Entry Level Gps?

Bible reader

I would like to buy a gpsr in the $100 range. I don't wan't a magellen, they seem too hard to use. How is the Lawrance I go2? It seems like pretty good bang for the buck, But how well does it get sat. lock? How does it compare to the etrex yellow?

I wan't to start small, not get into this $350 and decide I don't like it. I would just bet that there are a lot of other people out there that are in the same boat. Try to list some of the pro's con's of the use of each one. Ease of use is a biggie for a brand new cacher. I don't want to get in over my head and get one with too many features that is just not fun. Thankyou so much for the help. :laughing:

I'm not familiar with the Lowrance, but that brand gets good reviews in these Forums.

For just a bit more money, you can get the Garmin eTrex Legend which comes with the computer cable so you can download the waypoints from your computer. Check eBay or the Garage Sale Forum.

It is also capable of accepting the Garmin TOPO maps, should you decide you like this crazy activity and would like maps to help you on your hikes.

I don't have the exact models you are shopping around for, but I do have a Lowrance iFinder GO (the cheaper version of the GO2, with half the memory and less detailed maps) and the eTrex Summit (Yellow with an altimeter and a magnetic compass).

The Lowrance performs better than the eTrex in terms of reception, especially in tree cover. It also offers more features and options on the user interface, but if you don't like to tinker, it might be a bit overwhelming.

Other than that, I recommend the eTrex over the GO2, especially since you can hook it up to a PC to upload/download waypoints, routes, and tracks. It's also easier to use, IMHO. Hooking up a GO2 to a PC requires a bit of "hacking" and you can only download waypoints from the PC to the GPS (I tried uploading - so far no success).

For just a little more money ($129 or so), you can get the eTrex Legend, which also includes the data cable. That's what I would recommend as an entry level GPS.

I used the Go2 for a few weeks. I really didn't care for it. The big downside is that you can't download waypoints to it. It's pretty impressive at first if you look at its map memory, 1,000 waypoints, and mapping, but when you see how basic the maps are you realize they are virtually useless. And 1,000 waypoints? Big deal. You'd have to enter every one by hand :laughing: .

Here is a review I wrote for the Go2.

I agree with Miragee. Consider the eTrex Legend. You can find it for under $120 if you shop smart. It has mapping and comes with the cable so you can download coordinates and maps to the unit

Edited by briansnat

I will be using it for caching, dirtbiking, and in two years driving. A handle bar mount would be nice to have available. I had looked at the legend, but it just keeps getting one step better(legend, legendc,legendcx,vista,vistac vistacx etc.etc.) I think I would like to start as cheap as I reasonably can, and once I'm into it and have got a little more used to the terms, I might go with something like a vista c (maybe by then it will be a little cheaper). Does the summit have WAAS?What kind of batt. life does it get? It sounds like a neet starter, how much does it cost? Isn't one of the gecko series kind of similar? I will list the things that count most to me in a gps from highest to lowest.

1. price

2.ease of use to cache and track trails

3.mapping

4.battery life

5.electronic compass

Can you recomend any other gpsr? I'm just trying to do my research before I buy my first GPS. Thankyou

Edited by Bible reader

I still think the Legend is the right choice considering your criteria and planned uses. There is also the Magellan eXplorist 210 which is about $150. Its a more modern unit than the Legend with 3 times the map memory.

One more possibility is the Lowrance H20. You can find it for around $135 and it might be the best pure geocaching unit around.

Of course these units all come with base maps and if you want detailed maps you're going to have to spring for the software. I know Dicks was selling a Legend package with mapping software (Topo) and automibile adaptor cable for $200. You can also find the Lowrance H20 Plus for around $200 and it comes with the mapping software, memory card and card reader.

The electronic compass is a luxury and units that have one are pretty much out of your target price range.

Edited by briansnat

Most geocaching software I have seen is oriented toward Magellan or Garmin. I'm not sure how easy it is to geocache with a Lowrance. I am a happy owner of the yellow etrex. You can get a cable on ebay for $10 and download waypoints into it. You can probably get the etrex on ebay too for $50 or so.

I'm new to this also. I went onto the web (priocegrabber.com) and found a Magellan 400 for about 220 and then I'll get a 50 mail-in rebate so my cost delvered is 180. Its probably a little more than what I need, but I don't want to have to do it again in 6 months so I spent a little more. Who knows, I may end putting mine up for sale at a discount if I don't get into this, but with 3 boys, I really doubt it. Good luck.

Jeff

I will be using it for caching, dirtbiking, and in two years driving. A handle bar mount would be nice to have available. I had looked at the legend, but it just keeps getting one step better(legend, legendc,legendcx,vista,vistac vistacx etc.etc.) I think I would like to start as cheap as I reasonably can, and once I'm into it and have got a little more used to the terms, I might go with something like a vista c (maybe by then it will be a little cheaper). Does the summit have WAAS?What kind of batt. life does it get? It sounds like a neet starter, how much does it cost? Isn't one of the gecko series kind of similar? I will list the things that count most to me in a gps from highest to lowest.

1. price

2.ease of use to cache and track trails

3.mapping

4.battery life

5.electronic compass

Can you recomend any other gpsr? I'm just trying to do my research before I buy my first GPS. Thankyou

If you buy an eTrex Summit new, it's supposed to support WAAS. If you buy one from a discount bin, or second-hand, chances are it won't. Not sure if firmware updates make a difference. Battery life is about 12-16 hours using Alkaline batteries.

Consider electronic compass as a luxury feature. It's convenient to have, but you have to calibrate it every time you remove batteries from the unit, at least for the eTrex Summit. You can always use a classic compass.

As mentioned above, Magellan eXplorist 210 seems to be a good choice also. I still recommend the eTrex Legend.

If you are confident you'll be using the GPSr for a while, then consider expanding your price range for a better overall unit. Buy cheap and upgrade later philosophy always gets you in the pocket book. :laughing:

We have 3 Garmin GPSr's:

The Rino

The Venture

the Yellow

All are good, and all will bring you to the spot. We got all of them for under $120 each at Ebay. I love the way the plain old yellow one navigates BUT I wouldn't recommend it. It takes a very tedious process to program it. However, I've never attached the cable to it with GSAK, so maybe it is quicker to do than I realize.

The Venture and the Rino program faster. The Rino takes 3 batteries instead of 2, but if I disable the radio feature, its battery life will far outlive the GPSr's with only 2 batteries, so it is worth it to me. It also functions as a walkie-talkie, and you can locate where other members of your team are if they're not right with you.

Does the summit have WAAS?What kind of batt. life does it get? It sounds like a neet starter, how much does it cost?

The Summit is basically a yellow eTrex with a compass. It doesn't have mapping. I personally think you're better off spending the extra money on mapping unit and getting a $10 handheld compass.

Comparing a Summit to a Legend:

Waypoints

Summit - 500

Legend - 1,000

WAAS

Both

Mapping

Summit - no

Legend - yes

Electronic compass

Summit - yes

Legend - no

Battery life

Summit - 16 hrs

Legend - 18 hrs

MSRP

Summit - $214

Legend - $160

I have owned both a Magellan (SporTrak Pro), and a Garmin (60CS). They are both excellent pieces of equipment. If you have never used either you will have nothing to unlearn about the way they operate so one will not be any harder to learn then the other. The only reason I bought a Garmin instead of another Magellan was the features of the Garmin, specifically the way Garmin implemented auto-routing. I would suggest the Garmin Legend. It costs a bit more than $100 but the extra money gives you a cable to interface with your computer and the ability to load maps later on when you have more money to spend.

Since your number #1 concern is price and your last concern is electronic compass, I would definitely recommend the eTrex Legend over the eTrex Summit. Also, with the mapping capability, the Legend can get you started for driving on major highways with the built-in basemap, and then you can always purchase the mapping software as an "upgrade" for more mapping details. The Legend isn't ideal for driving use, but is usable, and costs considerably less than the $500 navigation models.

Think of the Legend as a basic model with sufficient features and memory that you can upgrade later by purchasing software. Cost is a little over your $100 limit if you purchase it new, but it'll save you money over purchasing a eTrex Yellow now and then later purchasing a different unit because it doesn't have the capability to upgrade. Plus the Legend has some of your desired features that the Yellow doesn't have.

The only time the electronic compass really would help you is if you stand in one place and then turn in another direction. As long as you are walking or don't turn while stopped, the electronic compass isn't really needed.

Hope this helps,

medoug.

Thankyou very much for all of the replys. :o I would really like to have a color screen and mapping availability, but I think I will go with the legend. I was asking about the summit because I thought it was cheaper. What advantage does the Vista C have over the Legend C. If I skip the buy one, upgrade later mindset then maybe a legend C would be good. Do you think there is any reason for me to want the cx model? By the way, How does a firmware update work? How much does it cost? The more I spend on the base model the less I spend on software. Where do you recomend buying from that has good prices on the legend and the legend C? Thankyou for all of your help for a noobie :sad:

Now that the 'x' units are out, the Legend C and Vista C have been discontinued. I bought a brand new, in the package, Legend C on eBay for less than $200.00. thumbsup.gif

The Legend C is capable of auto-routing you around unfamiliar places with the optional City Select maps installed. Of course, the maps will run you another $100.00 or so . . . :sad:

I really appreciate the auto-routing feature, since I often drive through unfamiliar areas to get to where I want to cache.

I would like to buy a gpsr in the $100 range. I don't wan't a magellen, they seem too hard to use. How is the Lawrance I go2? It seems like pretty good bang for the buck, But how well does it get sat. lock? How does it compare to the etrex yellow?

I wan't to start small, not get into this $350 and decide I don't like it. I would just bet that there are a lot of other people out there that are in the same boat. Try to list some of the pro's con's of the use of each one. Ease of use is a biggie for a brand new cacher. I don't want to get in over my head and get one with too many features that is just not fun. Thankyou so much for the help. :sad:

i bought my firs gps 3 weeks ago and its a magellan explorist 210 and i think its simple to use. i paid $155 for it.

I

don't wan't a magellen, they seem too hard to use

That depends on what some one is use to, a freind of mine is use to his Garmin Legend but finds my Magellan 500 hard to use, I am use to my 500 and I find his legend hardet to use.

For the money the Magellan Exporist 210 is a much better deal than the Garmin Legend.

With the $30.00 reblate in the Exp. 500 you can find them for about the same price as the Legend

The Explorist 210 is a better deal because

THe explorist has a better reciever

Explorist 210, 22MB of memory for maps-Garmin Legend 8MB

Explosrist will do auto routing with direct route software, the Garmin legend will never do auto routing

Explorist will allow the storage of caches in seperate files that can be broken down into cache type, location, difficulty etc, the Garmin will not allow this feature

Magellan Topo software includes all street names, Garmin does not.

I was looking for the legend C and gpsonsale.com has a cx for $230. Has anyone bought from this site befor?

It seems like a pretty good deal. What is your opinion?

Thankyou, you guys are so helpful! I have already changed my mind about tactics on buying a gps since I started this thread.

I was looking for the legend C and gpsonsale.com has a cx for $230. Has anyone bought from this site befor?

Thankyou, you guys are so helpful! I have already changed my mind about tactics on buying a gps since I started this thread.

That's a good price for the Legend CX. Also, check your local Target. Some people have reported finding the Legend C there for $99.

I'm assuming your priorities have changed since the Legend C/CX are considerably more expensive (price was your #1 preference) and color wasn't even a top 5 priority before. It's O.K., I change my mind a lot too. There have been several times that I wished I could better tell a gray road from a gray stream on my B/W Legend, and a few times when I wished I could load more map information (the Legend C has 24MB while the standard Legend only has 8MB.)

Good luck in your decision,

medoug.

Edited by medoug

Yeah, My priorities have changed. The first set of priorities listed were for a starter gps that would eventually have traded for something better. I am buying the something better first in the form of a legend C or cx. I am planning to have this unit for at least several years.

Thankyou for the response!

Since You're moving on up so to speak perhaps you might want to also look at a 60C, or CX. This is a somewhat larger model that has some additional features. The 60C has a color screen, does autorouting and had 64 meg of ram for maps. It does not have a compass or a barometer. I have a 60CS with both of these and should have saved my money. Now that the CX is out you should be able to get an excellent price of the 60C. The 60CX is the replacement model. It allows you to add a memory card the largest of which is 1 gig. This whill hold a whole lot of maps. It also has a sirfIII processor with gives it much better coverage under heavy tree cover, something that my 60CS is a bit weak on. I have seen reports of people maintaining a good look inside and office building. Something that no GPS that I have owned (I have owned a Magellan and a Garmin) are able to do, so it depends on how far up you wish to move. Remember the Legend CX does not have surfIII. Only the 60CX, 60CSX, 76CX and the 76CSX will have that feature. Hopes this doesn't add to much to the confusion

I wan't to start small, not get into this $350 and decide I don't like it. I would just bet that there are a lot of other people out there that are in the same boat. Try to list some of the pro's con's of the use of each one. Ease of use is a biggie for a brand new cacher. I don't want to get in over my head and get one with too many features that is just not fun. Thankyou so much for the help. :ph34r:

I bought a used Garmin 12XL from the pawn shop and it works great.Had to download a manual and buy a cable for downloading waypoints.Found my first 3 caches today and enjoying it. Good luck on deciding:))

I am almost decided on the legend cx but a few more questions, Can I load topo and city select on at the same time? How does it do under cloud cover? Thankyou!

Yes, you can load both. When you are hiking, you can "Hide City Select." Then, when you get back to your car, you can "Show City Select."

I have accidentally asked my Vista C to "Follow Road" with City Select "Hidden" and the GPSr is not happy if I do that when I am miles from any base-map road . . . :ph34r: I try not to do that anymore . . .

Yeah, My priorities have changed. The first set of priorities listed were for a starter gps that would eventually have traded for something better. I am buying the something better first in the form of a legend C or cx. I am planning to have this unit for at least several years.

Thankyou for the response!

Hey Bible reader!

I've used GPS for years but haven't owned a GPSr personally. (borrowed many - Aviation panel units, GPS III, Street Pilot i3, eTrex Legend, Rino, GPSmap 60, various Magellan and Lowrance units)

I'm sold on Garmin for their user interface; while you WILL adapt to anything you buy and it will become second nature, the Garmin is the most elegant out of the box.

While I recently ordered a GPSmap 60cx due to the SIRF antenna and expandible memory, the eTrex was VERY close and a fraction of the price.

The eTrex Vista gives you 24megabytes of memory versus the Legend's 8megabytes. If you can live with the memory constraint, the eTrex Legend is a big enough leap up from the entry-level, non-mapping units I suspect you're going to be extremely pleased with it. If you can find a used or discounted Vista, while you might not use the compass or altimeter, you get more memory to play with, load maps etc.

Don't worry about colour vs. black and white screen; Garmin does an excellent job with either type of display. B&W will save you a bunch of $.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Chris in Montreal

Edited by af895

Just get a Gramin ETrex Legend and be done with it. I've been using GPS for a longer than geocaching has existed and I can tell you that the whole object of any of them is to convert satellite signals into waypoints. I got my Legend at Walmart for around $150.00, and while I was disappointed (at first) that it didn't have a color readout, I quickly learned that it doesn't make any difference. I've used it while flying (I'm a professional pilot) and can tell you that the accuracy was as good as the $35,000 jobs we had in the airplane. None of them are going to work underground or under much of a tree canopy, but they all work pretty well out in the open. Cloud cover isn't an issue - GPS was developed for military aviation use in the first place.

The color units are better than the monochrome Legend. They have newer technology . . . not just a color screen. They get a lock faster, will hold the lock better under tree cover, and, if you get the City Select maps, will auto-route you around unfamiliar areas. thumbsup.gif

If someone has $230.00 to purchase the Legend Cx, instead of only $130.00 to get the Legend, they should get that newer, better GPSr because they will not have to upgrade so soon.

The color units are better than the monochrome Legend.

Battery life is also signifigantly longer on the color units. That was the deciding factor for me, as I bought it primarily for backcountry ski touring and backpacking (though geocaching has since become its primary use). ;)