60cx Screen Burnout

man, what a bad day.

My batteries died in my gps, so I replaced them. Energizer 2500 NiMhs. I put them in, and I noticed an orange dot appear on my screen. I took a quick peek at my batteries, and they were in correct, but were getting hot. I popped them out, not good. I was planning on doing a lot of caching with the kids over the labor day but no joy I guess. I'll contact Garmin tomorrow, see what they say.

I remember seeing posts on this before, but I didn't have any luck searching. I'm hoping that someone who had this happen will see this post, and reply.

man, what a buzzwrecker.

EDIT

Tried a different set of 2500Mah Energizers, and I still get the orange dot, but the unit appears to power up when I press the power (ie it beeps as it turns on). If I put the original set in, I get the orange dot, and when I power on, no beep. I'm starting to wonder about the batteries. If it turns out to be the batteries (which are new) I will be HIGHLY irate.

Edited by drbugs

I have been using those Energizer 2500 NiMH batteries in my Vista C for many months. I have also used them in a monochrome Vista and a Legend C with no problems.

Maybe someone else will have an explanation for what happened.

The only battery problem I have heard about with that GPSr is with brand new Lithium batteries.

I'm sorry that happened . . . :D

I was seriously considering purchasing a 60 series, but seeing all the problems they seem to be having, I think I'll wait. Kind of like buying a first year model of car; you never know what types of problems will arise. Good luck.

(edit for sp.)

Edited by GeoSapper

I have been using those Energizer 2500 NiMH batteries in my Vista C for many months. I have also used them in a monochrome Vista and a Legend C with no problems.

Maybe someone else will have an explanation for what happened.

The only battery problem I have heard about with that GPSr is with brand new Lithium batteries.

I've used the energizer nimhs for years with no problems. I just got another 4 (2500's). Not sure what is up. I'm a little paranoid at this point, at least with these two.

I remember seeing this posted before, around feb or march, but have had no luck so far finding it.

I'm sorry that happened . . . :D

Me too!

;->

ok, after a bit of work I've found the previous issues. Same problem as me too.

Topic One

and another person with the dot of death

EDIT

After reading the above, I tried connecting via USB and it works. The screen lights up and I have a nice looking screen, except for the hole in the LCD screen.

Man I'm bummed. I took thursday and friday off to do a bunch of caches with the kids. Was hoping to get 100 this weekend.

Edited by drbugs

I was seriously considering purchasing a 60 series, but seeing all the problems they seem to be having, I think I'll wait. Kind of like buying a first year model of car; you never know what types of problems will arise. Good luck.

One thing I've learned is that on the "net" for every report of a problem there are at least 10 people out there with things that are working just fine. People just don't post to say "my unit is working fine". That's not to say there aren't some problems with the 60 C(S)x series, but they are being worked.

I've got a CSx and have been "bitten" by both the altitude and (WAAS) loss of signal after a tunnel. The altitude problem seems to have been fixed, and right now I'm not missing the WAAS. I still think it's a great unit, especially in the woods, I'd buy it again!

Rick

One thing I've learned is that on the "net" for every report of a problem there are at least 10 people out there with things that are working just fine. People just don't post to say "my unit is working fine". That's not to say there aren't some problems with the 60 C(S)x series, but they are being worked.

I've got a CSx and have been "bitten" by both the altitude and (WAAS) loss of signal after a tunnel. The altitude problem seems to have been fixed, and right now I'm not missing the WAAS. I still think it's a great unit, especially in the woods, I'd buy it again!

Rick

ya know, I have to agree with you. Overall I've been extremely happy with the unit. I'm currently on the phone with Garmin now, so I really expect they will come through for me. I would buy this unit again.

ok, garmin just rocks. I got on the phone a little after 8am. Went through the VMX selection in a minute or so, then on hold for about 5 minutes. Within another 4 or 5 I had the RMA (the help guy had to complete his login into the system while I was on line with him).

Man, this level of help is impressive. still a bit bummed that I'm without a unit for a week or so, but I really dig the hassle free approach to support.

drbugs -

Really sorry to hear about your unit. I know we got ours about the same time (I opted for the 60csx) from the same vendor, so we have a similar history. I haven't been caching as much as I'd like, so I'm sure you have a little more mileage on your unit. Glad to hear that Garmin is being responsive to your problem. Keep us posted.

-HB

drbugs -

Really sorry to hear about your unit. I know we got ours about the same time (I opted for the 60csx) from the same vendor, so we have a similar history. I haven't been caching as much as I'd like, so I'm sure you have a little more mileage on your unit. Glad to hear that Garmin is being responsive to your problem. Keep us posted.

-HB

Tx HokieBird! I remember when you got your unit. Except for this one event, I've had great luck with it, and Garmin so far has been awesome.

I do use it a lot, caching, and driving to work (which 99 percent of the time isn't needed, unless there is a bad traffic jam). It's a 35 mile ride, so it gets used. My thought was to wear it out before the warrenty, kinda like a long burn-in period.

I'll post results when I get it back. I'm gonna overnight it to garmin.

ok, garmin just rocks. I got on the phone a little after 8am. Went through the VMX selection in a minute or so, then on hold for about 5 minutes. Within another 4 or 5 I had the RMA (the help guy had to complete his login into the system while I was on line with him).

Man, this level of help is impressive. still a bit bummed that I'm without a unit for a week or so, but I really dig the hassle free approach to support.

Garmin does rock. The rubber was coming loose off my well-used Vista C. I called and got an RMA number . . . but didn't want to be without a GPSr while it was being repaired. I delayed sending it in for a while.

Instead of repairing my GPSr, which was working perfectly, they sent me a new one . . . that didn't have all the dings and scratches the other one had "earned" while Geocaching . . . :laughing:

I put them in, and I noticed an orange dot appear on my screen.

Which firmware version did you have on your unit? I'm wondering whether this is an issue in early firmware or in early hardware revisions.

2.70 firmware and 2.50 software.

Got my unit back today. It was actually at UPS friday, but they wouldn't let me pick it up. 2 weeks without caching! I think I would have had it last week if it wasn't for the holiday.

They sent me a new unit, and transferred my old waypoints and serial number. When I checked the software/firmware versions, it listed "GPS SW Version 2.5" and didn't list a Software version. It was pretty fast finding itself, considering the last time it was on was in kansas. It took about 32 seconds (I had a clock) to start reporting posistion error. Not bad.

I'm hoping to take the family caching tomorrow. I still have to unlock my maps which were on my 128mb flash. When the unit powers up, it says "can't unlock maps". I expect that shouldn't take garmin long according to the helpdesk.

Overall, I'm very very pleased with my support that garmin provided. bummed that it broke, but what the hey, stuff happens. At least garmin made it as painless as possible.

The invisisheild people are sending me my free (plus S/H of 2.95) replacement screen, so I hope to have that really soon.

Now on to find number 100!