Crazy Children!

I don't know if this will count as youth in the age group you are looking for but.... I work at a local community college. The Physical Geography teacher on campus found out about geocaching and wanted to start including something about it in class. One of his students worked with me in the computer lab and got us in touch with each other. I showed up for about a half a dozen classes helping them learn how to use the GPS'rs that the school bought. I also spent the last class with them going over the GC.com website and showing them how to navigate it and review the rules of the game.

What we learned from the first time around.

We have a total of 6 Extrex yellows and a pair of 60csx. It was best for the class to all use the same model.

We found it better to play a game with the GPS'rs first by having them try to locate a waypoint in an empty area and mark what they think is the location with a flag of some kind.

Then the teacher hid some containers across campus and the students went in teams to find the containers.

Finally, the students went to different areas designated by the teacher, hid a container with a log book and give a hint. Then the students went around and looked for caches that the other teams hid.

During one of the early classes, I went into an area and hid two different sizes of caches. I had the class look, and if they found it, they would go stand near a tree. I told them not to be obvious about the fact that they found it so that others would have to find it for them selves.

During the hint stages, may of the students were using terminology from the class to imbed into their hints. This suprised the teacher.

I'm not sure of the program names, but our local Wallenpaupack Area Middle School has two active caches started as an experiment by teachers and students. There was also a group called GeoDawgz that just completed one of our caches that started as a geocaching club at a high school in Bradford, PA if I remember correctly. You could find either pretty quickly and email for more info I think.

:laughing: Here in the Milwaukee area we have cacher, WhitnallGPS, who is a teacher at Whitnall middle school and use geocaching as a teaching tool in his classroom. His 6th grade math classes have both hidden caches as well as hunted caches in the area. He has been highlighted on our local FOX tv news channel (Fox6) by weatherman Vince Condella who has also recently been bitten by the geocache bug.

Note: WhitnallGPS may have recently changed his handle to Green&Gold (he's a BIG Packer fan).

It is not a primary activity for the group, but I was introduced to Geocaching through the Trailblazers. Despite the name, it is simply a father / Son group from a local Y and the name has little to do with our activities. One of the Dad's was into it and we did two nice caches on a winter campout. My Son and I were hooked. Now the whole family enjoys it and I am trying to introduce it to the Father / Daughter group I also do. I took one other Father / Daughter out shortly after I got my GPS and it was a hit.

There are several teachers in our local area that Geocache and as a result teach it to their classes. One of them, who has most of the hides here, has a bit of a course at the school she teaches at. She has 16 caches on the school grounds, they aren't GC registered. She teaches PE at an Elementary School. Actually she let one of her kids in on my new cache then went active today and the student beat her to it for FTF. We were there to capture it all and it was great fun!

A teacher in our area, Geospider, has hidden a series of caches, several with different classes, spanning a period of several years. After having chased down some of these caches, I really respect the elementary school kids who hiked to some of these remote areas, and have a special appreciation for the teacher who brought them there, and the lessons that must have accompanied these caches. It sounds like a great class project.

Edited by ravens3

A teacher in our area, Geospider, has hidden a series of caches, several with different classes, spanning a period of several years. After having chased down some of these caches, I really respect the elementary school kids who hiked to some of these remote areas, and have a special appreciation for the teacher who brought them there, and the lessons that must have accompanied these caches. It sounds like a great class project.

Edited by ravens3