Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Bjornian

I Need Help W/ Morse Code

I have been trying to pass my element 1 for 6 years. I just recently got my tech, but I have good ability on the general test. I have tried tapes, software, and my father (Amateur extra) but nothing is working.

I have been trying to pass my element 1 for 6 years. I just recently got my tech, but I have good ability on the general test. I have tried tapes, software, and my father (Amateur extra) but nothing is working.

THe only thing that worked for me was the MFJ moorse code tutor, it is about the size of a deck of cards and is very easy to carry woth you.THis give the flexability to practice whenever you want to . It also helps if you only practice for about 15 minutes at a time, any more than that at on time can be over kill.

I tried the tapes with not luck. I also tried software, but it was to much of a hassle to practice unless I was at home.

THe moorse code requirement is on the way out, it may be gone by the fall, some of the old timers do not want to accept this, but it will happen, THe international CW requirement is already gone, so it is just at matter of time before it is gone in the USA also.

I hated code, i still hate code!

what i did was just continually listen to the gordon west radio shack tapes and pratice copying for about a month, and in the end i passed by copy, xx number of characters right in a row. lol

Edited by Nero

All the code courses work, you just need to find the right one for you.

I have found when teaching CW that if a student was really struggling, I would let them use or suggest they get Code Quick. They offer the program on DVD and tapes as well as a software package.

Now before anybody jumps on the "That makes it harder to get to any real speed" I have known many who have broke the 30 WPM threashold after orginally learning this way. I have also seen many who passed the 5 WPM and then never touched code again, but a few years later, they remebered either the code or the sound alike. Do what works for you.

Having said this, dealing with the company/owner is a pain. Not getting the product, that's very fast, however customer service is as foreign to him as CW is to you now, but he has a solid product. Go figure.

Besides being a jerk, he put a goofy protection scheme on his software that, if you got a new computer, forced you to buy a new software registration code. It was easily bypassed by simply dating the computer back to the original date and then inputting all you original registration and serial number info again, but still a pain. This was a couple years back, but I am told it is still there.

One piece of advice, if you have convinced yourself that code is hard, it will be. It just takes time. It's another language, just simpler than any other you will ever try to learn. Prior to the reduction in requirements, there were kids under 10 doing 20 WPM +. If they can do it, and even more impressive if *I* can do it, so can you.

Edited by baloo&bd

Dont hold your breath on the code going away anytime in the next year or two. It will happen, just take a bit.

Code quick worked for me. I hate cw so I was able to pass my 5 wpm in less than a week. Then my 13 in less than a month. THen I forgot it.

BRad

I'll offer a couple suggestions.

First read The Art and Science of Radio-Telegraphy. It gives a whole different perspective on listening to and learning CW

Then get the G4FON software & work with it a couple times a day, EVERY DAY, for about a half hour each setting.

I got my 5 WPM several years ago when I took my tech test. At the time it was 13 for the general & try as I did *I* couldn't get past 8 to 10. When the FCC relaxed the requirement I took the written & was good to go. BUT I still couldn't copy code worth a crap. Then I read Pierponts online book & my whole outlook changed. A few weeks with G4FON & I felt comfortable enough to work some of the slow sta's on HF.

*MY* goal is to be comfortable at ~~22~~. Currently I can get 15 on a good day. I will get there sooner or later and yes, I do enjoy CW.

--... ...-- JW

Hi, Tony G0VRE here. I did what nearly everybody who teached CW calls TABOO.

I learnt to SEND CW first. The reasoning behind this is: if you have a couple of minutes to spare, you can just look at anything that is written down and practice sending it. That way you get to know which characters you need to practice because you just stop when trying to send them.

I feel that you need to give them a "sound" or "catchphrase" ie

A = Aware .-

B = Bar Billiards -...

C = Charlie Farley -.-.

Find a phrase which you can remember for each character and you will quickly build up and recognise them.

Take it from me, a few of us at our local club learnt this way and it WORKS.

Good Luck and Stick At It.

Tony, G0VRE

Edited by antattack

I can send CW (with almost all letters) at 20 WPM. I can receive at 2 words per minute (.--. .- .-. .. ...). I can pass the written for general and (in practive test) can sometimes pass written for extra. So I would be doing great w/o code.

It sounds as if you are having problems with the dreaded code. Take heart there have been many in your situation who have eventually overcome the block.

I can only pass on the method used by my father G3DCV Snr. when he was alive to teach me the dreaded code to get my full UK licence. He was a ex WW2 operator, CW contester and member of FOC untill he became silent key. His speed was in excess of 45wpm and taught CW for many years.

When I was taught there were no fancy gtizmo's as the MFJ etc and was lucky if had portable tape recorder, thats giving my age away.

Ok enough of the waffle.

Once you have learnt the characters you then have to live, eat and breath CW. That includes converting the words on the cornflakes packet at breakfast, converting all the the road signs to CW and every motor licence plate. It should be said that this should be done silently in your head or as we would say over here in the UK you would be carted off to the funny farm!

Instead of listening to your favourite sounds, listen to pre prepared tapes in the car or on personal mp3 player as it would be today. Get someone to make them using technical text so you cannot preempt the text.

Even though you may not be able to read it just listen to the CW, eventually the words will fall into place.

However, when listening to these, as it has been said no more than 15 - 20 mins.

Stop trying to identify each individual character and start listening to the sounds of the words, just like a foreign language.

In my experience over the years I have found that most of the top CW contesters in the world have had a musical ear.

Practice, practice, practice and realy want to learn.

However, not all can get on with CW, and again as said before it is now an out dated mode in todays technology.

Eventually I passed, and ended up as an FOC member, operating international CW competetions at over 40wpm.

I really hope this will be of some use and help in your quest to crack the code.

Good luck

G3DCV Jnr.

However, not all can get on with CW, and again as said before it is now an out dated mode in todays technology.

Wow, based on this logic, why have an amateur license? I have internet, a cell phone and landline among many other "new" technologies.

Anyone, I mean anyone, can learn CW. Please don't take offense, but if someone ius really struggling, more often than not it is a negative perception, mybe even unkown to the individualm that is holding them back.

Hang in there, it will click in place one day.

I agree with Johnny Vegas and recommend the MFJ Code Tutor. I used it years ago to pass the 13 and 20 wpm tests. Like he said , you can use it in the car, during breaks at work (with headphones.)

I recommend setting the character speed to 18 wpm so that you can recognize the sound of each character. Then with the overall speed at 5, it will be easy with the big spaces between the characters. However, you must go to a VE that uses a similar "Farnsworth" speed setup.

Anyone can pass, all it takes it time. I found it took me 100 hours to go from 5 to 13 wpm, and 100 hours of practice to go from 13 to 20 wpm. Then you will never forget it and can use it on the air. The most rewarding things take time to achieve. I also found that you will work/contact much more DX (international stations.) For the typical Ham with 100 watts and a one element antenna, it is 10 times easier to make "rare" contacts with CW compared with phone/voice/SSB.

Wow, based on this logic, why have an amateur license? I have internet, a cell phone and landline among many other "new" technologies.

Anyone, I mean anyone, can learn CW. Please don't take offense, but if someone ius really struggling, more often than not it is a negative perception, mybe even unkown to the individualm that is holding them back.

Why have a licence???? For one good reason, if something were to happen (Hurricane, Typhoon, Earthquake, ect) where will your Cellphone, internet, or hardline get you? If to even HAVE an amateur licence at all, that would be the main reason. Hams talk, TECH JUNKIES get cut off........

Why have a licence???? For one good reason, if something were to happen (Hurricane, Typhoon, Earthquake, ect) where will your Cellphone, internet, or hardline get you? If to even HAVE an amateur licence at all, that would be the main reason. Hams talk, TECH JUNKIES get cut off........

errr....ummm...sarcasm.