Just Wondering

Slainte

Two questions:

- I see on the website that I should be able to search for caches by entering an address, yet I see no opportunity to do this. What really obvious thing am I missing this time?

- Can I adjust the size of the search area reported when I enter a zip code or other set of parameters? Can I do areas of one mile, three miles, five miles, etc. from a given point?

- OK, three questions. I understand the need to ask permission to set a cache on private property. Having determined that a spot isn't private, do folks really go to the trouble of contacting the appropriate authorities (BLM, USFS, etc.) before setting up shop? The national park restriction makes sense, but if you have to scramble for official sanction every time a cache needs setting, it seems it would take away some of the fun and spontaneity of the sport/ game/ whatever. Is there an unspoken "Don't ask; don't tell" philosophy?

I just reread my own post above, and realised the first two questions might be a little vague. They refer to the website itself, not the use of a gps. I'd like to search the site for cache locations relative to a specific street address. I understand how to do this using zip codes, keywords, and so forth, but I don't see how to search using an address as the starting point. I hope that hasn't confused things even more. Thanks for your patience.

Two questions:

- I see on the website that I should be able to search for caches by entering an address, yet I see no opportunity to do this. What really obvious thing am I missing this time?

- Can I adjust the size of the search area reported when I enter a zip code or other set of parameters? Can I do areas of one mile, three miles, five miles, etc. from a given point?

- OK, three questions. I understand the need to ask permission to set a cache on private property. Having determined that a spot isn't private, do folks really go to the trouble of contacting the appropriate authorities (BLM, USFS, etc.) before setting up shop? The national park restriction makes sense, but if you have to scramble for official sanction every time a cache needs setting, it seems it would take away some of the fun and spontaneity of the sport/ game/ whatever. Is there an unspoken "Don't ask; don't tell" philosophy?

The only way I know of searching by address is using google earth. You can punch in your home co-ords and go from there, though.

The only way I know of adjusting the size of the search area is using Pocket Queries, a premium member feature.

As far as asking permission, the official and best answer is yes, always ask permission. I usually use the Frisbee rule, however. The Frisbee rule was created in the forums, and states that any place you wouldn't need permission to play Frisbee, you shouldn't need permission to place a cache. The whole permission thing is a contentious issue in the forums, however, so beware.

Nope and Nope for the first two.

In the US only, the Google Maps interface has an address search. Start here

You can increase the distance of the zip code search and the coordinate search by adding "&dist=100" to the end of the resulting website address. That pushes it out to 100 miles (the max).

Two questions:

Where do you see this? If it says that somewhere, it needs to be changed.

It's on the Advanced Search Page.

It's been mentioned a few times in the forums that it needs to be changed since the address search was disabled (about 2 years ago if I remeber correctly).

64dd2642-2534-4a03-891c-7c9b96cb6b03.jpg