Extreme Caches

I'm looking for extreme caches...Northernmost, Southernmost, Highest Altitude, Lowest Depth, Hottest Climate, Coldest Climate, Wettest Climate, Driest climate, Smallest cache, Largest cache, Most Expensive cache, Riskiest, Easiest, Most obvious, least obvious, Best hidden, Foggiest, Most beautiful view, Most repulsive view, Cleanest area Dirtiest Area, I'm running out of ideas here but oyu get the idea. If you have seen any of these please post them.

SERIOUS REPLY: There are actually a number of rather comprehensive previous threads which covered this topic quite thoroughly. If you wish to take a look at some of them, you may wish to do a quick search, using the forum SEARCH feature, on the term "extreme".

NOT-SO-SERIOUS REPLY: There are no extreme caches of any type left anywhere on this planet. The only caches still remaining on this planet are lame urban micros, mostly drive-by caches located on massive paved parking lots in mindless and sterile urban and suburban settings.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The Adirondack Murder Mystery is a 21 stage multi-cache that leads the foolish adventure-seeker through some of the most beautiful country in the world, but also up pathless peaks, through bottomless bogs, over and under lonely and pristine lakes and ponds, on late-night hikes into bear-infested wilderness, and scaling cliffsides to solve a murder mystery set in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York (and...get a nice custom-made button proving that you solved, and survived, the cache).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6d-5bc9c204ad53

Jamie - NFA

The Adirondack Murder Mystery is a 21 stage multi-cache that leads the foolish adventure-seeker through some of the most beautiful country in the world, but also up pathless peaks, through bottomless bogs, over and under lonely and pristine lakes and ponds, on late-night hikes into bear-infested wilderness, and scaling cliffsides to solve a murder mystery set in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York (and...get a nice custom-made button proving that you solved, and survived, the cache).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6d-5bc9c204ad53

Jamie - NFA

Me and rayne are definately giving this a try this summer :lol:

Well, the southwestern-most cache in the continental US is called (appropriately enough) None More Southwesterly (GCJMVQ) and I had the opportunity to visit it a couple months ago with some wonderful folks from the San Diego area. In fact, the picture currently in my profile is of our group near that cache.

It's not an extreme cache in terms of difficulty, but it does meet the criteria mentioned in the OP. How often do you get to say "hi" to some people standing in Mexico, greet a US Border Patrol officer, snap a picture of a United States Boundary Marker, get your feet wet in the Pacific Ocean, and score a find? Nowhere but here! :lol:

Here is a really extreme cache... Bedrock in Baghdad. Numerous persons of the American/British military literally are in the warzone around this cache, risking their lives for freedoms that include the right to geocache in a free world. Oh... sorry... it's been archived now, even though it is still there, because of the utter insensitivity of a very few GW4 cachers who logged this cache while at a meet thousands of miles away from the actual cache. Now, even those who validly want to find this cache cannot. It seems ironic that people who thought to honour the troops seemingly have very little honour concerning how they log their caches.

Edited to add a link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-a9d4f6882d54

Edited by ArcticNomad

Thanks for the plug, Nomad. Your segway into a larger issue is clever.

However, a point of order. Bedrock in Baghdad does not get shot at very much. However, there is one that seems to be a common target (for a while, I had to check every couple of nights to make sure the cache wasn't blown up)...

"If paying attention to your surroundings and ensuring hot metal is not flying through the air to tear into your flesh was not quite enough fun, then be glad that this cache is a micro, and planted in a tree that bites. " :laughing:

Actually, there are a number of extreme caches in my area that I'd love to get to someday, but this one probably won't ever be done by me, since a helicopter ride from any nearby town to this site would be wildly expensive, unless you happen to be working in the area or have friends in 'high' places!

GCQ4V3 1059

Here's another: GCQFNT (Sail Lake - End of the Road!). It would require an overnight camp along the route, as the nearest community is 170 km away, and the 'road' is in very poor condition, so average driving speed would be very slow. We did a 'nearby' cache GC1B71 Caribou Jaw several summers back, and it took us nearly 6 hours of driving (total), and I think the confluence cache Caribou Jaw - Confluence is about 2/3s of the way in to GCQFNT by road.

edited a link...

Edited by ArcticNomad