette to your heart's content. Thank you.

Thank you very much for managing this matter!

For this, I will even forgive you for having chronically and regularly supplied Chemical X to the shadowy husk of the poor being once known as Signal the Forg.

Look at my avatar...yes, I'm a Christian. HOWEVER, that does not mean I try to throw that in every conversation I enter in to. While my I try to center my decisions and my life around my faith, I am not 1 dimensional. I can carry a conversation, and offer my own insights without throwing my personal agenda into the mix.

So, by your rationale, it would not be appropriate for ReadyOrNot to inject his belief into that thread, but it would be A-OK for him to use his AVATAR to push his agenda?

So, are you saying by having that avatar I am trying to push my agenda?

I just liked the picture, and thought it was a good representation of who I want to be.

I don't look at your avatar and assume you want me to get a parrot...

:ph34r: Nice comeback.

I will say this... when I see a post from Vinny, it makes me want to crawl into a hole! :ph34r:

Seriously, fairly wide latitude is allowed in one's choice of avatars and signature lines. The moderators will, on rare occasions, ask a user to make changes in order to comply with the site's Terms of Use or the Forum Guidelines.

. . .Look at my avatar...yes, I'm a Christian. HOWEVER, that does not mean I try to throw that in every conversation I enter in to. While my I try to center my decisions and my life around my faith, I am not 1 dimensional. I can carry a conversation, and offer my own insights without throwing my personal agenda into the mix.

I just liked the picture, and thought it was a good representation of who I want to be.

Cornerstone4, may I offer my perspective on your avatar? While I consider myself to be very spiritual, I do not happen to be affiliated with any particular religion (although, while wearing my spiritual hat, I have worked extensively with clergy and other devoted spiritual persons from across almost all faiths. In fact, a close colleague who died a few weeks ago was a famed Roman Catholic remote healer; I have been advised that she has since been nominated for sainthood by Catholic clergy in three cities.) And, speaking from my unique no-religious-affiliation perspective, allow me to say that I really like your avatar image, and never once have I felt offended or disturbed by your avatar or by your screen name, nor have I felt that they were employed in a proselytizing fashion. I also enjoy the balanced perspective which you offer in your posts. Thank you! :ph34r:

I liked your comeback to ParrotRob, was well! Very clear and very light! Thank you! ;)

And, I could say a lot more about the secret and arcane, but evil, sublminal symbolism embedded in the inocous-looking parrot icon employed by ParrotRob, and how the image (along with its sublminal "imprints") is a tool of the Bavarian Iluminati and their alien reptoid reptilian allies in their plot to take control of earth and instill the New World No-Geocaching Order, but I have been asked to maintain radio silence on this matter for 13 more days, until the plans of the Earth Natives Resistance League, Fourth Synod, Third Convocation have been fully put in place. :ph34r:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

. . .I will say this... when I see a post from Vinny, it makes me want to crawl into a hole! :ph34r:

Ahem, a serious note for a moment: Please be advised that the reason that I am so frequently seen in those "holes", aka storm drain tunnels, is because I have been employed to hunt down runaway renegade adolescent radioactive black belt hamsters, which happen to hide out in such tunnels. I risk my life hunting and capturing these outlaw renegade hamsters in order to protect God and Nation and my Fellow Human Citizens, and I Do Not Appreciate Your Attempts to Poke Fun at my profession, you pusillanimous hamster-lover! :ph34r:

Seriously, fairly wide latitude is allowed in one's choice of avatars and signature lines. The moderators will, on rare occasions, ask a user to make changes in order to comply with the site's Terms of Use or the Forum Guidelines.

Oh? Why then did you make me get rid of the beautiful image of the nekkid nanny goat (with the bodacious udders), taken straight from the centerfold of the December 2004 issue of Dairy Goat Journal? sigh! ...sometimes I feel persecuted! ;)

:lol:

Cornerstone4, may I offer my perspective on your avatar? While I consider myself to be very spiritual, I do not happen to be affiliated with any particular religion (although, while wearing my spiritual hat, I have worked extensively with clergy and other devoted spiritual persons from across almost all faiths. In fact, a close colleague who died a few weeks ago was a famed Roman Catholic remote healer; I have been advised that she has since been nominated for sainthood by Catholic clergy in three cities.) And, speaking from my unique no-religious-affiliation perspective, allow me to say that I really like your avatar image, and never once have I felt offended or disturbed by your avatar or by your screen name, nor have I felt that they were employed in a proselytizing fashion. I also enjoy the balanced perspective which you offer in your posts. Thank you! ;)

I liked your comeback to ParrotRob, was well! Very clear and very light! Thank you! :lol:

And, I could say a lot more about the secret and arcane, but evil, sublminal symbolism embedded in the inocous-looking parrot icon employed by ParrotRob, and how the image (along with its sublminal "imprints") is a tool of the Bavarian Iluminati and their alien reptoid reptilian allies in their plot to take control of earth and instill the New World No-Geocaching Order, but I have been asked to maintain radio silence on this matter for 13 more days, until the plans of the Earth Natives Resistance League, Fourth Synod, Third Convocation have been fully put in place. :ph34r:

Uh oh, Illuminati, Roman Catholic Church, conspiracies abounding...

I'd better go back and read the DaVinci code again. Too many plot twists! :ph34r:

(On second thought, I heard they made a movie about it, so I'll go see that instead!)

That's just not true. The Illuminati have never used parrot symbology, and the one time it was brought up at a meeting I led the opposition in roundly rejecting it. In fact, parrots didn't even exist on Earth until 1948, when they were introduced and inserted into the collective consciousness by the Roswell aliens. Now I have to question YOUR motives in attempting perpetuate this myth.

That's just not true. The Illuminati have never used parrot symbology, and the one time it was brought up at a meeting I led the opposition in roundly rejecting it. In fact, parrots didn't even exist on Earth until 1948, when they were introduced and inserted into the collective consciousness by the Roswell aliens. Now I have to question YOUR motives in attempting perpetuate this myth.

:ph34r:

This is why I can't get my work done! ROFL

...And, I could say a lot more about the secret and arcane, but evil, sublminal symbolism embedded in the inocous-looking parrot icon employed by ParrotRob, and how the image (along with its sublminal "imprints") is a tool of the Bavarian Iluminati and their alien reptoid reptilian allies in their plot to take control of earth and instill the New World No-Geocaching Order, but I have been asked to maintain radio silence on this matter for 13 more days, until the plans of the Earth Natives Resistance League, Fourth Synod, Third Convocation have been fully put in place. :ph34r:

All that for a parrot? And here I was thinking that my avitar had Wiccan connotations and yet I was ignoring those because I just liked it.

ChesireFrog, you may wish to get your affairs in order. Because of your unwise revelations above, I have it on good authority that you will be ahem, visited, by four men dressed in black suits, driving a large black 1990 Chrysler sedan with government plates, by 4 AM tomorrow morning. Good luck! :ph34r:

ChesireFrog, you may wish to get your affairs in order. Because of your unwise revelations above, I have it on good authority that you will be ahem, visited, by four men dressed in black suits, driving a large black 1990 Chrysler sedan with government plates, by 4 AM tomorrow morning. Good luck! :ph34r:

Well, first off, they'll never find me, because I'm wearing my tin foil hat. Anyway, even if they did find me, I just put new tritium/dilithium cells in the chronosynclastic infundibulizer, so I'm ready to go at a moments notice. Finally, I've faced down tougher guys than this and they've nev

I find it somewhat ironic that I am compelled to post to remind everyone to keep on topic -- i.e., a discussion of forum etiquette. The recent posts, while very amusing, are a good illustration of "thread drift."

Well, since I started this topic, I guess I shouldn't have contributed to such a wide drift! :ph34r:

However, this drift has been enjoyable and fun, as opposed to the inflammatory posts that got me all fired up in the first place.

Geez, I had a great mental image / illustration about the difference between "Thread drift" and "thread hijacking" and now I can't post it because the topic has drifted to mutant ninja killer black-belt hamsters on a luge track, or something.

:ph34r:

Anyway, I've always thought the difference between "thread drift" and "hijacking" to be something analagous to driving.

"Thread drift" is rather like when you're on your way to the store and your passenger sees a "Yard Sale" sign. So you turn, and go to the yard sale, and oh, hey, there's another one, and another one, and so on. You may or may not ever get to the store, but a Good Time Was Had By All at the end of the day.

Hijacking, on the other paw, is sort of like if you're driving along and all of a sudden the passenger reaches over and YANKS on the steering wheel, the car makes a sudden right turn, and by the time you've stopped, you've taken out a fire hydrant, two saplings, someone's front lawn, and the car is crumpled, nose-down in someone's koi pond.

And Vinny & Sue are there, taking notes for their next Psycho Urban Cache. :ph34r:

Geez, I had a great mental image / illustration about the difference between "Thread drift" and "thread hijacking" and now I can't post it because the topic has drifted to mutant ninja killer black-belt hamsters on a luge track, or something.

Anyway, I've always thought the difference between "thread drift" and "hijacking" to be something analagous to driving.

"Thread drift" is rather like when you're on your way to the store and your passenger sees a "Yard Sale" sign. So you turn, and go to the yard sale, and oh, hey, there's another one, and another one, and so on. You may or may not ever get to the store, but a Good Time Was Had By All at the end of the day.

Hijacking, on the other paw, is sort of like if you're driving along and all of a sudden the passenger reaches over and YANKS on the steering wheel, the car makes a sudden right turn, and by the time you've stopped, you've taken out a fire hydrant, two saplings, someone's front lawn, and the car is crumpled, nose-down in someone's koi pond.

And Vinny & Sue are there, taking notes for their next Psycho Urban Cache. :(

You win! I just spewed partially eaten carrot all over my monitor and keyboard. <_<

No, I'm saying that it may be perceived that way by people. Personally, I couldn't care less if your avatar was a duck or a picture of Hitler, because I'm adult enough not to be offended by what someone says in their post (OR chooses as their avatar!). If only everyone (yourself included) could get past it as well... <_<

No, I'm saying that it may be perceived that way by people. Personally, I couldn't care less if your avatar was a duck or a picture of Hitler, because I'm adult enough not to be offended by what someone says in their post (OR chooses as their avatar!). If only everyone (yourself included) could get past it as well... :lol:

Hmmm...I must admit, if I wasn't offended, I would surely be put off if someone chose to use Hitler as an avatar.

Aside from that, I think you are mis-judging my intent here. I don't have a problem with someone voicing, or posting their opinion. It just needs to be in the appropriate place.

If Ready Or Not wants to talk about abortions...there is an off topic thread area for that. Unless of course, he finds a cache at an aboriton clinic, then, it would be approprate for this forum.

I will once again clarify...I was bothered that the topic was brought up while we were discussing the slaughter of "non-cognizant" ducks. (I used that word to avoid the discussion about the ducks ability to be "innocent.") <_<

The fact of the matter is, in this country, in that setting, it is illegal to kill ducks....

No, I'm saying that it may be perceived that way by people. Personally, I couldn't care less if your avatar was a duck or a picture of Hitler, because I'm adult enough not to be offended by what someone says in their post (OR chooses as their avatar!). If only everyone (yourself included) could get past it as well... <_<

Hmmm...I must admit, if I wasn't offended, I would surely be put off if someone chose to use Hitler as an avatar.

Aside from that, I think you are mis-judging my intent here. I don't have a problem with someone voicing, or posting their opinion. It just needs to be in the appropriate place.

If Ready Or Not wants to talk about abortions...there is an off topic thread area for that. Unless of course, he finds a cache at an aboriton clinic, then, it would be approprate for this forum.

I will once again clarify...I was bothered that the topic was brought up while we were discussing the slaughter of "non-cognizant" ducks.

Fair enough. But my opinion is that if that bothers you, you should either hang out somewhere else or get thicker skin.

Fair enough. But my opinion is that if that bothers you, you should either hang out somewhere else or get thicker skin.

I knew I shouldn't have let my wife talk me into using the new fangled moisturizing cream every night...

Well since the mods thought it was trolling (as well as most of us here) I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

and this thread was an appropriate way to address it.

edit: missing an 'an'.

Edited by BlueDeuce

YANKS on the steering wheel, the car makes a sudden right turn,

why's it got to be a RIGHT turn, are you saying something?

:(<_<:lol:

BTW, Paws. I love your caches. My first find was one of yours before I moved to florida. I used to live in Auburn.

Edited by erikwillke

But that's sort of the point, isn't it? The choices aren't either to get used to a thread getting hijacked or stop reading that thread. Otherwise the people who were interested in the status of the dead duck situation would be expected to say to themselves "Dang, I'd really like to know what happened, but since I don't want to discuss abortion I guess I'll just have to stop reading this thread."

Also, let's be honest, Cornerstone is being polite when he talks about the thread going off-topic, what happened there was trolling, ReadyorNot even labeled it as trolling in the post.

I am too lazy to read all the posts, so shoot me if this has been said already. My answer to the OP is this: entropy. It is nobody's fault that threads drift, they just do, it is the very nature of a thread. You say "A", someone refers to a close topic "B", another responder is remined of "C" etc. pretty soon you are at "Z" and wonder how you got there from "A". The mods should not let us stray beyond "C" or "D", but they are human (I think) and fallible. (Now the next poster will post something about the Pope being a moderator and off we go...)

I am too lazy to read all the posts, so shoot me if this has been said already. My answer to the OP is this: entropy. It is nobody's fault that threads drift, they just do, it is the very nature of a thread. You say "A", someone refers to a close topic "B", another responder is remined of "C" etc. pretty soon you are at "Z" and wonder how you got there from "A". The mods should not let us stray beyond "C" or "D", but they are human (I think) and fallible. (Now the next poster will post something about the Pope being a moderator and off we go...)

Well, as other folks, including the OP, have already said, the real issue is not normal thread drift, which is fun and "alive", but rather attempted hijacking of threads by hostile folks with an agenda; I have started to call them "drama queens".

Well, as other folks, including the OP, have already said, the real issue is not normal thread drift, which is fun and "alive", but rather attempted hijacking of threads by hostile folks with an agenda; I have started to call them "drama queens".

Oh well ... never mind. <_<

YANKS on the steering wheel, the car makes a sudden right turn,

why's it got to be a RIGHT turn, are you saying something?

:(:tired::lol:

BTW, Paws. I love your caches. My first find was one of yours before I moved to florida. I used to live in Auburn.

Because I drive an American-Style, Driver-on-the-left-of-the-car, vehicle. Hence, passenger on the right side of the car, and right-side person yanking on the steering wheel will make a RH turn. It's way easier to yank DOWN and toward you than it is to push UP and away. :lol:

BTW back - glad you like our caches. :tired: I remember your "this is my first cache" log.

Proper forum etiquette is always an on-topic discussion. It is fine to point out how frustrating it can be to watch a thread you're interested in get derailed by off topic posts or other forum guideline violations. Others may express a contrary view, like a belief that the conversation ought to just go with the flow, with limited moderation.

That being said, I will caution everyone in advance to steer clear of discussing the *subject matter* of the off topic post that triggered the posting of this thread.

Why? It ain't like this forum is over run with posters.

There is ENTIRELY too much filthy language on satellite radio.

How do the disk jockeys get to the satellites? Are they already in the satellite when it is sent into space or do they take the space shuttle and switch off every so often? And it must be a pretty big satellite to hold all those records they play.